Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good interview with Whit
https://youtu.be/pnCiGUyqtoU

He comments on Burrow briefly at the very end, but the entire clip is worth watching. Man I miss him. I’ll never forgive the FO for letting him go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I miss him, too. I'd love to see him come back for a couple of more years and free us up a little more in the draft.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 02:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://youtu.be/pnCiGUyqtoU

He comments on Burrow briefly at the very end, but the entire clip is worth watching. Man I miss him. I’ll never forgive the FO for letting him go.

Hindsight,  they did not just let him go..they offered him a gap contract after drafting Cedric he turned it done... Cedric works got  we hardly talk about it. Let's say AJ comes back on one year plays well but $$ and age is a worru, he declines a short contract after we draft a WR In 1st round. Same thing if WR does not workout we whine.. if he turns out a great pick we stop talking about it.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 03:02 AM)Shady Wrote: I miss him, too. I'd love to see him come back for a couple of more years and free us up a little more in the draft.

Whit at this point in his career wouldnt give us time to wait and draft a guy, were still gonna need to draft another tackle. Whit definitely looked his age last year, he was still better then most guys we were throwing out there at LT until Cordy Glenn got "healthy".
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 08:31 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hindsight,  they did not just let him go..they offered him a gap contract after drafting Cedric he turned it done... Cedric works got  we hardly talk about it. Let's say AJ comes back on one year plays well but $$ and age is a worru, he declines a short contract after we draft a WR In 1st round. Same thing if WR does not workout we whine.. if he turns out a great pick we stop talking about it.

Spin it all you want, not doing whatever it took to re-sign Whit was a giant mistake. Troy Blackburn can on about “aging offensive tackles” and their value all he wants, but Whit would have been far and away our best olineman the last few years. With Hopkins emergence as a decent center that would have been LT and C locked down, instead, well...

Meanwhile, Whit went out to LA and was an All Pro and helped his team reach a Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:04 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Whit at this point in his career wouldnt give us time to wait and draft a guy, were still gonna need to draft another tackle. Whit definitely looked his age last year, he was still better then most guys we were throwing out there at LT until Cordy Glenn got "healthy".

Even at his age Whit is still better than Glenn.

Whit graded out at 72.8 this season.

Glenn graded out at 68.4

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Even at his age Whit is still better than Glenn.

Whit graded out at 72.8 this season.

Glenn graded out at 68.4

How many games did Glenn play in? Whit played a whole season, while Cordy played 3-4 games? You cant compare.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:38 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: How many games did Glenn play in? Whit played a whole season, while Cordy played 3-4 games? You cant compare.

If anything that would help Glenn’s case, but Whit had the better grade.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If anything that would help Glenn’s case, but Whit had the better grade.

Whit graded a little better with a whole season under his belt. Not saying the Glenn would have done better with a whole season, but you can't say that Whit would have been better either. That being said Whit is over 35 and is starting to drastically regress, you aren't signing him and then discarding the notion of drafting another tackle. If you sign Whit you're still drafting a tackle because:

A. Bobby Hart is trash.
B. You don't know if Whit at his age can hold it down for a full season.
Reply/Quote
He is my favourite player ever and that will NEVER change.

But he started to show a bit of wear in 2018 and last year, he had one of the worst seasons of his career (third-worst, after 2008 and his rookie year).

I don't agree with the way they handled his contract situation but in the end, Troy was 100% correct; he did only have 2 great, elite seasons left in him, because last year, while not bad, he regressed significantly, for him.

Still don't like the way things went down, but maybe he can come back on a cheapie 1/2 year deal as our backup/swingman. Doubt it would happen, but you never know...

In the Cowherd interview, he didn't take the opportunity to throw in a bash or snide remark about the team, unlike a certain former QB of ours...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Big Whit will always be one of my favorite Bengals. I'd love to see him come back if only for a year. Even if he's only a spot player he could help our current (whatever it's gonna be) Oline a lot !
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:12 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I don't agree with the way they handled his contract situation but in the end, Troy was 100% correct; he did only have 2 great, elite seasons left in him, because last year, while not bad, he regressed significantly, for him.

Correct. Just because our replacements for him did not work out, that doesn't mean they were wrong about not offering a long term contract to a lineman Whit's age. Whit has played longer at a high level than the vast majority of linemen. He's an outlier......
Reply/Quote
When a team overpays guys like Bobby Hart and Gio, but let’s an All Pro LT walk over a year or two of term, you’re not going to convince me it was the “right” thing to do.

Anyway, just thought it was a good interview. Especially his thoughts on Burrow. You keep hearing the same things over and over again about Joe; great leader, infectious personality, etc. Man I can’t wait for April to make it official.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 10:35 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Correct. Just because our replacements for him did not work out, that doesn't mean they were wrong about not offering a long term contract to a lineman Whit's age. Whit has played longer at a high level than the vast majority of linemen. He's an outlier......

I see the reasoning here for sure, but A) he performed at an elite level for 2 years - worth the price of the contract;   B) even at his diminished level he's performing at a quality level, much better than our current free agents (not to mention draft picks, which were a reach considering their risk factors).  Add to that his intangibles as a leader and the fact that the FO once again gave the team a black eye by the way they handled this.

And C) The Rams knew what he was and were willing to pony up the money for his value.   We did a very poor job of assessing his value and abilities.  The Rams had a better handle on his status and he was not even playing in their building.  Statistics and trends are important, but cannot be the only factor in their analysis.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 11:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: When a team overpays guys like Bobby Hart and Gio, but let’s an All Pro LT walk over a year or two of term, you’re not going to convince me it was the “right” thing to do.

Anyway, just thought it was a good interview. Especially his thoughts on Burrow. You keep hearing the same things over and over again about Joe; great leader, infectious personality, etc. Man I can’t wait for April to make it official.

Again, I never said it was the right thing to do or in the manner in which they did it.

But he was right in offering 2 years, since he thought there would be a drop-off in year 3; not only was there a drop-off, it was significant.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't argue about not giving him a gazillion bucks long term at his age at the time. The only problem was not having anyone to replace even a fraction of his production at his position. Now had they drafted someone with a HUGE amount of upside things might have been different, but they went with an injured guy who never panned out in the least and decimated the online in the process and kept the ketchup bottle dude too long afterwards..
While I have little faith they'll be able to rectify their mistakes it's still not impossible to fix. Then again, I might just wake up tomorrow morning at 21 year old in my 60 year old body.. Whatever
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Just you wait n see.. Cedric Ogbuehi will get elected to the HOF.. (Hacked Off Feet) Mellow

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 09:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Spin it all you want, not doing whatever it took to re-sign Whit was a giant mistake. 
Was it? Was it truly a big mistake? Just how do you know that if we gave him a big contract that he wouldn't have been injured? You don't. Just like you don't know if you missed on a draft pick. What he does for another team doesn't mean that he would do the same for your team. I am looking at the upcoming season as a culmination of events that may lead us to the championship we all want. The past is the past and sooner or later all players become the past. Keeping aging players like Dalton, AJ, Whit, Atkins only prolongs the inevitable. Do you think their best years are passed or in the future? 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:29 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Was it? Was it truly a big mistake? Just how do you know that if we gave him a big contract that he wouldn't have been injured? You don't. Just like you don't know if you missed on a draft pick. What he does for another team doesn't mean that he would do the same for your team. I am looking at the upcoming season as a culmination of events that may lead us to the championship we all want. The past is the past and sooner or later all players become the past. Keeping aging players like Dalton, AJ, Whit, Atkins only prolongs the inevitable. Do you think their best years are passed or in the future? 

JFC now we’re debating hypothetical injuries??

AGAIN, I just thought people might enjoy the interview. Literally the only reason I posted it.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2020, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: JFC now we’re debating hypothetical injuries??

AGAIN, I just thought people might enjoy the interview. Literally the only reason I posted it.

You mean you weren't suggesting Ogbuihi will get elected to the HOF? I just can't wait for that big sale on Ogbuihi jerseys and football cards at half off.. Nervous

OK, I'm really not.. Smirk  

Reply/Quote