Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodberry did analysis of the defense - not pretty
Not sure how to link it but it was the Bengals on the Brain YouTube video.

He showed a LOT of issues and Nick Scott came in for special attention as he showed Scott was clearly disrupting the entire secondary by wrong breaks, hesitation and other issues. Also showed Murphy was nowhere near a sub for Sam Hubbard and could not set the edge. CTB also got some dings for failing to stay with the receivers and he made an overall note that the D plays Cover 3 this year over 2/3 the time and the DBs are rigidly staying in their zones and not rolling to the receivers - causing some of the wide open targets as teams are noticing and receivers are going to the edges between the zones.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am sure the film will bear out the specifics of it, but just from the eye test it was clear something was wrong/wasn’t working. Too many Texans receivers were wide open for big chunks of this game.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 11:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Not sure how to link it but it was the Bengals on the Brain YouTube video.

He showed a LOT of issues and Nick Scott came in for special attention as he showed Scott was clearly disrupting the entire secondary by wrong breaks, hesitation and other issues. Also showed Murphy was nowhere near a sub for Sam Hubbard and could not set the edge. CTB also got some dings for failing to stay with the receivers and he made an overall note that the D plays Cover 3 this year over 2/3 the time and the DBs are rigidly staying in their zones and not rolling to the receivers - causing some of the wide open targets as teams are noticing and receivers are going to the edges between the zones.

Well that’s on Lou and the other coaches . Other teams obviously saw it, so it should have been fixed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I might get some disagreement here, but I think this is where we miss Vonn Bell the most. I feel like he was kind of the "leader" of the secondary and did a great job of making sure the things discussed above didn't happen as often. It just seems like guys are way more open in the Bengals secondary this year than last. Maybe its just my eyes and statistics don't support it, but what I see on TV tells me differently.
Reply/Quote
I already knew this is what ghe tape would show smh

This does highlight it isn’t all Nick Scott tho

If you see a WR WIDE OPEN you gotta put a body near him

I can’t imagine letting a guy with 100 yards already get 72 more

That’s embarrassing
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I assume the defense will improve during the season. There are a lot of new starters integrated into the defense, notably the safeties and CBs. I wish there were more time before the Ravens game to get things straightened out. But the talent is there, and I expect Lou will have things going well the back half of the season. Need to get by the Ravens and then there will be extra days to tighten things up.

And, yes, as Lou prognosticated, losing both Vonn Bell and Jessie Bates resulted in a "dark night."
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: I assume the defense will improve during the season. There are a lot of new starters integrated into the defense, notably the safeties and CBs. I wish there were more time before the Ravens game to get things straightened out. But the talent is there, and I expect Lou will have things going well the back half of the season. Need to get by the Ravens and then there will be extra days to tighten things up.

And, yes, as Lou prognosticated, losing both Vonn Bell and Jessie Bates resulted in a "dark night."

If Scott continues to play the improvement will only be minimal

I’m watching the Goodberry video now and lord

Scott isn’t just a ghost in coverage he had a very bad run play rep that i know Battle would’ve done better

Didn’t know Scott was this bad at run D too.

I truly believe Tycen Anderson’s number would’ve been called at some point this year
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: I assume the defense will improve during the season. There are a lot of new starters integrated into the defense, notably the safeties and CBs. I wish there were more time before the Ravens game to get things straightened out. But the talent is there, and I expect Lou will have things going well the back half of the season. Need to get by the Ravens and then there will be extra days to tighten things up.

Scott is absolutely trash. Quite evident the loss of Bell is huge. He was solid all round and provided great run support. CTB for all is interceptions , the lack of run support and tackling ability is concerning especially against the Ravens.  In the last minute plus against Texans he could have easily tackled their player in bounds but let him get out to stop the clock. Can't have that happen
Reply/Quote
Nick Scott's tackle of Noah Brown, or lack there of, on that last drive was a game decider.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:46 AM)Toronto Bengal Wrote: Scott is absolutely trash. Quite evident the loss of Bell is huge. He was solid all round and provided great run support. CTB for all is interceptions , the lack of run support and tackling ability is concerning especially against the Ravens.  In the last minute plus against Texans he could have easily tackled their player in bounds but let him get out to stop the clock. Can't have that happen

My only quick 3 day fix is to stop rotating safeties to make shit simple

I don’t want Scott worrying about complex coverages

Let him play cover 1, 2, 3, 4 and etc and keep it simple

Obviously disguise coverages and all that but the more complicated shit where he has to think about what to do needs to stop.

I’d rather go back to cover 2 more than cover 3 as well.

Bates allowed us to run cover 3 a lot because he was damn near a football genius and Scott isn’t even 1/2 of that.
Cover 2 would also play into CTB, Awuzie and Turners strengths of playmaking as all 3 are good at disguising coverages.

Losing both safeties will be the one thing we all look at if we look up in 3 weeks and we’re out the race
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: I assume the defense will improve during the season. There are a lot of new starters integrated into the defense, notably the safeties and CBs.   

I was saying this at the beginning of the season. I knew there would be some "growing pains" but we are over halfway through the season and we are running out of time to fix these issues.

Or maybe this is just an over reaction on my part. Anyone remember last week when Lou was going to get a head coaching job?
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 07:59 AM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: I might get some disagreement here, but I think this is where we miss Vonn Bell the most.  I feel like he was kind of the "leader" of the secondary and did a great job of making sure the things discussed above didn't happen as often.  It just seems like guys are way more open in the Bengals secondary this year than last.  Maybe its just my eyes and statistics don't support it, but what I see on TV tells me differently.

I likewise think we are missing Vonn Bell. He was possibly the one out there (savvy vet) alerting others to the receivers and such. 

Remember a safety a lot of fans didn't "get"? Name of Chris Crocker. Not the best athlete but strangely when he was in the whole back end of the defense played better - turned out he was "quarterbacking" it by reading the offense and alerting the DBs on correct alignment. He would leave and the DBs suddenly played dumb. Come back and better. And so on. Possibly Vonn Bell was playing this role for Lou's D? 
Reply/Quote
As to Nick Scott, what Goodberry showed was Scott actually disrupted the secondary coverage schemes not just failing to cover on his part. I actually think had Tycen Anderson not been injured Scott would be on the bench right now. As it is I would rather have Battle's growing pains than Scott just screwing up because Battle IS growing.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 11:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Not sure how to link it but it was the Bengals on the Brain YouTube video.

Kind of sounds like a team that isn't well coached on defense...

When you have 2 experienced safeties in Bates and Bell...it makes things MUCH easier.
Reply/Quote

We're going into game 10. If anything, it's getting worse because teams know how to attack it and injuries.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 11:16 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: I was saying this at the beginning of the season. I knew there would be some "growing pains" but we are over halfway through the season and we are running out of time to fix these issues.

Or maybe this is just an over reaction on my part. Anyone remember last week when Lou was going to get a head coaching job?

Ha true. But we're not the only ones. Rex Ryan on the pregame show three days ago: "No one does it better in the National Football League than Lou Anarumo." 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 10:46 AM)Toronto Bengal Wrote: Scott is absolutely trash. Quite evident the loss of Bell is huge. He was solid all round and provided great run support. CTB for all is interceptions , the lack of run support and tackling ability is concerning especially against the Ravens.  In the last minute plus against Texans he could have easily tackled their player in bounds but let him get out to stop the clock. Can't have that happen

Some of us tried to say this when Scott was signed. Like he's not a bad 4th safety that plays special teams. But, as a starting safety...he's bad.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2023, 11:16 AM)Bing Ghuls Wrote: I was saying this at the beginning of the season. I knew there would be some "growing pains" but we are over halfway through the season and we are running out of time to fix these issues.

Well, I think the Bills have shown they are flawed on offense and just fired their OC.
Reply/Quote
Further in the Goodberry video and CTB had the worse play of the game so far imo.

He was on Brown man to man then for NO REASON AT ALL stopped guarding him and it led to a huge gain.

Like when i say he left Brown for no reason he literally didn’t have anyone else in the area

It was absurd

Addition: Still watching the video and CTB had ANOTHER bad play. He was in cover 3 as the boundary CB and he lets Brown run free even tho there were no other routes being run in his area.

These are bad plays because common sense would say just stick a guy if he stays in your area. Maybe CTB forgot that was Battle back there and had a flashback to Bell because it looks like he expected his safety to take the guy but Battle wasn’t guarding shit. This communication is HORRIBLE

I like watching Goodberry’s breakdowns because he doesn’t watch tape as a fan. He watches it as a coach and he highlights things you never saw during the live game

Cam Sample had a play he could’ve made on that long Dalton Shultz and Cam S just made a bad read and turned a possible sack into a Shultz conversion.

Hilton was asked to take on lineman too damn much

Dax got beat in coverage for a conversion.

NO ONE was setting the edge at all

Trey H is playing selfishly(Goodberry didn’t say this, this is my opinion). Trey is purposely not keeping run support so he can rush the QB. The Texans took advantage of this Trey H tendency and killed us. Trey has to know when you pressure QBs like he does, teams will start letting you rush just to run right by you. Some run plays Trey was 8 yards in the backfield and he didn’t realize it was by design. Hubbard on the flip side understands this and takes really good angles while rushing so he can also support the run.

Losing Hubbard may be more important than losing Trey
-Housh
Reply/Quote
It's kind of the Marvin era Bengals with Dalton that made the playoffs 5 years in a row. Free agency slowly ripped that team apart.

Losing Bates and Bell was big. You just can't replace upper tier starters with mediocre free agents and draft picks.
Reply/Quote