Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good call #TeamJackDelRio
Bengals interested in bringing him in as DC.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1086963497668407297
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yaaaaaaas.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
That'd be spectacular.
Reply/Quote
Callahan and Del Rio would be perfect hires for Taylor - 2 experienced coordinators both with head coach experience.

Edit - I was thinking of the wrong Callahan for OC. Although his former experience as a HC would be valuable if they bring him in to coach the o line.
Reply/Quote
Oh yes please! There’s even a house on my cul-de-sac he could buy.
Reply/Quote
Callahan and Del Rio would be perfect hires for Taylor - 2 experienced coordinators both with head coach experience.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 11:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: Bengals interested in bringing him in as DC.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1086963497668407297

Reply/Quote
Also hearing there's interest in John Fox as DC as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:10 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Also hearing there's interest in John Fox as DC as well.

That would be okay too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Here’s my entry from January 5, 2018 about Jack Del Rio:

+++

Everyone who knows me knows I’m a YUGE fan of what Jack Del Rio has done in his career as a defensive coordinator and as a linebacker coach. Does the name Ray Lewis ring a bell? He might be the best linebacker I ever saw* and Jack was his position coach in Baltimore under the best defensive coordinator I ever saw: Marvin Lewis. As defensive coordinator Jack turned both the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos into defensive powerhouses. We also know Marvin and Jack have been friends for decades and I can slam-dunk guarantee you those two have been texting and talking ever since the Son of Al unceremoniously fired Jack.

Here’s the thing: Jack Del Rio sees himself as a head coach. That’s both good and bad. Jack, however, isn’t an effective head coach and I say that with respect. Yes, he had some good years in Jacksonville and a stellar 12-4 season in Oakland in 2016 but he’s actually won less than Marvin as a head coach. Jack is a defensive coordinator, period...

...which means Mike Brown will have to open his wallet and make Jack an offer he can’t refuse. Marvin will have to sweeten the pot a little by guaranteeing Jack hiring power over defensive free agents, a seat at the table for the draft with significant input, and maybe even offer him the “assistant head coach” position now that Paul Alexander is, ahem, finally poop-canned.

Jack Del Rio is waiting for the phone to ring for head coach interviews. I don’t think they will materialize.

Finally, Mike and Marvin need to convince Jack that the defensive coordinator job in Cincinnati is a great job. Look at all the talent the Bengals have on defense! Jack could mold Vontaze Burfict into a non-homicidal version of Ray Lewis. He could turn George Iloka into a gigantic twice as mean version of Ed Reed. Who wouldn’t want to have the chance to develop great players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and the soon to have his own “island,” William Jackson III?

*Vontaze Burfict might turn out to be better. We’ll see.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see JDR come here. Would be nice to see the improvements to this defense.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Here’s my entry from January 5, 2018 about Jack Del Rio:

+++

Everyone who knows me knows I’m a YUGE fan of what Jack Del Rio has done in his career as a defensive coordinator and as a linebacker coach. Does the name Ray Lewis ring a bell? He might be the best linebacker I ever saw* and Jack was his position coach in Baltimore under the best defensive coordinator I ever saw: Marvin Lewis. As defensive coordinator Jack turned both the Carolina Panthers and Denver Broncos into defensive powerhouses. We also know Marvin and Jack have been friends for decades and I can slam-dunk guarantee you those two have been texting and talking ever since the Son of Al unceremoniously fired Jack.

Here’s the thing: Jack Del Rio sees himself as a head coach. That’s both good and bad. Jack, however, isn’t an effective head coach and I say that with respect. Yes, he had some good years in Jacksonville and a stellar 12-4 season in Oakland in 2016 but he’s actually won less than Marvin as a head coach. Jack is a defensive coordinator, period...

...which means Mike Brown will have to open his wallet and make Jack an offer he can’t refuse. Marvin will have to sweeten the pot a little by guaranteeing Jack hiring power over defensive free agents, a seat at the table for the draft with significant input, and maybe even offer him the “assistant head coach” position now that Paul Alexander is, ahem, finally poop-canned.

Jack Del Rio is waiting for the phone to ring for head coach interviews. I don’t think they will materialize.

Finally, Mike and Marvin need to convince Jack that the defensive coordinator job in Cincinnati is a great job. Look at all the talent the Bengals have on defense! Jack could mold Vontaze Burfict into a non-homicidal version of Ray Lewis. He could turn George Iloka into a gigantic twice as mean version of Ed Reed. Who wouldn’t want to have the chance to develop great players like Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, and the soon to have his own “island,” William Jackson III?

*Vontaze Burfict might turn out to be better. We’ll see.

Good writeup

Reply/Quote
My only concern with del Rio or other former head coaches is I don't want them leading a new young head coach astray. Either directly or inadvertently their successes and failures might be impressed upon Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:30 PM)Benton Wrote: My only concern with del Rio or other former head coaches is I don't want them leading a new young head coach astray. Either directly or inadvertently their successes and failures might be impressed upon Taylor.

From what little I've listened to Taylor speak, he seems very capable of establishing himself as the "smartest guy in the room", without having to come out and say anything alluding to that fact.  Meaning that I think that he'll have very little difficulty in establishing that this is HIS team, and that he wants his staff to effectively manage their respective parts of it, in the way he wants to see it done.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 12:30 PM)Benton Wrote: My only concern with del Rio or other former head coaches is I don't want them leading a new young head coach astray. Either directly or inadvertently their successes and failures might be impressed upon Taylor.

I think with a young offensively minded coach, a grizzled DC with head coaching experience is key.

Look no further than McVay and Wade Phillips.
Reply/Quote
Del Rio would be a "Grand Slam" hire as DC in my book.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Del Rio has spent 4 years as a DC:

Panthers

2002 - 2nd in yards allowed - 5th in points allowed - 7th in takeaways

Broncos

2012 - 2nd in yards allowed - 4th in points allowed - 16th in takeaways
2013 - 16th in yards allowed - 22nd in points allowed - 16th in takeaways
2014 - 3rd in yards allowed - 16th in points allowed - 14th in takeaways

So obviously the guy knows how to coach a good defense, and he is a 4-3 guy which is basically a must with our personnel. And of course, he has 12 years of HC experience since 2003. He'd be a fantastic hire. We should consider ourselves lucky to have him. If we get him, of course.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Del Rio has spent 4 years as a DC:

Panthers

2002 - 2nd in yards allowed - 5th in points allowed - 7th in takeaways

Broncos

2012 - 2nd in yards allowed - 4th in points allowed - 16th in takeaways
2013 - 16th in yards allowed - 22nd in points allowed - 16th in takeaways
2014 - 3rd in yards allowed - 16th in points allowed - 14th in takeaways

So obviously the guy knows how to coach a good defense, and he is a 4-3 guy which is basically a must with our personnel. And of course, he has 12 years of HC experience since 2003. He'd be a fantastic hire. We should consider ourselves lucky to have him. If we get him, of course.

Doesnt he run that 4-3 2 gap front? 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Doesnt he run that 4-3 2 gap front? 

Yes.  ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Doesnt he run that 4-3 2 gap front? 

Yep, he was the few coaches that knew how to use Pot-roast (the player).

Maybe Billings can find his niche in that role.

Reply/Quote