Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good showing for the backup OL
Yes there were a couple of "moments" - specifically one wide snap and two plays where defenders got in unblocked. But other than that they gave Burrow a legit pocket with time to read the field and on run plays they moved the pile generally. For some of them (like Price) this is two good outings in a row.

One interesting thing I noticed was since we went to the backups the linemen are not immediately retreating at the snap on pass plays, and the result has been a larger pocket. On run plays they are firing straight off into the defenders which helped Gio and Perine a lot (so did Sample killing it in the blocking game today).

More video would be nice, as it seems like not only are the backups balling out but the technique may have been adjusted?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
These five should become the starters.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: These five should become the starters.

Ehhh... hang on there. I'd still give Jonah Williams a spot on the line, but Spain at G is a yes, Price suddenly seems like he might live up to the 1st round pick at C, so yup leave him, then Redman at G and give me Andejii at RT.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:23 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes there were a couple of "moments" - specifically one wide snap and two plays where defenders got in unblocked. But other than that they gave Burrow a legit pocket with time to read the field and on run plays they moved the pile generally. For some of them (like Price) this is two good outings in a row.

One interesting thing I noticed was since we went to the backups the linemen are not immediately retreating at the snap on pass plays, and the result has been a larger pocket. On run plays they are firing straight off into the defenders which helped Gio and Perine a lot (so did Sample killing it in the blocking game today).

More video would be nice, as it seems like not only are the backups balling out but the technique may have been adjusted?

It was after one of those plays that Calhoun was replaced by Spain

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:49 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Ehhh... hang on there. I'd still give Jonah Williams a spot on the line, but Spain at G is a yes, Price suddenly seems like he might live up to the 1st round pick at C, so yup leave him, then Redman at G and give me Andejii at RT.

Perhaps price at center and kick Hopkins out to guard with Spain. 
Reply/Quote
All things considered they played one hell of a ballgame ! Joe

It's going to be interesting to see how the line is put together in two weeks ?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 07:53 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Perhaps price at center and kick Hopkins out to guard with Spain. 

I'd be good with that, I just feel like Hopkins struggled at G at some point, but maybe not. 

Either way, Price finally showing signs of life with the addition of Spain is a welcome sign for the O-line.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Hart has graded well and played well of late .. competition is good let get healthy after bye and go from there.
Reply/Quote
I do wonder if they will send the starters back in after the bye with the big change being Spain replacing Jordan. Personally I would not because they badly need to pick one group and let it play together to build chemistry. So...

Williams - Spain - Price - Redmond (spit) - Adeniji? If XSF is ready put him at his natural LG spot and Spain at RG.
Reply/Quote
Anyone think Price has looked better the past two games than Hopkins has looked overall? He sure is playing some good ball right now. C is definitely his position.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:03 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Anyone think Price has looked better the past two games than Hopkins has looked overall? He sure is playing some good ball right now. C is definitely his position.

The last two games Price has had expanded playtime and has looked pretty good! He is looking like the player we drafted in the first round and who had a consensus first round grade. 
Reply/Quote
People that want to bench Jonah are nuts. The minute Adeniji or FJ give up a sack you all would be screaming to put him back in. Jonah is our best olineman, and other than a couple rough plays vs guys like Bosa and Garrett he’s been pretty good for a rookie. He needs to play to continue to get better.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:03 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Anyone think Price has looked better the past two games than Hopkins has looked overall? He sure is playing some good ball right now. C is definitely his position.

He opens up some nice holes, but overall? Not sure about that. He needs to get the wild snaps cleaned up for one.

I at least have a glimmer of hope for him now though. I thought for sure this kid was a bust.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 09:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: The last two games Price has had expanded playtime and has looked pretty good! He is looking like the player we drafted in the first round and who had a consensus first round grade. 

From the eye test it certainly seems like he is playing like a 1st round C. I'm not as privy to schemes and things as you and some of the other board folks are, but he looks great from what I see. Better than Hopkins has from my eyes. I love seeing it too because I really like Price and have been hoping he would pull it together.
Reply/Quote