Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodbye Brandon Phillips
(02-12-2017, 12:02 PM)McC Wrote: Kinda weird he goes to a team farther away from the playoffs than the Reds.

Maybe why he turned trade down a few months ago using his veteran veto. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-12-2017, 01:48 PM)McC Wrote: Reds will pay 14 mil. of his salary this year.  Need to get something good in return, to be sure.
This part I don't get.  Reds paying him 14 million to play for another team, and the two pitchers they got are horse meat. Two real bums that have never did anything, anywhere.  I could see if it was a payroll dump, but not if they still have to pay him.  This is all about Reds wanting the two young guys at 2nd and Short.  Reds trying to trade Cozart also.  I have no problem with youth movement considering their only pitching hopes are the young pitchers, not including these stiffs they just got.   Might have been nice if they could have traded Phillips and Cozart together and maybe got a good young player as opposed to what Braves just traded us.

Phillips played some good ball here. Joe Morgan best second base for Reds ever, but no flies on Phillips for all around play.  He may even have good year in Atlanta, for Fantasy Baseballers needing help at second base. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Hate to break the bad news LL, but those gold gloves aren't made from real gold but are reflection of popularity just like the probowl and HOF. THE two players played in completely different eras. You can believe whatever you want and dig up whatever stats you like. 
It's not as if Morgan was 1000 times better. He wasn't.  Both Phillips and Morgan were great 2nd basement. The outcome of the game isn't determined by who garners the most nostalgic hanky snot.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I loved watching both Morgan and Phillips, both outstanding players. Brandon made catches nobody else could. Little Joe was awesome at reading pitchers and stealing clutch bases. Both were excellent hitters in a position that today too many players are out there for their fielding and not much else. I'll never forget the one time Phillips had an off day and some kid tweeted him to come to their Little League game and he DID because he said he never wanted to forget where he came from. Thanks for the memories and best of luck in Atlanta, sorry to see you go; but with the rebuilding I guess it's time. Sad
Reply/Quote