Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Good guy gone bad: Kitna slams Bengals
(03-11-2021, 05:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yep. I have a kegerator in my office with four kegs of homebrew.

Awesome.CheersDrunk
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 05:18 PM)Earendil Wrote: Your thread title sucks and you should feel bad... Tongue

Well I mean reminding free agents of the Bengals ugly incompetent history 5 days before Free agency isn't helpful to the cause Kitna! Sheesh. Not helpful for the bad press and the mocking.

Good time to remind people on this board, free agency is a 2 way streak. They must want to come here. As we saw last year with a significant push for top lb's (like we plan to for the oline this year). None wanted to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well I mean reminding free agents of the Bengals ugly incompetent history 5 days before Free agency isn't helpful to the cause Kitna! Sheesh. Not helpful for the bad press and the mocking.

Good time to remind people on this board, free agency is a 2 way streak. They must want to come here. As we saw last year with a significant push for top lb's (like we plan to for the oline this year). None wanted to come.

I'm just yankin' your chain man. :)

But you might be right, Kitna should have kept this story to himself for a bit longer.  Hopefully though, any FA would realize that a twenty year old story isn't necessarily representative of the current culture of the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 06:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well I mean reminding free agents of the Bengals ugly incompetent history 5 days before Free agency isn't helpful to the cause Kitna! Sheesh. Not helpful for the bad press and the mocking.

No FA is going to decide not to come here over something like this from 20 years ago LOL. I swear, the shit people worry about...

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:57 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Chris Henry. Guaranteed.

Thats what I was thinking too
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 04:07 PM)jason Wrote: I'm drinking on the job as we speak... Self employment is the way to go.

Drinking is more enjoyable when you have a boss other than self.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No FA is going to decide not to come here over something like this from 20 years ago LOL. I swear, the shit people worry about...

This...

Players don't read this shit, and if they're taking sage advice from retired veterans, Jon Kitna ain't one of them. I think a guy like Chad Johnson carries more weight, and he's been a great ambassador for the Bengals and Cincinnati when it comes to modern day players.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't see a single thing where he, "Slams the Bengals."

Agreed. I don’t see it that way at all and I doubt he means it that way.

But hey, there’s still a large percentage of this fanbase that thinks Carson “quit on the fans” so what do I know? Whatever
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 08:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Thats what I was thinking too

Chris was my first thought as well but he wasn’t drafted until 2005 and Kitna never played on the field with Chris...

Wait.... unless... that playoff game where Chris “hurt his knee” Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 10:26 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Chris was my first thought as well but he wasn’t drafted until 2005 and Kitna never played on the field with Chris...

Wait.... unless... that playoff game where Chris “hurt his knee” Ninja

Henry hurt his knee on the same play as Palmer did.  He never saw the field with Kitna as QB

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 03:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm sorry, but I don't see a single thing where he, "Slams the Bengals."

Agreed.  And I am willing to bet it was Darnay Scott.  He was the last remnant of "cancer corner" of the locker room and we all know about Chad and TJ.  

I remember hearing stories of how Akili Smith would be incredible hung over in practice.  That guy had some serious issues with the bottle as well.  

I agree with others that I thought Kitna was above this kind of thing.  Bad kitty.  
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: This...

I think it's naïve to think players don't take teams reputations into consideration when deciding to sign with them in Free agency. Obviously some posters don't realize this. I didn't think it was a "hot take" at all. Actually quite cool. Freezing take actually for it being so known and obvious.

Reply/Quote
Showed up an hour before the game, drunk, and still put up nearly 200 yards? Hell, I’d say there are some free agents out there that are now attracted to Cinci after hearing this news.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 11:12 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Showed up an hour before the game, drunk, and still put up nearly 200 yards? Hell, I’d say there are some free agents out there that are now attracted to Cinci after hearing this news.

Haha not as good as pitching a no hitter on LSD, but impressive nonetheless.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 11:12 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Showed up an hour before the game, drunk, and still put up nearly 200 yards? Hell, I’d say there are some free agents out there that are now attracted to Cinci after hearing this news.

Yeah, and back then I would bet having someone show up for the game drunk and/or on pain meds was not that rare of an occurrence across the league.
Reply/Quote

lol. Maybe

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's naïve to think players don't take teams reputations into consideration when deciding to sign with them in Free agency. Obviously some posters don't realize this. I didn't think it was a "hot take" at all. Actually quite cool. Freezing take actually for it being so known and obvious.

That reputation already exists.  The stories have been out there for years.  No one is coming across the story and now thinking "Man, the Bengals sound like an f'd organization, I'm not going there."

For one, the story is 20 years old.  And either guys are aware of this stuff and don't care, or they were never coming here to begin with.

Also, just because he shared in this in public for the first time doesn't mean it hasn't been floating around in NFL circles for years.  Players talk, coaches talk, agents talk. 

I don't think people realize just how small the NFL is.  There's only around 1,800 guys in the league.  Throw in a few hundred coaches.  Throw in a few hundred agents, scouts, front office personnel.  It's like one big D1 High School.  And lot of these guys overlap from team to team, and from generation to generation.

What does actually make it out to the media, that ends up in our ears, probably doesn't even scratch the  surface of the stories that float around this league.  I'm sure it's not that different from many schools, or officies, or companies, or industries.  Word gets out in a hurry.  There's a good chance this isn't the first time other people in the NFL were aware of this story.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 12:27 AM)pally Wrote: Henry hurt his knee on the same play as Palmer did.  He never saw the field with Kitna as QB

Henry played a few more snaps after his injury though. I remember he randomly fell untouched as Kitna snapped the ball later on
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2021, 10:36 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's naïve to think players don't take teams reputations into consideration when deciding to sign with them in Free agency. Obviously some posters don't realize this. I didn't think it was a "hot take" at all. Actually quite cool. Freezing take actually for it being so known and obvious.

It's definitely not a hot take or anything... I'm just saying in this instance a 20 year old story from John Kitna about a teammate getting his drink on isn't gonna move the needle much. I think Carson Palmer did more damage with his comments prior to the draft last year.

Also... Players drinking and getting high when they probably shouldn't happens everywhere.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2021, 09:51 PM)jason Wrote: This...

Players don't read this shit, and if they're taking sage advice from retired veterans, Jon Kitna ain't one of them. I think a guy like Chad Johnson carries more weight, and he's been a great ambassador for the Bengals and Cincinnati when it comes to modern day players.

Yeah, Chad has really been a great guy for the Bengals since he retired. Sure made it fun last season for Burrow and Tee.

I might like Chad more now than when he was a Bengal as I at times thought of him as a diva, even if he was great and fun 
as heck to watch on the field.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote