Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Government Shutdown
Word in the meeting today is that my job is essential, I guess the rest of you government zombies are on your own.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A bipartisan bill was introduced that would block members of Congress from getting paid if the U.S. enters debt default or if the government shuts down.

The No Pay for Congress During Default or Shutdown Act, introduced by Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), would withhold lawmakers' pay for the duration of a debt limit breach or lapse in federal funding, an attempt to motivate legislators to prevent either situation.

The bill comes amid growing fears that Republicans will not agree to meet the June 1 deadline set by the Treasury Department to raise the debt limit and risk a catastrophic default on U.S. obligations.

“Lawmakers should not be rewarded with our salaries until we do our jobs," Spanberger said.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2023, 05:52 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: A bipartisan bill was introduced that would block members of Congress from getting paid if the U.S. enters debt default or if the government shuts down.

The No Pay for Congress During Default or Shutdown Act, introduced by Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA) and Brian Fitzpatrick (R-PA), would withhold lawmakers' pay for the duration of a debt limit breach or lapse in federal funding, an attempt to motivate legislators to prevent either situation.

The bill comes amid growing fears that Republicans will not agree to meet the June 1 deadline set by the Treasury Department to raise the debt limit and risk a catastrophic default on U.S. obligations.

“Lawmakers should not be rewarded with our salaries until we do our jobs," Spanberger said.

Hopefully there is no back pay on that as well. 
Reply/Quote
2 days from shutdown and this is the bill Republicans introduce

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Republican millionnaire congressman ( 3,1M net worth ( another rich man's son of course working for Harlan Crow ... )) saying he's going to get his salary during the shutdown because he has a family to feed ( Hello Latrell Sprewell ) while blocking troops, teachers, nurses to have theirs.

Shameless people.

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1707479207486353838

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 05:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does that hurt people ? 

Yes ! 

So let's do it folks. 

And why don't they vote for us ???

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 05:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And after the backlash he should have expected, he has since flip-flopped on his whine about being poor.  He now will refuse his salary.  His father is the former CEO of Trammel Crow, the company that provided Clarence Thomas benefactor Harlan Crow, with all his money.  Don Williams is a liberal.

Brandon, who lives several miles outside his district boundaries, still has not fulfilled his promise to move into it

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 04:41 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Republican millionnaire congressman  ( 3,1M net worth ( another rich man's son of course working for Harlan Crow ...  )) saying he's going to get his salary during the shutdown because he has a family to feed ( Hello Latrell Sprewell )  while blocking troops, teachers, nurses to have theirs.

Shameless people.

https://twitter.com/WUTangKids/status/1707479207486353838

Only 3.1m? He's definitely on the low end of the totem pole. Must be fairly new to the game.

No worries though, I'm sure both sides will chastise him for his comments. 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2023, 05:57 PM)pally Wrote: And after the backlash he should have expected, he has since flip-flopped on his whine about being poor.  He now will refuse his salary.  His father is the former CEO of Trammel Crow, the company that provided Clarence Thomas benefactor Harlan Crow, with all his money.  Don Williams is a liberal.

Brandon, who lives several miles outside his district boundaries, still has not fulfilled his promise to move into it

I call BS. Those people only live for power and money, nothing else. He's gonna take his paycheck without much sympathy for anyone else just pretending not to. 

That's their nature, that's who they are. They don't have any empathy, it's a soul disability.

Reply/Quote
https://www.yahoo.com/news/matt-gaetz-kevin-mccarthy-infighting-175649436.html

Quote:Matt Gaetz and Kevin McCarthy’s Infighting Reaches New Levels of Stupid
Mark Alfred
Thu, September 28, 2023 at 10:56 AM PDT·3 min read

[Image: 879fb67744339d43111e471f5ab363db]
Olivier Douliery/AFP via Getty

With a government shutdown just two days away, Republicans in the House gathered behind closed doors Thursday to hammer out their divisions and reach a consensus to avert crisis.

At least, that was the plan before Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) blew up a House GOP conference meeting to instead demand an answer to his No. 1 question: Is Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) paying people to troll me on the internet?

Conservative influencers have been seen attempting to promote their negative media campaign against Gaetz, and there’s been a suggestion that McCarthy and his allies are behind it. But when aggressively questioned in a conference meeting Thursday, the speaker maintained he had nothing to do with the trolling.

“I asked McCarthy direct question: Were you out there paying for people to try to create a false negative sentiment about me online?” Gaetz told The Hill. “And his non sequitur retort was that he was giving out two and a half million dollars to other Republicans at breakfast.”

McCarthy has denied any involvement with the social media campaign and reportedly told Gaetz he’s not worth the time or money anyway.

The entire endeavor not only underscores the significant rift among House Republicans who have been unable to agree on even the most basic measures to keep the government funded, but also the wild unseriousness of the debates that are standing in the way of functional governance.

Sources told CNN that House members derided Gaetz after his outburst in the meeting, referring to him as a “scumbag” and telling him to promptly “**** off.”

The trolling allegations so irked McCarthy that at his direction the speaker’s outside counsel filed a cease-and-desist to the influencer network behind the posts, Politico reported.

“This email puts you on notice that you must immediately cease and desist or we will move forward with all remedies under the law influencing the pursuit of damages where warranted,” McCarthy’s lawyer, Elliot Berke, wrote.

Gaetz has imperiled McCarthy’s efforts to keep the government functioning at every turn, threatening to call a vote ousting the speaker if his demands and those of his far-right allies go unmet.

The Florida Republican’s demands have doomed the prospect of the House moving ahead with a Senate-crafted bipartisan plan to keep the government open, which McCarthy has vowed to avoid even voting on.

Republicans have instead opted to continue fumbling over their own version of the spending package, which—even if they are able to cut through their divisions and pass it—would be dead on arrival in the Senate.

As the prospect of a shutdown grows and Republicans fail to put forward their own plan, the federal government has begun to notify workers that they may be among the millions of people who will not be paid as the government grinds to a halt.
I wonder why McCarthy wanted the title but not the job?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Rich men north of Richmond suck!
Reply/Quote
The House just passed a 45-day continuing resolution.... 335-91. It received more Democratic votes than Republican. It moves on to the Senate where hopefully it will also pass. Of course, the odds are we will be doing this countdown again in November as the extremist right-wing will still stymie any bill that doesn't include draconian cuts that not only will not pass the House but never get through the Senate.

McCarthy is likely to face a vote against his speakership in the ensuing 45 day. He broke the rules of the extreme caucus...he worked with the Democrats

Reply/Quote
https://x.com/sonofhas/status/1708198464230756408?s=46&t=0fdWHkAtFeOeT5pnvxEBSA
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 04:04 PM)pally Wrote: The House just passed a 45-day continuing resolution.... 335-91.  It received more Democratic votes than Republican.  It moves on to the Senate where hopefully it will also pass.  Of course, the odds are we will be doing this countdown again in November as the extremist right-wing will still stymie any bill that doesn't include draconian cuts that not only will not pass the House but never get through the Senate.

McCarthy is likely to face a vote against his speakership in the ensuing 45 day.  He broke the rules of the extreme caucus...he worked with the Democrats

I will think you would be happy, McCarthy got a bi-partisan bill passed. Now it goes to the Democratic controlled Senate to avoid a shutdown.

As for McCarthy, who knows but I am not sure they have the votes to remove him. There are only 20 discontented reps. 

Another threat of. shutdown will disappear if Schumer can get it passed. Ball back in Democrats court now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 06:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I will think you would be happy, McCarthy got a bi-partisan bill passed. Now it goes to the Democratic controlled Senate to avoid a shutdown.

As for McCarthy, who knows but I am not sure they have the votes to remove him. There are only 20 discontented reps. 

Another threat of. shutdown will disappear if Schumer can get it passed. Ball back in Democrats court now.

The Democrats would not have voted for it in the House if they didn't think they had the Democratic votes for it in the Senate.  The wildcard is McConnell's group of merry men.

This only pushes the fight down the road for another 45 days

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2023, 07:28 PM)pally Wrote: The Democrats would not have voted for it in the House if they didn't think they had the Democratic votes for it in the Senate.  The wildcard is McConnell's group of merry men.

This only pushes the fight down the road for another 45 days

45 days better than 48 hours
Reply/Quote
Nobody talking about the blatant attempt to undermine this getting done by democrat rep Bowman?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jamaal-bowman-pulled-fire-alarm-rcna118230
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote