Poll: How Do You Grade The Overall 2017 Bengals Draft?
A+
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade This Years Draft
This is the most boom or bust draft we've ever had. If we get through it with Ross being great, Mixon out of trouble, 1 of the DL being good, 1 of the DL being a good rotational player, and whatever the K name is be above average we will be lucky
Reply/Quote
I think this is the beginning of a new chapter in the Brown era. It's no surprise to anyone that I disagree with going WR in the first and so on. But it's obvious this team is going in a different direction. I think we are trying to take a page out of Atlanta's book with building a faster team. Will this approach work in the AFCN? will we see more hurry up offense? Will this help mask the weakness in our O line? But most of all do we have the coaches to do this. I hope this gamble works.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 11:13 PM)Derrick Wrote: With no significant Oline improvement, it is imperative that they keep Macaron.

Why so he can get killed as well?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I would say the earlier rounds were good, and not as sure on the later rounds. I also think we showed our usual lack of creativity and used all the picks this year instead of trading some off for picks next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A-

I haven't been this excited after a draft since AJ/Dalton. We went after needs, and took some bold risks on some players. We garnered a lot of talent, and made some moves in terms of trading around for players we wanted.

I will have to give props to the creativity, and hope a lot of the riskier picks (Ross/Mixon) pay off.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:04 AM)eoxyod Wrote: This is the most boom or bust draft we've ever had. If we get through it with Ross being great, Mixon out of trouble, 1 of the DL being good, 1 of the DL being a good rotational player, and whatever the K name is be above average we will be lucky

I don't see this draft as any more boom or bust than any other draft.

We took athletically gifted players at each round.

That's about all you can ask out of a draft nowadays.

I remember being absolutely thrilled with the 2013 draft.

We took athletically gifted players throughout the 7 rounds. Some of them worked out. Many of them didn't.

Same with the 2015 draft. 

Injuries can ruin any player, whether they had an injury history or not.

The only truly risky pick I see is the Mixon pick. And that's not for medical reasons, but because of his off field stuff. The good news is even he has been very well behaved for the last 3 years. So I think the risk of him is overplayed. It's mostly just the bad PR that he's giving the Bengals that is a problem.
Reply/Quote
Gave it an A-. First 3-4 picks were home runs, plus they landed an extra 4th.

It was kinda average after that, but they addressed all needs. Would've preferred an o-lineman a bit sooner. Not sure about the kicker we chose. We'll see on that. As always, I slam the Bengals when they deserve it, but I'm just as willing to give deserved props. This was a good draft. The opposite of the Ogbuehi/Fisher draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 01:07 AM)Joelist Wrote: I would say the earlier rounds were good, and not as sure on the later rounds. I also think we showed our usual lack of creativity and used all the picks this year instead of trading some off for picks next year.

Agree 100% Could you imagine what NE would have done with 11 hell 12 picks. They would be happy with the draft and already excited about the next.
Reply/Quote
I went with a B. The talent is there, a health rust and character issues keep it from being an A for me.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 02:52 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I went with a B. The talent is there, a health rust and character issues keep it from being an A for me.

Exactly.

Reply/Quote
I think the A's are way too high. Injury questions on Ross and off field questions on Mixon and we didn't really address out biggest needs positions.....or did we....I'll get back to that.....I was going to give it a B since most of our picks are considered B picks.....but we were losers last year and the bar has to be set high to reach play-offs and play-off wins....So I voted C for now. I'm hoping it is an A or B draft....Until I see them help us win, it's a C to me....Now, on areas I thought we needed, O Line, LB, D Line.....We did get D Line help. I also like the 353 pound Colorado DT as an undrafted free agent. A possible Packers Gilbert or Fridge Perry type with some coaching up....So we got D Line help.....LB got some late help and also 2 undrafted free agents from Big 10 Illinois and Penn State with good upside. Remember Burfict went undrafted......The O Line. We never got the mid round player and I think we went kicker way too early passing on some good O Linemen early in 5th round. We also passed on some good O Linemen in 4th round. We did get an O Lineman comp pick in 5 almost like a 6th round. I am glad to say Bengals added undrafted free agent O Lineman from Texas Longhorns that is maybe strongest player in draft and was a high school All American and started 34 games for Longhorns at tackle or guard and led their RB to over 2,000 yards rushing. I see the stud O Lineman from Texas which to me is a great football state as a great addition....So I give Bengals a C because I'm not sure we added where needed to go from losing back to winning and much needed play-off wins.

So my C for now....I set the bar higher.....wanting team to go from losing to winning.....and play-off wins and Super Bowl.....We do that and I'll give even the water boy an A. ....as always, GO BENGALS. .....Get them into camp including some promising undrafted free agents, and GET THEM COACHED UP....WE LOST LAST YEAR.....GET THEM COACHED UP....While we have AJ Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap LET US SET THE GOAL SUPER BOWL. Building that O Line is going to be KEY. If we can block, we can win. If we can't block, we have no chance of winning.

The thread on UDFA is very good. We got a few interesting Needs Players after the draft. I'm hoping they come in and are like undrafted Burfict. It's a pretty good thread by person who started UDFA thread. I still give them a C until I see them win on the field. JUST WIN BABY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I may be being a homer, but I went A+ on this draft.

Realistically, if you can get 2-3 starters out of a draft class, you've done well. Ross, Mixon, and either Willis or Lawson will be starters by next year, and whoever loses out between Willis and Lawson will become a key rotation player and still see plenty of PT. Plus, we may have gotten our K, Glasgow could be a solid rotational NT, and we improved our return game.

The people marking this draft down because "We needed OL" just don't seem to get it. This draft was pitiful for OL. People who had pipe dreams about a 3rd round C with only one year of experience at the position from the worst OL class I can remember beating out a 3 year NFL starter with an average grade from PFF for a starting job are simply not being realistic. There are very few colleges putting out pro ready OL. You draft guys and develop them. Why waste picks on guys who weren't as good as prospects as the guys we currently have and don't have the development, either?
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 11:13 PM)Derrick Wrote: With no significant Oline improvement, it is imperative that they keep Macaron.

(04-30-2017, 01:01 AM)J24 Wrote: Why so he can get killed as well?

Exactly, J24. I've never understood that logic. If Dalton is getting killed, that means the o-line is terrible and the season is likely lost anyway. Plus McCarron hangs on to the ball and would only get killed even more. 

(04-30-2017, 01:07 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: A-

I haven't been this excited after a draft since AJ/Dalton.

Same here. This is the best draft we've had in years. Could top that one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: I will continue to say it every time someone brings it up. You can scheme offensive line play. Every year the patriots grab guys off the street and make it work. What we can't do is line up in shotgun and expect to sling it 30 times. We need a running game and we need play action off te running game.

I'd agree with you, but this is literally exactly what the Patriots do... Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 06:12 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd agree with you, but this is literally exactly what the Patriots do... Mellow

Thats not all the Patriots do, they know how to make critical adjustments throughout a game to counteract their opponent. The only adjustments Marvin is used to making during a Bengals game is what's in his pants.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 12:57 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I think this is the beginning of a new chapter in the Brown era. It's no surprise to anyone that I disagree with going WR in the first and so on. But it's obvious this team is going in a different direction. I think we are trying to take a page out of Atlanta's book with building a faster team. Will this approach work in the AFCN? will we see more hurry up offense? Will this help mask the weakness in our O line? But most of all do we have the coaches to do this. I hope this gamble works.

I sure hope not. However, Andy has been rushed continually. Therefore, he's learned all facets of his position. If this is the direction they are heading, my thought's are this: At least their doing something. I swear I think this team has lingering Bratkoski syndrome at times. Some of our plays, his plays, are still in our playbook. You know, shit that never worked and only got us laughed at and players killed.

I pray if the coaches are going to go in a different direction, they start at themselves. Stop drafting players and making them sit the damn bench. Get them out there and learn and play with their peers and become great. Shake the damn past and re-write the friggin playbook. Tired of being predictable. This draft was good to say the least, make it great and utilize the talent. Win us a trophy, and not a participation one either.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 06:12 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: I'd agree with you, but this is literally exactly what the Patriots do... Mellow

Actually they didn't this past season. They lined Blount in a single back formation and worked from under center probably more than they ever have this past season. When the did go shotgun they would use a lot of tunnel screens and dump off to the TE's and Backs to limit Brady's exposure to pressure. Not saying they don't go shotgun and sling it up the field, but not nearly as much as people think.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 04:39 AM)kevin Wrote: I think the A's are way too high.  Injury questions on Ross and off field questions on Mixon and we didn't really address out biggest needs positions.....or did we....I'll get back to that.....I was going to give it a B since most of our picks are considered B picks.....but we were losers last year and the bar has to be set high to reach play-offs and play-off wins....So I voted C for now.  I'm hoping it is an A or B draft....Until I see them help us win, it's a C to me....Now, on areas I thought we needed, O Line, LB, D Line.....We did get D Line help.  I also like the 353 pound Colorado DT as an undrafted free agent.  A possible Packers Gilbert or Fridge Perry type with some coaching up....So we got D Line help.....LB got some late help and also 2 undrafted free agents from Big 10 Illinois and Penn State with good upside. Remember Burfict went undrafted......The O Line.  We never got the mid round player and I think we went kicker way too early passing on some good O Linemen early in 5th round. We also passed on some good O Linemen in 4th round. We did get an O Lineman comp pick in 5 almost like a 6th round. I am glad to say Bengals added undrafted free agent O Lineman from Texas Longhorns that is maybe strongest player in draft and was a high school All American and started 34 games for Longhorns at tackle or guard and led their RB to over 2,000 yards rushing.  I see the stud O Lineman from Texas which to me is a great football state as a great addition....So I give Bengals a C because I'm not sure we added where needed to go from losing back to winning and much needed play-off wins.

So my C for now....I set the bar higher.....wanting team to go from losing to winning.....and play-off wins and Super Bowl.....We do that and I'll give even the water boy an A. ....as always, GO BENGALS. .....Get them into camp including some promising undrafted free agents, and GET THEM COACHED UP....WE LOST LAST YEAR.....GET THEM COACHED UP....While we have AJ Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap LET US SET THE GOAL SUPER BOWL.   Building that O Line is going to be KEY.  If we can block, we can win.  If we can't block, we have no chance of winning.

The thread on UDFA is very good.  We got a few interesting Needs Players after the draft.  I'm hoping they come in and are like undrafted Burfict.  It's a pretty good thread by person who started UDFA thread.  I still give them a C until I see them win on the field.  JUST WIN BABY.

^ Possibly the most asinine, unrealistic, misguided, out of whack expectations post I've read in months.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 05:27 AM)Whatever Wrote: I may be being a homer, but I went A+ on this draft.  

Realistically, if you can get 2-3 starters out of a draft class, you've done well.  Ross, Mixon, and either Willis or Lawson will be starters by next year, and whoever loses out between Willis and Lawson will become a key rotation player and still see plenty of PT.  Plus, we may have gotten our K, Glasgow could be a solid rotational NT, and we improved our return game.

The people marking this draft down because "We needed OL" just don't seem to get it.  This draft was pitiful for OL.  People who had pipe dreams about a 3rd round C with only one year of experience at the position from the worst OL class I can remember beating out a 3 year NFL starter with an average grade from PFF for a starting job are simply not being realistic.  There are very few colleges putting out pro ready OL.  You draft guys and develop them.  Why waste picks on guys who weren't as good as prospects as the guys we currently have and don't have the development, either?

I think people are mad cause the draft was more of a last desperate attempt to make this line better before this season. i know its rare to find a automatic starter at T in the later rounds of the draft but its not unheard of. The line was horrible last year when we had Whit and Zeitler, how do you think its going to be this year. I think we dropped the ball by not keeping Whit. He should have retired a Bengal. Im glad we picked up Smith but I think we should have tried for another OT in FA. 
Reply/Quote
I went with an A-, but it's between that and B+. Originally, I was very low on the draft, but all the draft sites are either giving us a B or ranking us in the top five drafts in the league.

1. Would have LOVED Howard here and I think he could have been huge for us. Ross could be really good, including a big play threat, but I'm wondering if Marvin will even let Zampese even take shots downfield with him.

2. Mixon- LOVE this pick because he's the best back in this class. He's explosive and will open-up play action a lot more than Hill does.

3. Willis- love it because we need more out of our horrible pass rush.

4. Lawson- same as Willis and I love doubling-up because you can never have too many pass rushers.

4. Glasgow- Solid pick. Might have been a bit early, but I think he can wreak havoc in the middle of the line. He could do well in freeing up Atkins and our ends.

5. Elliot- Wanted Gonzalez but I'm warming up to this pick after watching his pro day workout.

5. Dielman- we needed more help on the line and earlier, but he could battle for a spot.

6. Evans- not expecting much, but is fast enough to help on special teams and I'd like him to be more physical to play backer but he could eventually be solid in covering the tight ends of our division.

6. Wilson- not sure what to make of this pick.

7. Schreck- wanted Howard early but Schreck is a big target that I think is underrated and could be a great safety valve. We never seem to use players to their potential, though.

I'm leaning more towards an A after typing all that.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote