Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goodell contract dispute
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21356011/jerry-jones-attorney-says-letter-nfl-owners-being-misled-roger-goodell-contract-negotiations

The NFL has already gotten a lot of bad PR lately and has lost a lot of viewers. If Jones follows through with a lawsuit and it is proven that things aren't on the up and up as he claims could this be the end of the league as we know it? 

Would this be bigger than the MLB steroid scandal and prompt Congressional hearings? 
Reply/Quote
Goodell did pick the wrong two owners to royally piss off in Jones and Kraft with his absurd suspensions of their star players. But the decrease in viewership has little to do with Goodell and his actions as comish, and he has undoubtedly done a good job from a business standpoint.

I expect him to be renewed rather uneventfully. If Jones wants to "get back" at Goodell, he should follow the Patriots' example and win the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 12:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Goodell did pick the wrong two owners to royally piss off in Jones and Kraft with his absurd suspensions of their star players. But the decrease in viewership has little to do with Goodell and his actions as comish, and he has undoubtedly done a good job from a business standpoint.

I expect him to be renewed rather uneventfully. If Jones wants to "get back" at Goodell, he should follow the Patriots' example and win the Superbowl.

If the Coyboys (not a misspell) win the superbowl in the next 10 years I'll eat my shoe. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 12:30 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Goodell did pick the wrong two owners to royally piss off in Jones and Kraft with his absurd suspensions of their star players. But the decrease in viewership has little to do with Goodell and his actions as comish, and he has undoubtedly done a good job from a business standpoint.

According to the article Jones has beeen threatening the lawsuit since May, long before Elliott's suspension was handed down. While I have no doubt that is a factor now, it isn't the main reason why Jones is threatening legal action.

Actually I would say Goodell is at minimum 90% responsible for the drop in viewership. 

Two of the biggest reasons for ratings going down are the protests and piss poor officiating (which includes inconsistent punishments by the league), both of which Goodell could do something about if he wanted. 
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 05:56 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Actually I would say Goodell is at minimum 90% responsible for the drop in viewership. 

Two of the biggest reasons for ratings going down are the protests and piss poor officiating (which includes inconsistent punishments by the league), both of which Goodell could do something about if he wanted. 

That's like saying the reason I have aids is because I sneezed in an elevator and slept with a Bangladeshi prostitute; one clearly has more of an effect than the other.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2017, 05:56 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: According to the article Jones has beeen threatening the lawsuit since May, long before Elliott's suspension was handed down. While I have no doubt that is a factor now, it isn't the main reason why Jones is threatening legal action.

Actually I would say Goodell is at minimum 90% responsible for the drop in viewership. 

The investigation in itself has been going on for way too long as it is. Pretty sure it is well over a year old. So bogus investigations might have been a better wording for that.

And while I'm sure there is a segment of ex-viewers that are crotchety old timers who don't want to see people demonstrating or yearn for the days where the NFL didn't give a damn for the well being of the players, the NFL's actual issues are harder for Goodell himself to control. It's the same reasons ratings are down for all sports. It's not unique to the NFL.

The one that he or his successor should focus on, is oversaturation. The NFL has gotten in its own way by expanding to 6 time slots.
Reply/Quote

I don't know how superb a job he's done.  If you get credit for the revenue ups then you have to hold the bag for the revenue drops.  I think they peaked with all his expansion of the product, going to London, Thursday Night games, etc and now it's going to drop.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
OH NOES! Viewership is down!  OMG! OMG! OMG! Whatamigonnado?

The day that I worry about football tv ratings is the day that I'll voluntarily have my nuts crushed in a vise while singing the theme song to My Little Pony.. 

This is so low on my list of shit to worry about that the latest toilet paper embossing pattern is far more important. Come to think about it I do mention toilet paper embossing patterns a lot. I guess it's important in the grand scheme of things..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Concluding that viewership is significantly down based on network ratings, is like saying all the millions of people that have given up their home landline no longer talk on the phone.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 12:48 PM)BMK Wrote: Concluding that viewership is significantly down based on network ratings, is like saying all the millions of people that have given up their  home landline no longer talk on the phone.

But they get paid off of network ratings.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 12:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: But they get paid off of network ratings.

Fair point. Very true.   Unfortunately for the NFL, they're locked in to that model until contracts expire.   But, we've well reached the point where lower network viewership / revenue, does not necessarily mean lower overall viewership of the product (the NFL).

My guess is that the NFL is already working on a completely new model the moment the network contracts end that will take advantage of all the new viewing options.  That's why, in my opinion, it would be a mistake to get rid of Goodell. That's the one thing he's really good at.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2017, 02:39 PM)BMK Wrote: Fair point. Very true.   Unfortunately for the NFL, they're locked in to that model until contracts expire.   But, we've well reached the point where lower network viewership / revenue, does not necessarily mean lower overall viewership of the product (the NFL).

My guess is that the NFL is already working on a completely new model the moment the network contracts end that will take advantage of all the new viewing options.  That's why, in my opinion, it would be a mistake to get rid of Goodell. That's the one thing he's really good at.

Stewardship of the league is critical at this point.  The model for how people consume their product is in the midst of its most radical shift since they began broadcasting games post-WWII.  Goodell, whatever bad you can say about him (and mich of that is anger over specific actions against players), strikes me as a steady influence, and someone who can see the next few steps ahead.  I think the league is in good hands with him at the helm.

Besides, it'll royally piss off Jones and Kraft, and that's the icing on the cake.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote