Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good call #TeamJackDelRio
How fantastic would it be if we landed Jack? Im not going to get too excited till it goes down. Let Taylor build his dream team.

So excited how we cleaned house.....and surprised..
Reply/Quote
Count me in the John Fox camp. If Taylor goes for a young and but promising assistant coach, I would keep an eye on Ejiro Evero, Rams safety coach.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Fox or Del Rio would be big wins. Love that Taylor understand he needs some coaches with experience.

Also hoping that the Redksins will not block Callahan. Would be another big win for Taylor.

Love that the front office (at least it seems) is allowing Taylor to bring in who he wants. That's a great sign.
Reply/Quote
well according to this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Del_Rio

" In January of 2019 Del Rio was named defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals. "

Now take that for what you will as wiki is well wiki
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well according to this

" In January of 2019 Del Rio was named defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals. "

The gun.....it has been jumped.
Reply/Quote
I kept trying to search for the type of defense JDR runs. I am glad it was stated he runs the 4-3 defense. I would hate to transition to a 3-4.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2019, 12:42 AM)GodFather Wrote: How fantastic would it be if we landed Jack? Im not going to get too excited till it goes down. Let Taylor build his dream team.

So excited how we cleaned house.....and surprised..

You and me both GF. Although I'm a little surprised with the Callahan announcement (although it wasn't announced by the Bengals). the week after the SB is going to be pretty exciting. Well, at least we hope anyway.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 05:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I good with JD as DC.

I'm not sure where the Fox rumors came from.  The dude took two different franchises to the Super Bowl as HC, so I can't imagine he is willing to go back to being a DC.

His great fall from grace happened in Chicago and his replacement kind of cemented his legacy for now anyway. I suspect he'll be resurrected soon enough somewhere.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2019, 02:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: Sources said that Raiders quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan, son of legendary offensive line coach Bill Callahan, would be a top choice to serve as an offensive coordinator, while the defensive staff is likely to be considerably more experienced. Taylor would like be able to mirror the model Rams coach Sean (McVay) put in place, landing an accomplished defensive coordinator who himself had prior experience as a head coach. In this case, former Jaguars and Raiders coach Jack Del Rio and former Panthers, Broncos and Bears coach John Fox are very high on his list, with hopes of landing one of them to run his defense.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/1/20/18190391/nfl-rumors-jack-del-rio-john-fox-bengals-zac-taylor-list-rams-news-raiders

Not as thrilled about Fox as I would be Del Rio.  I think they need a stronger presence with a kick-you-in -the -seat-of=your-pants attitude.  Del Rio would have guys running through walls and playing with energy.  Give him a FA LB, a high draft pick LB and this defense would be better than in some time and immediately competitive.  

I think the offense was there already, but injuries and a most boring, predictable scheme killed them down the stretch.  
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not as thrilled about Fox as I would be Del Rio.  I think they need a stronger presence with a kick-you-in -the -seat-of=your-pants attitude.  Del Rio would have guys running through walls and playing with energy.  Give him a FA LB, a high draft pick LB and this defense would be better than in some time and immediately competitive.  

I think the offense was there already, but injuries and a most boring, predictable scheme killed them down the stretch.  

Yep we need a DC that's gonna kick @zz and take names and get aggressive ! No more of this playing on our heels. Give me Del Rio
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 11:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep we need a DC that's gonna kick @zz and take names and get aggressive ! No more of this playing on our heels. Give me Del Rio

I think that's what the defense has been missing since Zimmer.  They don't take the offense out of their gameplan, they just sit back and hope they make a mistake.  It seemed to me that Austin never looked to exploit an offense's weaknesses, he played the same basic scheme no matter what.  Granted, I only got to watch a couple of games, so I may be mistaken.  But if someone like JDR can come in here and actually make an attempt to disrupt the opposing offense, I think that will make a huge difference (that and new LBs).
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 12:21 PM)Earendil Wrote: I think that's what the defense has been missing since Zimmer.  They don't take the offense out of their gameplan, they just sit back and hope they make a mistake.  It seemed to me that Austin never looked to exploit an offense's weaknesses, he played the same basic scheme no matter what.  Granted, I only got to watch a couple of games, so I may be mistaken.  But if someone like JDR can come in here and actually make an attempt to disrupt the opposing offense, I think that will make a huge difference (that and new LBs).

Right on

Defenders have to play with aggression ! Like you say you've got to try and disrupt their game plan.  You can't ask your D to put on tutu's and expect the ball to just fall in your lap.

And yes we just lined up in base 4-3 zone, little to no blitzing, little to no disguise, stunting, nothing. Then you add in our LBer's and we might as well have said we're just out here to get our @zz kicked so whatever you want to do will work.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well according to this

Wiki gets a bad rap. Their info is almost always factual, and if someone messes with a page, they usually fix it pretty quickly.

That said, this is clearly a case of someone jumping the gun and altering the page. Take it with a grain of salt.

I do expect JDR to be named DC - as most info coming out has been pretty accurate - but a big name like JDR will probably wait for Taylor to be confirmed after what happened with McDaniels last year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Not as thrilled about Fox as I would be Del Rio.  I think they need a stronger presence with a kick-you-in -the -seat-of=your-pants attitude.  Del Rio would have guys running through walls and playing with energy.  Give him a FA LB, a high draft pick LB and this defense would be better than in some time and immediately competitive.  

(01-25-2019, 11:50 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep we need a DC that's gonna kick @zz and take names and get aggressive ! No more of this playing on our heels. Give me Del Rio

Damn rights, the exact reason why i want Del Rio over Fox, nothing against Fox.

Things seem to be shaping up nicely with Callahan and if we can get Del Rio our biggest weakness would be getting fixed soon with the LB core. Del Rio won't stand for that shit we witnessed last season.
Reply/Quote
I would actually prefer us switching to a 3-4 hybrid than a 4-3 2 gap. I'm not sure why everyone considers JDR a defensive prodigy looking back on his career I see nothing that really stands out to me.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 06:44 PM)Okeana Wrote: I would actually prefer us switching to a 3-4 hybrid than a 4-3 2 gap.  I'm not sure why everyone considers JDR a defensive prodigy looking back on his career I see nothing that really stands out to me.

I think the whole "4-3 2 gap" principal is situational, at best.  By nature, a 4-3 is a single gap defense.  Typically, the only time a 2-gap technique is employed in a 4-3, is when they are going to drop a lineman into coverage, to compensate for a backer coming on a blitz.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think the whole "4-3 2 gap" principal is situational, at best.  By nature, a 4-3 is a single gap defense.  Typically, the only time a 2-gap technique is employed in a 4-3, is when they are going to drop a lineman into coverage, to compensate for a backer coming on a blitz.

I would like to see a situation where we are not committed to either a 3-4 or 4-3. However, our defense is not tooled for this flexibility. Baltimore runs more of a hybrid like Okeana mentioned and they are successful at it and have been since Ray Lewis. Granted, we have historically owned them, so having the right captains on the field and the right coaches as well are key. Problem with running a hybrid is if you don't have the right guys, it doesn't work. Plus side is it makes an OC crazy because it's harder to gameplan against a defense. 

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 07:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would like to see a situation where we are not committed to either a 3-4 or 4-3. However, our defense is not tooled for this flexibility. Baltimore runs more of a hybrid like Okeana mentioned and they are successful at it and have been since Ray Lewis. Granted, we have historically owned them, so having the right captains on the field and the right coaches as well are key. Problem with running a hybrid is if you don't have the right guys, it doesn't work. Plus side is it makes an OC crazy because it's harder to gameplan against a defense. 

The best "true" explanation of using a 2-gap technique in a 403, is tough to find.  This guy does a pretty good job of explaining it, in his blog post from August of 2015.  But honestly, I don't think that it's anything that the Bengals haven't already done at various points in time throughout the years.  Like I said, it's pretty situational.

http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/two-gap-one-gap-defensive-line-revisited.html

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The best "true" explanation of using a 2-gap technique in a 403, is tough to find.  This guy does a pretty good job of explaining it, in his blog post from August of 2015.  But honestly, I don't think that it's anything that the Bengals haven't already done at various points in time throughout the years.  Like I said, it's pretty situational.

http://footballislifeblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/two-gap-one-gap-defensive-line-revisited.html

The NFL is getting away from 2 gap fronts because they can move pass rushers inside. That is why Wade Phillip's single gap 34 defense is becoming popular.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 08:33 PM)Synric Wrote: The NFL is getting away from 2 gap fronts because they can move pass rushers inside. That is why Wade Phillip's single gap 34 defense is becoming popular.

If you ask me, they're all just "flavors of the month".  The best defense is the one that your team can execute to perfection, with the personnel that you have on hand.

Sure, stunts and blitzes are great, so long as you can stop a team in base on 1st and 2nd down, and only have to pull those tricks out on 3rd or critical downs.  Otherwise, you look like the Bengals the past three seasons, pulling out all the stuff on 1st and 2nd down, and then standing their holding their jocks, as they get beat on 3rd down..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote