Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good to Great....
The playoffs last year were littered with teams that were great at some aspect of the game:

The Cowboys were great at rushing the ball.

The Pats were great at execution on offense, making it hard to stop them.

The Falcons had a great offense, with a ton of weapons.

The Packers had a great QB.

Where can we say the Bengals are great? I'm not asking to be Negative Nancy, but I am asking honestly if they are perceived as great in any one area? Right now, I would have to say no. The defense was approaching greatness, but the loss of Reggie and Shawn's first year in the starters role, Adam Jones decline, aging slow LBs, injures, blah, blah, blah.

I think the defense could be great this year. I think WJIII is an amazing talent. Billings should eat a lot of double teams. The LBs are significantly upgraded. We aren't breaking in new talent, other than WJIII, where we could have a lot of rookie issues. A pass-rusher that could provide some heat from the QBs blind side could be a missing piece to the puzzle.

On offense, I see a lot of potential with weapons such as Uzomah, Eifert, Green, Core, Boyd, and Gio but I think a vertical threat or an all-around outstanding option like Davis as a WR opposite Green could really pay huge dividends for the offense. A bigger, stronger body at RG should help a major issue with short yardage from last year. They could also use another RB to supplant Hill that is capable of blitz pickup, receiving, and getting tough yards. I really like James Conner out of Pitt and I think he will be undervalued because he isn't blazing at any one thing, but he does everything well.

What else do you guys think is missing to take this team from good to great...and before I get 100 replies about the coaching staff, that goes without saying and we all know it isn't changing between now and next season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What can be great is the defensive line. I think we are an end opposite Dunlap from being one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. Billings will provide the push in the middle to get Geno and Atkins one on one match ups, if someone on the other side can keep a team from sliding protection to Atkins and Dunlap side we could do something scary.
Reply/Quote
I think if the Bengals draft Foster at #9 look out for this front 7. Rolling out Minter, Foster, and Burfict in the LB core could be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 10:14 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: I think if the Bengals draft Foster at #9 look out for this front 7. Rolling out Minter, Foster, and Burfict in the LB  core could be fun to watch.

It has already been said Vigil is the guy at SAM also in Nickle as of now. They invested a 3rd in the guy and they are going to make sure he gets a shot especially since he did well last year for a rookie in limited service. I think our LB core next year will be Burffict Minter Vigil no matter what, if Foster is drafted Minter may be a one year teacher then we let him walk.

All of this is moot because I don't believe they have any interest in Foster.
Reply/Quote
The WR group would be great if we added a true stud (Davis, Ross, Williams)
The RB group would be great if we added Fournette or even Mixon or Cook
The TE group would be great if we added Howard
The D-line would be great if we got a legit pass rusher.
The secondary would be great with Hooker.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:19 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The WR group would be great if we added a true stud (Davis, Ross, Williams)
The RB group would be great if we added Fournette or even Mixon or Cook
The TE group would be great if we added Howard
The D-line would be great if we got a legit pass rusher.
The secondary would be great with Hooker.
Great points.
We could do 2 of these things by round 2 if Mixon is taken in round 2 by the Bengals.
Likely DE or OJ Howard in round one plus say Mixon in round 2.
Lafell can be a 1,000 yard receiver this year and William Jackson III will upgrade the secondary plus maybe add a mid round safety since they probably won't take Hooker with 2 starters already at safety.
This team, if healthy, could be a threat if their plan for the Offensive line works out.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: It has already been said Vigil is the guy at SAM also in Nickle as of now. They invested a 3rd in the guy and they are going to make sure he gets a shot especially since he did well last year for a rookie in limited service. I think our LB core next year will be Burffict Minter Vigil no matter what, if Foster is drafted Minter may be a one year teacher then we let him walk.

The 1 year Minter Contract does seem a little suspicious to me.

Vigil did get some playing time last year as a Rookie, he wasnt horrible nor was all world flashing, I wouldn't say he is a lock as the starter.

Bengals do play a lot of Nickel with only two backers and 5 DBs, but it would be nice to be deep at LB and get actual value at the #9 rather

then reaching or trading back with 11 picks as it is.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 12:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: It has already been said Vigil is the guy at SAM also in Nickle as of now. They invested a 3rd in the guy and they are going to make sure he gets a shot especially since he did well last year for a rookie in limited service. I think our LB core next year will be Burffict Minter Vigil no matter what, if Foster is drafted Minter may be a one year teacher then we let him walk.

Agreed and I also agree with your earlier point about the front four with a better option at RDE.  
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2017, 05:28 PM)bambino5130 Wrote: The 1 year Minter Contract does seem a little suspicious to me.

Vigil did get some playing time last year as a Rookie, he wasnt horrible nor was all world flashing, I wouldn't say he is a lock as the starter.

Bengals do play a lot of Nickel with only two backers and 5 DBs, but it would be nice to be deep at LB and get actual value at the #9 rather

then reaching or trading back with 11 picks as it is.

I think it was more of a backup plan/motivational tactic with Burfict.  If he doesn't show up in shape, he could find himself on the bench.  I think, if motivated, he is our absolute best player at any position on the team, but he has to be 100% determined to be at his best for that to happen.  We have seen flashes, but not enough consistency.

I liked what we saw in limited action from Vigil last season.  
Reply/Quote