Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good news on Trae Waynes!! He's training
(09-21-2021, 08:58 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Let's hope he can finally get in a game. Apple has been hard to watch at times.

Apple has been beaten at times and missed at least 1 tackle I remember in the first 2 games.

But overall, our defense has been solid playing our backup CB. The Vikings have 2 great WR's and he held up well. Chicago has a few fast and quick guys like Moody, hard to cover but he was not horrible.

I am hopeful Waynes is back to 100% Sunday and ready for Ben. My fear is he may be rusty, but hopefully gets lot of training reps this week.

Overall our defense has surpassed my expectations, but they did a play on 3rd and 8 to stop a critical drive and let Bears run out the clock. A missed tackle killed us.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Is this Smack Talk?

I think it's fair to be frustrated with the player with the highest cap hit on the team not playing a single snap in 18 games (and counting).
If he doesn't see the field soon and the Bengals find they have good enough DB depth without him being out there, he could be expendable after this season (hopefully in favor of a FA OL if it happens).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote:
I think it's fair to be frustrated with the player with the highest cap hit on the team not playing a single snap in 18 games (and counting).

If he doesn't see the field soon and the Bengals find they have good enough DB depth without him being out there, he could be expendable after this season (hopefully in favor of a FA OL if it happens).

That's a fair point, however this has turned into an Apple bash fest. Not a big fan of Apple, but c'mon....
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a fair point, however this has turned into an Apple bash fest. Not a big fan of Apple, but c'mon....

right Apple was signed as Depth... And should not be playing more than to give a guy a breather here and there.

When you have a backup CB in the game the other team will target him
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:49 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it's fair to be frustrated with the player with the highest cap hit on the team not playing a single snap in 18 games (and counting).

Listen I'm one person who think Apple belongs on a practice squad rather than starting DB in the NFL.  Apple has been horrid in every stop.  There's a reason he's been with what 4 or 5 teams?   

Waynes when he comes back will be an upgrade talent wise, but the dude hasnt played a down of football since Decemeber of 2019.  So almost 2 years w/o playing 1 down of football.  He'll be rusty and whoever he is defending will burn him for plenty of first downs and TD's.   I'd take Apple the rest of the season over Waynes.  Just my opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:34 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: right Apple was signed as Depth... And should not be playing more than to give a guy a breather here and there.

When you have a backup CB in the game the other team will target him

And there seems to be no need to visit the Smack Talk forum anymore to read people bashing our players, there's more than enough of it right here in Jungle Noise. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:35 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Listen I'm one person who think Apple belongs on a practice squad rather than starting DB in the NFL.  Apple has been horrid in every stop.  There's a reason he's been with what 4 or 5 teams?   

Waynes when he comes back will be an upgrade talent wise, but the dude hasnt played a down of football since Decemeber of 2019.  So almost 2 years w/o playing 1 down of football.  He'll be rusty and whoever he is defending will burn him for plenty of first downs and TD's.   I'd take Apple the rest of the season over Waynes.  Just my opinion. 

We do have the Number 6 defense without him....

Just need competence on the other side of the ball
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:39 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We do have the Number 6 defense without him....

Just need competence on the other side of the ball

Good luck on that Xeno with Zac Taylor calling the shots
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: It feels like his contract will expire before we see him in a game again. How long is his contract anyway? 3 years? If so it's close to being half over already..

wod love to disencumber funds on this guy to keep guys like Bates and get Larry O long term
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:35 AM)TJ528 Wrote: Listen I'm one person who think Apple belongs on a practice squad rather than starting DB in the NFL.  Apple has been horrid in every stop.  There's a reason he's been with what 4 or 5 teams?   

Hey believe me when I say I'm with ya on Waynes.

He could very well come out and make Eli look good.

Rust on top of rust for Trae.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a fair point, however this has turned into an Apple bash fest. Not a big fan of Apple, but c'mon....

We saw this same thing last year with Waynes out. If you have to go to your 4th (or 5th) CB, that's probably not a good thing.
Apple isn't some stellar player. He's on his 4th team in 5 years for a reason. People shouldn't expect great play from that far down the depth chart.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Waynes really isn't great in coverage anyway. He's more of a well-rounded CB who can make some plays in the run game.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Waynes released and the Bengals draft a CB high next year to fill his spot.
They can use the saved cap space for a vet OL player.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:46 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Apple has been beaten at times and missed at least 1 tackle I remember in the first 2 games.

But overall, our defense has been solid playing our backup CB. The Vikings have 2 great WR's and he held up well. Chicago has a few fast and quick guys like Moody, hard to cover but he was not horrible.

I am hopeful Waynes is back to 100% Sunday and ready for Ben. My fear is he may be rusty, but hopefully gets lot of training reps this week.

Overall our defense has surpassed my expectations, but they did a play on 3rd and 8 to stop a critical drive and let Bears run out the clock. A missed tackle killed us.

Apple's play did seem to improve from game 1 to 2. But a rookie QB getting his 1st full game action mixed with our offense doing little to nothing he wasn't really tested as much. But still could definitely do worse with a 1st CB off the bench.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Waynes really isn't great in coverage anyway. He's more of a well-rounded CB who can make some plays in the run game.
It wouldn't surprise me to see Waynes released and the Bengals draft a CB high next year to fill his spot.
They can use the saved cap space for a vet OL player.
Well I was about to say that Wayne's is one of only 2 players in our secondary that is under contract next year. But decided I better look that up and apparently we did sign Awuzie to a 3 year deal. After 2 games that's looking like a steal. But I really would've liked to get the Bates deal done this year and in a way that frees up money for later. It's early but we might have something special with this defense and it would nice to keep it together.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 01:51 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Well I was about to say that Wayne's is one of only 2 players in our secondary that is under contract next year. But decided I better look that up and apparently we did sign Awuzie to a 3 year deal. After 2 games that's looking like a steal. But I really would've liked to get the Bates deal done this year and in a way that frees up money for later. It's early but we might have something special with this defense and it would nice to keep it together.

The following DBs are under contract for 2022:
Waynes ($16 mill)
Bell ($7.5 mill)
Awuzie ($7.35 mill)
Hilton ($5 mill)
Wilson ($2.62 mill)

They'll basically have their whole set of starters aside from Bates.
If they can get Bates re-signed, they could easily move on from Waynes and get a cheaper FA CB or draft one (there are some in Rd 1 that I really like).

They also are expected to have $60+ mill in cap space next year, so I'm not too concerned with being able to sign someone like Bates and/or getting a good vet OL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The following DBs are under contract for 2022:
Waynes ($16 mill)
Bell ($7.5 mill)
Awuzie ($7.35 mill)
Hilton ($5 mill)
Wilson ($2.62 mill)

They'll basically have their whole set of starters aside from Bates.
If they can get Bates re-signed, they could easily move on from Waynes and get a cheaper FA CB or draft one (there are some in Rd 1 that I really like).

They also are expected to have $60+ mill in cap space next year, so I'm not too concerned with being able to sign someone like Bates and/or getting a good vet OL.
Okay I swear I saw an interview with Hilton where they were saying he signed a 1 yr prove it deal and someone on hear had said Awuzie was a 1 year. But yeah probably should look those up before I say anything. But that's good news.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 5nsrk0.jpg]

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 09:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: One might say, "He fell far from the tree."  Ninja

(09-21-2021, 09:21 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: [Image: th?id=OIP.7ahQivhiYj_g5KRWgV_-7gHaEu&pid...=250&h=160]

This is good. Mellow

Hope Waynes plays this week. I like him much better than the dude that fell too far from the tree.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 12:58 AM)Trademark Wrote:
The defense is about to get even more nasty

I don't know what embarrasses me more, Waynes taking the team to the cleaners or that some of the team's fans actually butcher the Queen's English this bad. I'm not sure I understand what is being said.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 08:47 AM)grampahol Wrote: It feels like his contract will expire before we see him in a game again. How long is his contract anyway? 3 years? If so it's close to being half over already..

Again?
Reply/Quote