Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good move by the President elect
(11-30-2016, 10:41 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So you're in favor of big federal government? Gotcha.

C'mon. I'm a centrist with a right lean.
Some areas should be handled by the Feds and other areas should not be, the problem between us, is that we probably don't agree on the same issues that would fall under the two categories.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-30-2016, 10:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: So I'm sure you were 100% behind the auto bailout.   Mellow

Seriously though this was Obama's schedule as President Elect on November 7, 2008...three days after winning.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/nov/7/obama-faces-economy-early-days/

President Elect Trump has tweeted more than he's received national security briefings.   Mellow

Just because one foreign leader met with him isn't necessarily a "slap in the face" and more probably because of business dealing than Presidential dealings. ThumbsUp

Yes and no about the Auto Bailout, I was all for saving the jobs of the common workers, but I think more CEO's should've been fired than just GM's Richard Wagoner Jr. The CEO's got their companies into this mess, fire then and take away everything that you can. Their Parachutes made them wealthier, so some stiff fines for them should have been in order.
(12-01-2016, 03:30 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes and no about the Auto Bailout, I was all for saving the jobs of the common workers, but I think more CEO's should've been fired than just GM's Richard Wagoner Jr. The CEO's got their companies into this mess, fire then and take away everything that you can. Their Parachutes made them wealthier, so some stiff fines for them should have been in order.

And in the case of Carrier they are VERY profitable...but were going to move anyway to be MORE profitable.  So who do we blame?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(12-01-2016, 03:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: And in the case of Carrier they are VERY profitable...but were going to move anyway to be MORE profitable.  So who do we blame?

This is being presented as Trump threatening them with tariffs if they moved any of their jobs (which he promised). No, he offered them rewards if they promised not to move some of their jobs. 

Obama would have been called a pushover if he caved like this. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(12-01-2016, 03:30 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes and no about the Auto Bailout, I was all for saving the jobs of the common workers, but I think more CEO's should've been fired than just GM's Richard Wagoner Jr. The CEO's got their companies into this mess, fire then and take away everything that you can. Their Parachutes made them wealthier, so some stiff fines for them should have been in order.

Well, fortunately we're going to go after the guys on Wall Street and in the banks who got us into the financial crisis. They won't profit like GM.

Oh... wait, I just got word they're being made members of the cabinet. 

(12-01-2016, 03:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: C'mon. I'm a centrist with a right lean.
Some areas should be handled by the Feds and other areas should not be, the problem between us, is that we probably don't agree on the same issues that would fall under the two categories.

You would actually be very surprised. While I wanted a more liberal person in the Oval, that is because my perfect mix is a conservative House, a split Senate, and a liberal Executive. I'm very centrist at the federal level, but more liberal on the state level.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(12-01-2016, 03:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: This is being presented as Trump threatening them with tariffs if they moved any of their jobs (which he promised). No, he offered them rewards if they promised not to move some of their jobs. 

Obama would have been called a pushover if he caved like this. 

Well that's because his not a real American like Trump.  He's a Kenyan.   Ninja
(12-01-2016, 08:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: Welcome to the next four years:  All successes will be the direct result of Trump and all failures will be because of what losers did.

So, same as the last 8 years.
--------------------------------------------------------

(12-01-2016, 05:29 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: So, same as the last 8 years.

I don't remember President Obama calling people "losers" when something didn't go his way or they disagreed with him.

Mellow
(12-01-2016, 05:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I don't remember President Obama calling people "losers" when something didn't go his way or they disagreed with him.

Mellow

I remember his first State of the Union after the GOP retook control of Congress. He was very snide and basically "So what? I'm still the man". I remember contrasting it to the gracious way Bush welcomed Pelosci as Speaker.

To say Obama doesn't "call out" those that dosagree with him, might not be 100% accurate.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(12-01-2016, 05:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember his first State of the Union after the GOP retook control of Congress. He was very snide and basically "So what? I'm still the man". I remember contrasting it to the gracious way Bush welcomed Pelosci as Speaker.

To say Obama doesn't "call out" those that dosagree with him, might not be 100% accurate.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/223086-obama-american-people-sent-a-message

Quote:An unrepentant President Obama said he had one major concession to the Republican Party that stormed to big majorities in the Senate and House in Tuesday’s midterm elections: He plans to listen more.

Well, at least with the issues they agree on.

Pressed repeatedly during a post-election press conference Wednesday on his role in Democrats’ disastrous election performance, Obama said he didn’t want “to try to read the tea leaves.”

He said the economy remains strong, while pointing out that two-thirds of voters didn’t participate in the midterms — suggesting Republicans lack a mandate.

Obama said the message that he took away — that voters want to see “this town work” — was the same that he’d seen in most of the previous elections during his term.

“What I’d like to do is to hear from the Republicans, to find out what it is that they would like to see happen,” Obama said.
“And what I’m committing to is making sure that I am open to working with them on the issues where they think that there’s going to be cooperation.”

In sum, there was little by way of apology from the president — either to Democrats who blame him for their losses or Republicans who disagree with his policies.

After the 2010 midterms, Obama described his party’s loss of the House majority in frank terms, calling it a “shellacking.”
On Wednesday, the president went out of his away to avoid such language, saying only, “Obviously, Republicans had a good night.”

He seemed to shrug aside suggestions of a Clintonesque reset of his administration, and acknowledged that on major policy priorities voiced by incoming Republican lawmakers, he wasn’t likely to give much ground.

“The principles that we’re fighting for, the things that motivate me every single day and motivate my staff every day, those things aren’t going to change,” Obama said.

Major changes to his signature healthcare law represented a line he could not cross, for instance. The White House plans to forge ahead with immigration executive orders that Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) only minutes earlier had described as similar to “waving a red flag in front of a bull.” And Obama is going to let the “process play out” on the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

Snidely?

More from 2010:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/03/AR2010110303997.html

Quote:Wednesday, November 3, 2010; 4:10 PM

President Obama, appearing somber and reflective after what he described as a "shellacking" at the polls Tuesday night, conceded Wednesday that his connection with Americans has grown "rockier" over the last two years and expressed sadness over the defeats of congressional Democrats who supported him.

In a news conference a day aftermidterm elections handed Republicans control of the House and gains in the Senate, Obama said he was eager to work with GOPleaders and listen to "good ideas wherever they come from." But he said it would not be easy to reach agreement on contentious issues.

"People are frustrated," Obama said in an opening statement. "They're deeply frustrated with the pace of our economic recovery and the opportunities that they hope for their children and their grandchildren. They want jobs to come back faster."

He said he told Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Rep. John A. Boehner (R-Ohio), the new presumptive speaker of the House, that he is "very eager to sit down with members of both parties and figure out how we can move forward together." He added, "I'm not suggesting this will be easy. I won't pretend that we'll be able to bridge every difference or solve every disagreement."
[Image: ad_label_leftjust.gif]

Obama nevertheless said he believes "there is hope for civility." And he urged elected officials to remember "that our first allegiance as citizens is not to party or a region or a faction, but to country. Because while we may be proud Democrats or proud Republicans, we are prouder to be Americans."

He cited energy independence and education as two areas of "potential common ground" for congressional action.

In response to questions, Obama said the federal rescue of banks and auto companies two years ago had given people the impression that "government was getting much more intrusive into people's lives than they were accustomed to." He described the actions as justified because "it was an emergency situation," but he said he was "sympathetic" to people who considered them to be a federal "overreach."

Asked about GOP plans to work for repeal of his health-care legislation, Obama said that "we'd be misreading the election if we thought that the American people want to see us for the next two years relitigate arguments that we had over the last two years." But he said he would be "happy to consider" modifications to reform the legislation, such as an adjustment to a tax-related record-keeping provision that "appears to be too burdensome for small businesses."

Obama acknowledged that "without any Republican support on anything, then it's going to be hard to get things done."

In response to a question about how he felt when some of his Democratic friends and supporters in Congress lost their reelection bids, Obama said: "It feels bad. You know, the toughest thing over the last couple of days is seeing really terrific public servants not have the opportunity to serve anymore, at least in the short term." Not only is he sad to see them go, he said, "but there's also a lot of questioning on my part in terms of, "could I have done something differently or done something more so that those folks would still be here?' It's hard. And I take responsibility for it in a lot of ways. "

Obama also expressed regret that he has not managed his relations better with the U.S. business community, which has emerged as a leading opposition force.

"As I reflect on what's happened over the last two years, one of the things that I think has not been managed by me as well as it needed to be was finding the right balance in making sure that businesses have rules of the road and are treating customers fairly . . . but also making absolutely clear that the only way America succeeds is if businesses are succeeding."

Obama reflected that presidents Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton had experienced similar midterm defeats.

"You know, this is something that I think every president needs to go through, because . . . the responsibilities of this office are so enormous and so many people are depending on what we do, and in the rush of activity sometimes we lose track of . . . the ways that we connected with folks that got us here in the first place," Obama said. "Now, I'm not recommending for every future president that they take a shellacking like I did last night. You know, I'm sure there're easier ways to learn these lessons."

He conceded that after peaking at an "incredible high" with his election two years ago, his relationship with the American people "has gotten rockier and tougher" over the last two years during "some very difficult times."

He said he was sure that this relationship would "have some more ups and downs" during the rest of his presidency.

Here's more from the 2014 midterm losses.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/obama-takes-blame-democrats-midterm-elections-losses-article-1.2004545

Quote:President Obama bluntly declared Sunday that “we got beat” in the midterm elections and took responsibility for the Democrats’ massive losses.

“The buck stops with me. The buck stops right here at my desk,” Obama said on CBS’ “Face the Nation.”

“Whenever as the head of the party it doesn’t do well, I’ve got to take responsibility for it.”

Obama defended his policies, but admitted he didn’t do enough to sell them to the American people before last Tuesday’s elections that gave Republicans control of the Senate.

“There is a failure of politics there,” he said.

“When you start governing, there is a tendency sometimes for me to start thinking, as long as you get the policy right, then that’s what should matter,” he said — calling that attitude a mistake politically.

“It’s not enough just to build a better mousetrap,” he said. “We’ve got to sell it ... There are times, there’s no doubt about it, where I think we have not been successful in going out there and letting people know what it is that we’re trying to do and why this is the right direction.”

Despite big job gains, Obama said, Americans have placed the blame on him for the fact that they’re still struggling financially.

“Their wages haven’t gone up, their incomes haven’t gone up,” he said in the “Face the Nation” interview. “They see Washington gridlocked and they’re frustrated. And they know one person in Washington, and that’s the President of the United States. So I’ve got to make this city work better for them.”

Think we'll get that kind of thoughtful discourse from a PE Trump tweet in 2018 if the GOP loses any ground?

Or ever?

Please note this is not say Obama was the perfect gentleman at all times and never made a snide remark ever...I'm sure someone will find a quote to prove it.

It's to say that he is more likely to give a measured, professional, thought out response versus a quick tweet with lots of exclamation points and name calling.
(12-01-2016, 06:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's to say that he is more likely to give a measured, professional, thought out response versus a quick tweet with lots of exclamation points and name calling.

I suppose playing dueling links could be fun or else you can just say you disagree with the assertion:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/republicans-obama-jab-state-of-the-union

Quote:Republicans were irked by President Barack Obama's caustic reminder in his State of the Union speech that he defeated them twice.

"I've run my last campaign," Obama said toward the end of the nationally televised address. Republicans in the chamber applauded derisively, which prompted the president to ad-lib a zinger which wasn't in his prepared remarks: "I know because I won both of them."

Democrats erupted with applause.

In the Capitol after the speech, Republicans expressed displeasure at being jabbed by the president in the same speech where he asked for their cooperation.

"Probably not helpful when you rub the other guy's nose in the dirt a little bit," Rep. Tom Cole (R-OK), a close ally of Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), told reporters.

"Look, he's allowed to take a victory lap but he ought to be thinking about what works — what's gonna help me actually put points on the board," Cole said. "How are you going to define your legacy in the last two years. Is this all about a third Obama term by winning the presidency? Then that would suggest you just want confrontation and the ability for your nominee to attack a 'do nothing right wing Congress.'"

If you want I can link what Bush said when the Dems took the house, but I'm telling you it was not "Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo". It was congtratulations.

(12-01-2016, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose playing dueling links could be fun or else you can just say you disagree with the assertion:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/republicans-obama-jab-state-of-the-union

If you want I can link what Bush said when the Dems took the house, but I'm telling you it was not "Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo". It was congtratulations.

Wow....that was the part that got the GOP panties (sorry Luvint) in a bunch?

Mellow

(12-01-2016, 06:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Please note this is not say Obama was the perfect gentleman at all times and never made a snide remark ever...I'm sure someone will find a quote to prove it.

Well, at least he said it to them, in front of them and not in a 3am tweet?   Tongue

If we want to go link for link, quote for quote on when Obama was snide and when Trump was flat out rude Trump is much worse. Smirk
(12-01-2016, 06:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Wow....that was the part that got the GOP panties (sorry Luvint) in a bunch?

Mellow

Well, at least he said it to them, in front of them and not in a 3am tweet?   Tongue

If we want to go link for link, quote for quote on when Obama was snide and when Trump was flat out rude Trump is much worse. Smirk

Well, Of course only one has ever done it as an elected official. So now it's whose worse, not who does it; is that your new stance?

(12-01-2016, 06:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, Of course only one has ever done it as an elected official. So now it's whose worse, not who does it; is that your new stance?

Trump is an elected official now.

Anyway, I was looking for what Bush had to say about losing seats in a midterm election.  I'm guessing it was 2006?

I found this little quote while searching:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/after-bush-was-re-elected-in-2004-democrats-in-congress-did-not-compromise/article/2512871

Quote:After winning re-election, Bush thought he had the “political capital” he needed to push forward major reforms. “Let me put it to you this way: I earned capital in the campaign, political capital, and now I intend to spend it,” Bush said to reporters. “It is my style.”

Just a little  "Nanny, Nanny, Boo, Boo"...even if it wasn't about the midterm losses. 
Both Bush and Obama said "I won, I'm going to work on my agenda" in the last 2 years of their Presidency.

Both Bush and Obama congratulated the new Speaker when their party lost the House.

Neither took to social media to insult people who disagreed with them as President-Elect, though.

(12-01-2016, 05:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: To say Obama doesn't "call out" those that dosagree with him, might not be 100% accurate.

To be fair, no one would disagree with him if it wasn't for Fox News....something Obama DOES remind us of quite often.
--------------------------------------------------------

(12-02-2016, 04:42 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: To be fair, no one would disagree with him if it wasn't for Fox News....something Obama DOES remind us of quite often.

The being fair ship sailed a long time ago.

(12-01-2016, 08:02 AM)GMDino Wrote: Not to mention there wasn't anything the President Elect could do...but the Governor or their state (Pence) could.

Literally Trump has done zero to keep these companies (especially in the case of Ford which was never moving the jobs to begin with) but taken full credit for it.

Welcome to the next four years:  All successes will be the direct result of Trump and all failures will be because of what losers did.

It will make me miss all the right wing noise machine talk about how much of an ego Obama has. Sad

Replace Trump with Obama and you've just described the past 8 years  Mellow

The hypocrisy from both sides is hilariously sad. 
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(12-02-2016, 02:13 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Replace Trump with Obama and you've just described the past 8 years  Mellow

The hypocrisy from both sides is hilariously sad. 

We've been over this (read back a few pages.) 

Obama might not take the blame for everything but he doesn't take to publicly calling people losers and morons.