Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell asked Chad Johnson for advice on new celebration rules
Apparently because Chad was able to celebrate in a tasteful and fun manner, rather than twerking and humping goal posts.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chad-johnson-plays-part-in-new-celebration-rule-probably-deserves-refund-on-fines/

The article is worth reading, but here's Chad's quotes:

Quote:"Well, I didn't puff a cigar, but I knew the rule change was coming," Johnson told me during an in-depth interview on the latest "B-More Opinionated" podcast. "I had talked to Roger [Goodell] a couple of times at length, maybe two or three times, before the rule change came out. And he asked my advice on what he could do to be able to loosen the reins on the celebration rules, but at the same time maintain the respect and integrity of the game.

"And I said, 'It's a fine line, and you have to find a way to find a balance between letting the players have fun and be themselves, without losing the integrity of the game as well.' And honestly, I told him, 'You only have to worry about who is celebrating and actually making the headlines, and that would be your top players who consistently score all the time.'"

"I think we as former players, we don't really have to say anything," Johnson said during a wildly entertaining 20-minute interview that touched on other topics as well. "I think they can see it in the ratings, with ratings being down. And If I'm not mistaken, last year the ratings were some of the lowest as far as views are concerned from a TV standpoint. It's obvious. It's obvious. This is a game of entertainment. Back in the days where gladiators used to fight it was for entertainment purposes; that's what sports are -- entertainment. And when you take that part of the game away, what are you watching? You're watching a bunch of robots. It's like watching a video game."

The man has a point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's actually very well-spoken on Chad's part and an intelligent interview ThumbsUp

I was avoiding this thread because I thought it was stupid and I was thinking "why are they asking Chad? They're going from one extreme with no celebrations, to another extreme with the most celebrations possible," but Chad is just saying celebrate, but keep it classy. Have fun but don't make it a circus. Make it fun and enjoyable to watch without it being a clown-show.

Touché, Chad ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's actually very well-spoken on Chad's part and an intelligent interview  ThumbsUp

I was avoiding this thread because I thought it was stupid and I was thinking "why are they asking Chad?  They're going from one extreme with no celebrations, to another extreme with the most celebrations possible," but Chad is just saying celebrate, but keep it classy.  Have fun but don't make it a circus.  Make it fun and enjoyable to watch without it being a clown-show.

Touché, Chad  ThumbsUp

Goodell needs to go all in and make Chad the "Official NFL TD Celebration Reviewer".
Chad reviews all TDs in real time then issues any penalties or fines immediately.
He also can pop into the TV programming to tell fans why he made his latest decision while smoking a Cigar.
Deon Sanders can then comment on whether he thinks Chad made a good decision or not.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: It's actually very well-spoken on Chad's part and an intelligent interview  ThumbsUp

I was avoiding this thread because I thought it was stupid and I was thinking "why are they asking Chad?  They're going from one extreme with no celebrations, to another extreme with the most celebrations possible," but Chad is just saying celebrate, but keep it classy.  Have fun but don't make it a circus.  Make it fun and enjoyable to watch without it being a clown-show.

Touché, Chad  ThumbsUp

IMHO, all "celebrations" are clown shows 'cause they are all about "look at me".
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:44 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: IMHO, all "celebrations" are clown shows 'cause they are all about "look at me".

And the worst one's are the one's that are scripted in advance. It's more about getting something on Madden than scoring for your team...
Reply/Quote
Chad is the expert when it comes to celebrations... Just makes sense he'd be part of the process

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:44 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: IMHO, all "celebrations" are clown shows 'cause they are all about "look at me".

Yes. Sadly Chad is about as well known for celebrating as he is for being an elite WR in his day.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:44 PM)PV Bengal Wrote: IMHO, all "celebrations" are clown shows 'cause they are all about "look at me".

So when the whole team comes running down the field high-fiving/clapping, does that not count? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 01:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And the worst one's are the one's that are scripted in advance. It's more about getting something on Madden than scoring for your team...

Unfortunatley none of the celebrations are on Madden. The NFL actually has very strict oversight over the game and limits many things from being in the game, including concussions.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 12:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apparently because Chad was able to celebrate in a tasteful and fun manner, rather than twerking and humping goal posts.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chad-johnson-plays-part-in-new-celebration-rule-probably-deserves-refund-on-fines/

The article is worth reading, but here's Chad's quotes:

This. There's no need at all to be twerking and humping a goal post. But eating popcorn, putting the football, etc? Sure, I don't see a problem with that. As long as that team is respectful of the other team and any youthful viewers, I am fine with celebrations. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I thought all of Chad's celebrations were fun and respectful.

The Riverdance, CPR on the football, Putting with the endzone pylon were all fun. Other than stomping on the Dallas star T.O. even managed to have some fun celebrations.

Bring fun to the NFL when it comes to celebrations not club dancing.

Got to give credit to Ezekiel Elliot though him jumping into the Salvation Army kettle was exactly the kind of celebration that needs to be encouraged.
Reply/Quote

Does that include fans who jump up and down and scream and high-five each other when their team scores? 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 03:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Does that include fans who jump up and down and scream and high-five each other when their team scores? 

Can't tell if you are serious or being goofy here, but that is part of the NFL experience. 
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 03:57 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Can't tell if you are serious or being goofy here, but that is part of the NFL experience. 

I'm serious.  People who act like rabid morons when their team scores like to hold the players, who are actually involved in the game, actually accomplished something, and dedicate their whole lives to football to a higher standard when it comes to masking their enthusiasm when they score.

It's kinda wacky.  Hell, we'd probably criticize our fellow fans who don't get worked up when we score, but if the guy who actually did the scoring gets a little too excited we get to send some tut tut's his way.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 04:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm serious.  People who act like rabid morons when their team scores like to hold the players, who are actually involved in the game, actually accomplished something, and dedicate their whole lives to football to a higher standard when it comes to masking their enthusiasm when they score.

It's kinda wacky.  Hell, we'd probably criticize our fellow fans who don't get worked up when we score, but if the guy who actually did the scoring gets a little too excited we get to send some tut tut's his way.  

Totally understand what you're saying Nate. I just don't like the whole choreographed dance routines. 
Yeah, nothing worse than having a person sitting behind you during a game, complaining about not being able to see because 10,000 people in front of him standing and having fun!!
Reply/Quote
Then why were celebrations with more than one person banned?  Players haven't even been able to come out and chest-bump or give a high-five in recent years.  That definitely made it a "look at me" thing, but they also took away all the fun things, so it was all lame.

Celebrations make the entire team happy and just make it more fun for fans to watch.

Even if they are "look at me" acts, we, the fans, are paying them millions of dollars to play a game, but then turn around and say "you can't have fun with it or celebrate it like it's a game"?

That makes no sense.
(05-30-2017, 02:50 PM)jason Wrote: Yes. Sadly Chad is about as well known for celebrating as he is for being an elite WR in his day.
He celebrated because he was an elite receiver and there's nothing wrong with celebrating your play with entertainment and celebrations.

You're actually making a case FOR celebrating because you shouldn't celebrate if you can't back it up! 
(05-30-2017, 03:06 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: So when the whole team comes running down the field high-fiving/clapping, does that not count? 

EXACTLY!

Make the game fun again and build unity!  The game was getting so isolated when you couldn't celebrate together and then interviews were only for the stars!

Make it a team game again by allowing everyone to play it and celebrate it like the GAME THAT IT IS!
Reply/Quote
The point at the name plate is enough for me...

TD celebration is great if its the game winner.. If your down by 4 TDs you just look like a moron celebrating a losing effort.

First down pointing is fine... A quick sack celebration is cool unless its dumb like the belly dance. But if your celebrating you're 1 good play a game you should instead be focused on making more of those plays so they are so routine you don't feel the need to celebrate them anymore.

Players celebrating need to have situational awareness. or else its meaningless
Reply/Quote
Rating aren't down because of the lack of end zone celebrations but because the league favors certain teams over others or the perception of favoritism.

As for the end zone celebrations, I'm happy players will be allowed to celebrate a little more now. It will make the game fun again for the fans and the players.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 07:34 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Rating aren't down because of the lack of end zone celebrations but because the league favors certain teams over others or the perception of favoritism.

As for the end zone celebrations, I'm happy players will be allowed to celebrate a little more now. It will make the game fun again for the fans and the players.

Good point. Favoritism is derailing the NFL. Celebrations won't save it, will only give it a more "WWF" appeal. Don't have an issue with celebrating but as mentioned before, make it family friendly.

Reply/Quote
I hope Chad told Goodell to pull the pin on a grenade and shove it up his arse. You will never get help from our guys, you assbag.
Reply/Quote