Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good call #TeamJackDelRio
Sources said that Raiders quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan, son of legendary offensive line coach Bill Callahan, would be a top choice to serve as an offensive coordinator, while the defensive staff is likely to be considerably more experienced. Taylor would like be able to mirror the model Rams coach Sean (McVay) put in place, landing an accomplished defensive coordinator who himself had prior experience as a head coach. In this case, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and former Panthers, Broncos and Bears coach John Fox are very high on his list, with hopes of landing one of them to run his defense.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/20/18190391/nfl-rumors-jack-del-rio-john-fox-bengals-zac-taylor-list-rams-news-raiders
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 01:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Del Rio would be a "Grand Slam" hire as DC in my book.

Yes he would. Rock On
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: Sources said that Raiders quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan, son of legendary offensive line coach Bill Callahan, would be a top choice to serve as an offensive coordinator, while the defensive staff is likely to be considerably more experienced. Taylor would like be able to mirror the model Rams coach Sean (McVay) put in place, landing an accomplished defensive coordinator who himself had prior experience as a head coach. In this case, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and former Panthers, Broncos and Bears coach John Fox are very high on his list, with hopes of landing one of them to run his defense.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/20/18190391/nfl-rumors-jack-del-rio-john-fox-bengals-zac-taylor-list-rams-news-raiders

Already got one of these. 

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Good-call-TeamJackDelRio

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Quote:For the past three weeks, most of the news surrounding the Cincinnati Bengals’ coaching staff has been more about who’s getting fired than who’s getting hired.

We know Zac Taylor is the Bengals’ preferred choice to become their next head coach, but there hasn’t been any word regarding who Taylor’s coordinators will be. There is now.

Per Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, Taylor plans to hire a seasoned defensive coordinator to run his defense, and a fellow young and offensive mind is the favorite to become his offensive coordinator:

Sources said that Raiders quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan, son of legendary offensive line coach Bill Callahan, would be a top choice to serve as an offensive coordinator, while the defensive staff is likely to be considerably more experienced. Taylor would like be able to mirror the model Rams coach Sean (McVay) put in place, landing an accomplished defensive coordinator who himself had prior experience as a head coach. In this case, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and former Panthers, Broncos and Bears coach John Fox are very high on his list, with hopes of landing one of them to run his defense.

This makes sense for a number of reasons. McVay has not only been successful in his first two years because his mind for offense is so extraordinary, but he’s also had the luxury of leaning on an elite and battle-tested defensive coordinator in Wade Phillips.

Del Rio and Fox haven’t garnered any known interest around the league for their services this month, as both have spent the last year away from the sidelines of any team. The two have a combined 39 years of coaching experience as a coordinator or head coach in the NFL, and fit the mold of an ideal defensive coordinator hire to a young offensive-minded head coach.

As for Callahan, there’s an obvious family connection that allows us to connect the dots a bit. He’s the son of current Redskins’ offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who is heavily rumored to be joining Taylor’s staff as well under the same position. The younger Callahan has just nine years of NFL coaching experience, with most of that being a quarterbacks coach, like Taylor.

We won’t know who will be calling the plays on offense until both the head coach and offensive coordinator are hired, but we can safely assume that the defensive coordinator will be given free rein over the defense like Phillips has in Los Angeles. Taylor knows he’s been a part of a successful formula for the Rams, and it appears he’s attempting to take advantage of it when it becomes his turn to run the show.

I'd love to see Del Rio running the defense.

Reply/Quote
I'd prefer Del Rio.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 03:13 PM)BengalChris Wrote: https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/20/18190391/nfl-rumors-jack-del-rio-john-fox-bengals-zac-taylor-list-rams-news-raiders

I'd love to see Del Rio running the defense.

Check the Zac Taylor/coaching sub forum.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 03:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Check the Zac Taylor/coaching sub forum.

Laugh, we seem to have several threads on this. LOL

Reply/Quote
I'm all about Del Rio. Hopefully the Saints pull off a win tonight so he can get farted hiring staff and scouting the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 03:41 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm all about Del Rio. Hopefully the Saints pull off a win tonight so he can get farted hiring staff and scouting the draft.

Per my sig, I think we have similar views on what a relieving offseason would look like.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 01:57 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Del Rio would be a "Grand Slam" hire as DC in my book.

I was surprised we hired Austin in the off season instead of Del Rio, given that he was a Marvin guy.  Maybe he just wanted to sit out a year, or Marvin genuinely preferred Austin.   Shocked

More generally, the thing that makes me most excited is the obvious change in approach over the last two years.  Last season they finally got around to running off Paul Alexander and effectively getting two starting OL (Glenn and Price) with one draft pick.  Now, this year we have credible rumors of hiring Zac Taylor to be head coach, firing assistants with time left on their contracts, possibly bringing in Bill Callahan to coach OL, and today being in the mix for competent, experienced (read 'expensive') DC candidates like Fox or Del Rio.  The Bengals sound like a real NFL team.  This kind of activity is the norm for most of the league; but, obviously, has not been for the Bengals.  Gives me some hope they'll evolve on the player acquisition front, too.   

Most optimistic I've been in many years.  Just typing that makes me worry that I'm setting myself up for disappointment.  Can you tell I've followed this team for decades?   LMAO
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 03:41 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm all about Del Rio. Hopefully the Saints pull off a win tonight so he can get farted hiring staff and scouting the draft.

We always want our coaches to get farted as soon as possible.. You know..let the gas out before it becomes painful and so on..  Yeah, I know..not funny, but what else could I do at this point?  Right now I'm ok with Del Rio. We'll see as time goes on though.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I good with JD as DC.

I'm not sure where the Fox rumors came from. The dude took two different franchises to the Super Bowl as HC, so I can't imagine he is willing to go back to being a DC.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:50 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I don't know if it's been mentioned yet.

It sounds very likely that he might possibly be are next defensive coordinator. At the very least they are interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25805270/jack-del-rio-expected-candidate-cincinnati-bengals-defensive-coordinator%3fplatform=amp

Until after the HC is officially announced, and the Assistants have all be named and things are settled, all Bengals Coaching related threads will go into this forum, rather than Jungle Noise.  Please check the Zac Taylor and Bengals coaching sub-forum, before posting, going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Simple response

I would shit unicorns if we got Del Rio.

Reply/Quote
Either would be a very good choice. I'd maybe like Fox a little better. He's coached in two SBs as HC, hasn't he?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Del Rio or Fox either one is fine by me. Fox has coached in SBs as a HC, and everyone already knows Del Rio is a great DC. How bout this FO starting to look like a legit franchise?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Doesnt he run that 4-3 2 gap front? 

Isn’t that the strahan defense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 04:27 PM)BRM13 Wrote: I was surprised we hired Austin in the off season instead of Del Rio, given that he was a Marvin guy.  Maybe he just wanted to sit out a year, or Marvin genuinely preferred Austin.   Shocked

More generally, the thing that makes me most excited is the obvious change in approach over the last two years.  Last season they finally got around to running off Paul Alexander and effectively getting two starting OL (Glenn and Price) with one draft pick.  Now, this year we have credible rumors of hiring Zac Taylor to be head coach, firing assistants with time left on their contracts, possibly bringing in Bill Callahan to coach OL, and today being in the mix for competent, experienced (read 'expensive') DC candidates like Fox or Del Rio.  The Bengals sound like a real NFL team.  This kind of activity is the norm for most of the league; but, obviously, has not been for the Bengals.  Gives me some hope they'll evolve on the player acquisition front, too.   

Most optimistic I've been in many years.  Just typing that makes me worry that I'm setting myself up for disappointment.  Can you tell I've followed this team for decades?   LMAO

Just another sign that Mike Brown is done and that the younger generation is more like Paul Brown.  Wink

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 06:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Del Rio or Fox either one is fine by me. Fox has coached in SBs as a HC, and everyone already knows Del Rio is a great DC. How bout this FO starting to look like a legit franchise?

Me too. I totally forgot about fox being out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Del Rio is the exact type of DC we need here. Former Linebacker and great DC in his time. He also seems to keep up with the times and we have a lot of talent on our Defense even if it did not show last year. Mostly cause of Austin, surprised Marv didn't hire Del Rio last year over Austin....

But hey, if he did we would not be in this position right now having a new HC lol

I think things are working out for the best.

Would be happy with Fox too, just prefer Del Rio as he was a former Linebacker.

Linebackers are our biggest weakness right now. I know, Marv was a Linebacker but neither of these guys were good HC's, they are Defensive Coordinators and that is what they are great at. Bring in Del Rio.
Reply/Quote