Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Good coaching makes a difference
The Bengals need good coaching. Zac Taylor is not the answer. Look at Tannehill for instance, he looks like a completely different player now with the Titans. Coaching makes a difference and unfortunately we have a clown as the head coach
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:05 PM)Trademark Wrote: The Bengals need good coaching. Zac Taylor is not the answer. Look at Tannehill for instance, he looks like a completely different player now with the Titans. Coaching makes a difference and unfortunately we have a clown as the head coach

The Titans have a better OL, better RB, better WR's and a better TE.  Tannehill has only been sacked 3x this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:05 PM)Trademark Wrote: The Bengals need good coaching. Zac Taylor is not the answer. Look at Tannehill for instance, he looks like a completely different player now with the Titans. Coaching makes a difference and unfortunately we have a clown as the head coach

While I completely agree with your statement, your example isn't a very good one.  Tannehill left a team devoid of talent and was inserted in to a team with a great rushing attack, offensive line, and a few weapons that was backed by a solid defense.  A better example would be just to say what the Rams did with a new coach vs. an old dud.  Had similar talent, and they made it work, while Fisher was letting Goff be third string.  

I hear what you are saying, though.

The Tannehill example could provide insight that a lot of pressure and poor surrounding cast early in a career doesn't kill a QB, though, as many think.  Tannehill probably thinks he is driving a Ferrari coming out of a Yugo.  Maybe the same can happen for Burrow if they ever stop being satisfied with duds and make real changes on the offensive line.  I don't even care if Hart is our RT as much as the RG and LG have got to go.  If XSF comes back and is great, maybe, but he has shown a history of injury.  They need studs at those two positions.  And they probably need to get one in FA.  Maybe they could get Thuney next year after a year on the franchise tag?  
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Titans have a better OL, better RB, better WR's and a better TE.  Tannehill has only been sacked 3x this year.

I'm not sure I agree regarding the WRs, at least on paper.

Corey Davis has never been a 1000 yard WR and AJ Brown just barely hit that mark.
Adam Humphries is an ok WR3 but nothing more than that.

Tyler Boyd has more yards per game average than TN's top WR.
If the Bengals were getting the play out of AJ Green they expected/hoped (legit WR1), I would have said both Green and Boyd are better than any of the TN WRs. Higgins and Tate make a better WR3-4 than what TN has.

The big problem is Green isn't doing what we're used to seeing before his 2018 injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure I agree regarding the WRs, at least on paper.

Corey Davis has never been a 1000 yard WR and AJ Brown just barely hit that mark.

If the Bengals were getting the play out of AJ Green they expected/hoped (legit WR1), I would have said both Green and Boyd are better than any of the TN WRs. Higgins and Tate make a better WR3-4 than what TN has.

The big problem is Green isn't doing what we're used to seeing before his 2018 injury.

agreed
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure I agree regarding the WRs, at least on paper.

Thing is, Boyd had 148 targets last year compared to 84 for Brown.  Brown caught a higher % of his targets, had more yards/target, and he's an outside receiver compared to a slot guy.

If Green was producing like he was a few years back, I'd agree with you, but I would have to give the Titans the edge now.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 04:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: Thing is, Boyd had 148 targets last year compared to 84 for Brown.  Brown caught a higher % of his targets, had more yards/target, and he's an outside receiver compared to a slot guy.

If Green was producing like he was a few years back, I'd agree with you, but I would have to give the Titans the edge now.

An inside guy vs an outside doesn't really matter nowadays. At the end of the day, it's yards and TDs.

I'd take a pre-2018-injury AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, and Higgins over Brown, Davis, and Humphries.
If Ross and Tate played anything like they did last year, the Bengals would have a better overall WR corp than TEN by a pretty big margin.

But yes, all of Green, Tate, and Ross are underperforming, and those it looks like TEN has the better receivers right now.

Completely agree with OL though, TE probably too. I think Mixon might be closer to Henry's production if he had the same caliber OL, but Mixon and Henry are different style RBs.

Biggest difference aside from OL, in my opinion, is the offensive scheme.
Titans are a run-in-down-your-throat offense.
Bengals are a spread pass oriented offense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Look at Cleveland. They finally got the HC right.

Cleveland is about to be good for awhile. Along with Baltimore and Pittsburg.

It'll be awhile before we can compete.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:24 PM)Whatever Wrote: The Titans have a better OL, better RB, better WR's and a better TE.  Tannehill has only been sacked 3x this year.

So you feel like Adam Gase, and the clowns before him (some of whom are currently employed by the Bengals) did a good job coaching Tannehill? Why couldn't Mariota win with these better RBs, WRs, Jonnu Smith, and that line?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 10:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Look at Cleveland. They finally got the HC right.

Cleveland is about to be good for awhile. Along with Baltimore and Pittsburg.

It'll be awhile before we can compete.

Cleveland still has a big turd at QB and WR1. If they can keep the success sure but those two fold at the slightest bit of adversity.
Reply/Quote

Although they did draft Higgins, they really had a lot of eggs in this basket.  That, and way too much faith in the likes of Jordan and Hart.  Hart, to be fair, has been what they needed him to be:  average.  But Jordan has been awful and his horrible play has been compounded by the injury to XSF and the trio of backups that are backups for a reason.  

Hope Higgins can continue to elevate his play, that Ross somehow contributes, and perhaps Adeniji gets some snaps at RG.  I doubt the season can be salvaged in to a playoff run, but it would be nice to have some of those questions answered before the offseason.  
Reply/Quote