Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye Brandon Phillips
There goes another one of my favorites. He has been traded to the Braves.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Saw this posted.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4558999-breaking-braves-reportedly-close-to-acquiring-star-infielder-from-reds

I've always liked Phillips, but I also feel like his best days have passed. Reds are wise to get out from under that contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 04:23 AM)Trademark Wrote: There goes another one of my favorites. He has been traded to the Braves.

Kinda weird he goes to a team farther away from the playoffs than the Reds.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Love BP. That glove, man.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 11:35 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Saw this posted.

http://www.12up.com/posts/4558999-breaking-braves-reportedly-close-to-acquiring-star-infielder-from-reds

I've always liked Phillips, but I also feel like his best days have passed.  Reds are wise to get out from under that contract.

Reds will pay 14 mil. of his salary this year.  Need to get something good in return, to be sure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 01:48 PM)McC Wrote: Reds will pay 14 mil. of his salary this year.  Need to get something good in return, to be sure.

Couple of fringe middle reliever prospects are coming back. Just a salary dump and opening a spot of Peraza or Herrera.

BP was a way better player than I ever thought he would be when we claimed him and he's up there with the all-time great Reds. Thanks for some great years.
Reply/Quote
This team is in a full rebuild, no use having him. Thanks BP. Time to let some of the younger guys get their chance.
Reply/Quote
Heavily doubt I watch the Reds this season, who really wants to watch a bunch of no name players? (Other than Votto.)
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 02:59 PM)Trademark Wrote: Heavily doubt I watch the Reds this season, who really wants to watch a bunch of no name players? (Other than Votto.)

Well, considering what the name players were unable to do, maybe it's time to turn the page.  I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what the young guys can do.  Might be no names now but maybe they won't stay that way.

Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 02:59 PM)Trademark Wrote: Heavily doubt I watch the Reds this season, who really wants to watch a bunch of no name players? (Other than Votto.)

Hamilton, Duvall, Peraza, Mesoraco (maybe), Suarez, Finnegan. Thats a good young nucleus and we should see some top prospects in Herrera, Winker, Reed, Stephenson, Garrett and Senzel in September. Not expecting a lot of winning this year, but should still be fun to watch some kids show off their skills and improve as the season goes along.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 03:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hamilton, Duvall, Peraza, Mesoraco (maybe), Suarez, Finnegan. Thats a good young nucleus and we should see some top prospects in Herrera, Winker, Reed, Stephenson, Garrett and Senzel in September. Not expecting a lot of winning this year, but should still be fun to watch some kids show off their skills and improve as the season goes along.

Good luck to them having any sellouts this season. I love Hamilton but this team definitely isn't winning anything for the next 10 years
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 03:28 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Hamilton, Duvall, Peraza, Mesoraco (maybe), Suarez, Finnegan. Thats a good young nucleus and we should see some top prospects in Herrera, Winker, Reed, Stephenson, Garrett and Senzel in September. Not expecting a lot of winning this year, but should still be fun to watch some kids show off their skills and improve as the season goes along.

They'll sell more programs, as casual fans trying to figure out who all these new names are.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 04:25 PM)Trademark Wrote: Good luck to them having any sellouts this season. I love Hamilton but this team definitely isn't winning anything for the next 10 years

Opening Day is always a sellout.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
So...they probably would have been better off just sitting his ass.

Seriously, two 27+ year old prospects that have no real promise and we still pay 13 of the 14 millions owed to him?

I don't get it.

The Straily trade was genius. This just looks like the front office was desperate.
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 09:37 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So...they probably would have been better off just sitting his ass.

Seriously, two 27+ year old prospects that have no real promise and we still pay 13 of the 14 millions owed to him?

I don't get it.

The Straily trade was genius. This just looks like the front office was desperate.

Willing to pay him 13 mil to play for someone else.  How crazy is that?

Reply/Quote
I don't understand the paying most of this years salary part.

This trade makes me sad. Sad
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 02:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Couple of fringe middle reliever prospects are coming back. Just a salary dump and opening a spot of Peraza or Herrera.

BP was a way better player than I ever thought he would be when we claimed him and he's up there with the all-time great Reds. Thanks for some great years.

Ehhhhh...

Sticking to players in the modern era, that would put him in the same category as Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Frank Robinson, Joey Votto, Jose Rijo, Barry Larkin, George Foster, etc. He's certainly not up there with them.

Phillips probably squeaks in the bottom of the next tier behind folk like Tony Perez, Ted Kluzewski, and on par with the Mario Soto, Jim Maloney, Eric Davis, and Johnny Cueto-type Reds careers, and right above the Adam Dunns/Jay Bruces.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Best wishes to BP, always played his heart out in Cincy.  Loved watching him play.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 07:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ehhhhh...

Sticking to players in the modern era, that would put him in the same category as Johnny Bench, Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Frank Robinson, Joey Votto, Jose Rijo, Barry Larkin, George Foster, etc. He's certainly not up there with them.

Phillips probably squeaks in the bottom of the next tier behind folk like Tony Perez, Ted Kluzewski, and on par with the Mario Soto, Jim Maloney, Eric Davis, and Johnny Cueto-type Reds careers, and right above the Adam Dunns/Jay Bruces.

Your comparing apples and c-clamps.. Had Phillips played with the BRM he would be right up there with the greats, but he didn't.  His fielding was utterly astonishing at times and he was no slouch at bat either. I actually had hoped he would retire as a Red, but that wasn't to be. Many things have changed baseball including pitching and how the game is played fundamentally. Would he have fit in back when Ty Cobb was stabbing guys in the legs with his spikes? Nobody will ever know. As far as I'm concerned he was the greatest 2nd baseman we had. Morgan didn't have the glove skills so we bid farewell and hope our next 2nd baseman is just as great.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2017, 10:47 PM)grampahol Wrote: Your comparing apples and c-clamps.. Had Phillips played with the BRM he would be right up there with the greats, but he didn't.  His fielding was utterly astonishing at times and he was no slouch at bat either. I actually had hoped he would retire as a Red, but that wasn't to be. Many things have changed baseball including pitching and how the game is played fundamentally. Would he have fit in back when Ty Cobb was stabbing guys in the legs with his spikes? Nobody will ever know. As far as I'm concerned he was the greatest 2nd baseman we had. Morgan didn't have the glove skills so we bid farewell and hope our next 2nd baseman is just as great.  

Brandon Phillips w/ Reds: 3 AS, 0 MVPs, 4 Gold Gloves in 11 seasons
Joe Morgan w/ Reds: 8 AS, 2 MVPs, 5 Gold Gloves in 8 seasons

Brandon Phillips w/ Reds: .279/.325/.429/.753, 99 OPS+
Joe Morgan w/ Reds: .288/.415/.470/.885, 147 OPS+

Brandon Phillips w/ Reds: 17.4 HR/season, 18 SB/season (73.8% SB success)
Joe Morgan w/ Reds: 19 HR/season, 50.75 SB/season (82.9% SB success)

Brandon Phillips w/ Reds: 30.5 WAR in 11 seasons, 0 Playoff Series Wins
Joe Morgan w/ Reds: 57.8 WAR in 8 seasons, 2x World Series Champs

You Sir, are on crack if you think Joe Morgan is the greatest 2B the Reds have ever had. Either that, or you're 16 and don't know any better. Bradon Phillips wishes he could hold Joe Morgan's jock strap. Lol

Here's a little secret. People didn't just become good players because they were on the BRM. The BRM was the BRM because of the players that were on it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote