Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good game but 34 total rushing yards
No team can prosper with that kind of stats. Yeah the Seahawks didn't do much better with 72 yards rushing. Overall I was impressed with the Bengals D and aggressiveness on offense but it is going to be a very long season if they can't run the ball. Sure it was week 1, an extension of sorts from the preseason, but a team has to be able to run a bit better than that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
I *think* they went into this game expecting Seattle to key on the run which is why the Bengals went so pass happy out the gate. And if that's the case, it worked wonderfully.

If this becomes a pattern, then yes, we have a problem.
Reply/Quote
This right here is the real issue.

Reply/Quote
They were challenging us to beat them in the air and stuffed the box. I saw one play where our oline opened up a huge whole and Wagner was just waiting there. It's going to take the fans time to adjust but it looks like we have a air-raid type offense. Perhaps why we put money into Gio
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I don’t understand why they kept trying right up the middle. The few runs that did work were Gio bouncing outside.

Reply/Quote
Looking at the box scores it seems the Bengals were only beat by the Redskins for less rushing yards so far this week.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Seattle played to shut down the run and they did. Our OL is a patchwork in progress and I dont think any of our coaches expected we would be able to run as much as they would like to against Seattle's monster DL anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:37 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Looking at the box scores it seems the Bengals had the least rushing yards so far this week, with the Falcons in 2nd.

Seattle played the NE six man front that stonewalled the Rams in the SB.  I give credit to Zac for knowing that and taking what the D was giving.  It  appears he learned something from the SB failure.  Seattle was just not going to give up yards on the ground.

I'm not saying we don't need to find a way to run the ball.  We absolutely do.  But trying to force the issue today would have been fruitless.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:42 PM)McC Wrote: Seattle played the NE six man front that stonewalled the Rams in the SB.  I give credit to Zac for knowing that and taking what the D was giving.  It  appears he learned something from the SB failure.  Seattle was just not going to give up yards on the ground.

I'm not saying we don't need to find a way to run the ball.  We absolutely do.  But trying to force the issue today would have been fruitless.

I think it comes eventually. It's just going to come the opposite way we expected. We all thought they'd use the run to set up the pass. Seems we may end up using the pass to set up the run.

If the Bengals continue to have this type of success through the air, the yards on the ground will come.
Reply/Quote
Any chance we move Glenn inside and keep Smith at LT. I thought he played pretty admirably tonight.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They were challenging us to beat them in the air and stuffed the box. I saw one play where our oline opened up a huge whole and Wagner was just waiting there. It's going to take the fans time to adjust but it looks like we have a air-raid type offense. Perhaps why we put money into Gio

I can see that especially when AJ is back but I think 2.4 yards per carry is a bit of a concern.  Hopefully this game garnered enough information to correct that.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:49 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I can see that especially when AJ is back but I think 2.4 yards per carry is a bit of a concern.  Hopefully this game garnered enough information to correct that.

So you're Pete Carroll and you're going up against a rookie HC and you don't know what to expect.  The best, most reasonable assumption you can make is that his offense will be the Ram's offense.  First thing you're gonna want to do is make them one dimensional.  Since the strength of your defense is your front seven, it stands to reason that denying the run is the way to go and that's exactly what they did.

If it wasn't for a VERY inopportune heavy rain, an inexcusable 15 yard penalty from a veteran who damn well should know better and a missed FG, we'd be some very happy campers right about now.  I know, woulda, shoulda, coulda, but this seems like a situation where finding the silver lining matters.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:48 PM)Brimey Wrote: Any chance we move Glenn inside and keep Smith at LT. I thought he played pretty admirably tonight.

Andre Smith always was a great left tackle which was his natural position at Alabama. His footwork never truly meshed with playing right tackle. Anyway you’re right: Andre played very well today.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 09:45 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think it comes eventually. It's just going to come the opposite way we expected. We all thought they'd use the run to set up the pass. Seems we may end up using the pass to set up the run.

If the Bengals continue to have this type of success through the air, the yards on the ground will come.

You beat me to it.

Since forever on most teams they've ran the ball to set up the pass. The times are changing ! The run game will come around
Reply/Quote
I don't know if Andre "played well"...

He did what he had to do. But it was pretty ugly at times.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:09 PM)McC Wrote: So you're Pete Carroll and you're going up against a rookie HC and you don't know what to expect.  The best, most reasonable assumption you can make is that his offense will be the Ram's offense.  First thing you're gonna want to do is make them one dimensional.  Since the strength of your defense is your front seven, it stands to reason that denying the run is the way to go and that's exactly what they did.

If it wasn't for a VERY inopportune heavy rain, an inexcusable 15 yard penalty from a veteran who damn well should know better and a missed FG, we'd be some very happy campers right about now.  I know, woulda, shoulda, coulda, but this seems like a situation where finding the silver lining matters.

Oh I found the silver lining.  Overall I was pleased with the result even though it was a loss.  I just thought the run stats were worth notice even when a team was trying to stop it.  But with a guy like Mixon that lead the AFC in rushing last year the Bengals are going to see that a lot.  So I guess maybe they should still see not being able to run over 34 yards as a bit of a concern even when other teams are stacking against it.  I guess maybe I kind of like the idea of being able to force the issue and imposing their will even when the other team is trying to prevent it.  Man that would be a great team.

I'm too drunk to talk about this anymore a and need sleep.  :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't know if Andre "played well"...

He did what he had to do. But it was pretty ugly at times.

He had that penalty in the red zone and Clowney and Jefferson beat him multiple times.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2019, 10:13 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andre Smith always was a great left tackle which was his natural position at Alabama. His footwork never truly meshed with playing right tackle. Anyway you’re right: Andre played very well today.

I didn’t think Andre played very well at all...

He was serviceable, but I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to compliment his game.

Reply/Quote
We all knew before going into this week that run blocking was never going to be above average. They’ve improved pass blocking but run blocking has been atrocious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Alfred Morris was released yesterday in order to accommodate Zeke on the Cowboys roster. Perhaps we should take a look this week.

I honestly never want to see us run Gio up the middle on 4th and 1 again. that was a pathetic call.
Reply/Quote