Poll: Grade the Signing
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-11-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Mike Gesicki Signing
I'm going with a B here. The contract looks great value, if he can play more like he did in Miami. Like is being said, I'm not a huge fan of just sticking a plastic at TE and hoping to make rentals work, but this is the next best thing unless we're going big for a TE in the draft. I like this group way more than I did last year now, so for me this is a progressive signing which should improve the team.
Reply/Quote
Gave it an A. He is almost identical in size to Eifert but with longer arms and bigger hands. Plus he is faster and can jump higher and further.

Former Dolphins franchise tag recipient. Probably going to be the best TE to play with Burrow to date.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gave it an A. He is almost identical in size to Eifert but with longer arms and bigger hands. Plus he is faster and can jump higher and further.

Former Dolphins franchise tag recipient. Probably going to be the best TE to play with Burrow to date.

Good comparison with Eifert. Gesicki is also a lot like Dalton Kincaid the TE we evidently wanted to draft in the 1st last Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:27 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: C

I’m getting pretty tired of these 1 year TE deals. But they had to sign someone at this point. We’ll see if he can get back to what he did in MIA.

D

Not sure if anyone ever regains form after 2 years gone.  I think he's 2024's Irv Smith.  The Pats kept Hunter Henry at $9 million/yr.
Who knows?  Maybe I'll be surprised.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
I think a solid B. Upside could easily be an A, bottom a C. If he gets targets I believe he will get catches.
Reply/Quote
A- Cheap Contract+ Good player!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:39 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: D

Not sure if anyone ever regains form after 2 years gone.  I think he's 2024's Irv Smith.  The Pats kept Hunter Henry at $9 million/yr.
Who knows?  Maybe I'll be surprised.

What do you mean 2 years gone? He’s played every season he’s been in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: do you mean Hurst?

No, Tanner Hudson from last year.  With his concussion injury last year, Hurst is too high risk IMHO and should consider retiring.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 10:23 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: No, Tanner Hudson from last year.  With his concussion injury last year, Hurst is too high risk IMHO and should consider retiring.

I would like to bring back Hudson myself over Hurst. We can draft another TE and put him on the PS if he is outplayed, but he deserves
to be back, he is older so he shouldn't be expensive and he is a good pass catching TE against the Zone.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I really like some of the TE's that should be around in the 3rd and 4th round for the future in Ben Sinnott, Theo Johnson and Cade
Stover which makes me feel better if we select one of these guys to learn behind Gesicki and Sample.

Exactly!  And with the additional draft capital of a comp 3rd (97) and additional 7th (from Texas) they should be able to make a move, if necessary, to get the guy they want. Personally, I like Stover for Cinci, high energy, high motor. That said, I admit to being an Ohio State homer. 

Time to slam shut the revolving door.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 10:43 PM)SouthernFan Wrote: Exactly!  And with the additional draft capital of a comp 3rd (97) and additional 7th (from Texas) they should be able to make a move, if necessary, to get the guy they want. Personally, I like Stover for Cinci, high energy, high motor. That said, I admit to being an Ohio State homer. 

Time to slam shut the revolving door.

Think that is why Gesicki is only on a 1 year deal, we like a lot of TE's in this draft to learn behind him and Sample, both of which are 1 trick
pony's at what they do. Gesicki as mainly a pass catcher and Sample as mainly a stud blocker. I also really like Stover, he is a lunch pail type 
of TE and I am not a OSU homer at all.

My favorite is Ben Sinnott besides Brock Bowers in this entire Draft. Theo Johnson's size at 6'8" or whatever and being even more athletic 
than Jimmy Graham sure makes him intriguing as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:56 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What do you mean 2 years gone? He’s played every season he’s been in the league.

I mean it's been 2 years since he's been relevant.  I just don't see a career resurrection.  More like 200-300 yards. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
am I the only one who likes tanner Hudson?
Reply/Quote
It is a C grade for me. Above average TE's like Fant are being paid 11M, we are paying 3M.

We are so traumatized by last year's TE room that anything looks better. I think MikeG will make some good plays for us, but he signed a minimum contract for one season for a reason. Hopefully he plays great.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 05:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gave it an A. He is almost identical in size to Eifert but with longer arms and bigger hands. Plus he is faster and can jump higher and further.

(03-12-2024, 05:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good comparison with Eifert. Gesicki is also a lot like Dalton Kincaid the TE we evidently wanted to draft in the 1st last Draft.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 11:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: It is a C grade for me.  Above average TE's like Fant are being paid 11M, we are paying 3M.

We are so traumatized by last year's TE room that anything looks better.  I think MikeG will make some good plays for us, but he signed a minimum contract for one season for a reason. Hopefully he plays great.

Noah Fant's numbers are not impressive. He has upside and that was why I wanted him. Gesicki is actually had the better career from
what I have seen and is a better pass catcher besides his last year with terrible QB play in NE. Gesicki looked good in Miami.

I would of never paid Fant what he was paid. I liked your come on guys gif BTW, made me laugh.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:48 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Noah Fant's numbers are not impressive. He has upside and that was why I wanted him. Gesicki is actually had the better career from
what I have seen and is a better pass catcher besides his last year with terrible QB play in NE. Gesicki looked good in Miami.

I would of never paid Fant what he was paid. I liked your come on guys gif BTW, made me laugh.

2 yrs 21M?  I would have paid Fant that number all day.  Stat chasing numbers such as yardage is not the optimal process in his case.  

Fant has not had good QBs and was in an offense with 3 very good WRs and another solid TE.

Tell me the last TE we had with catch and runs of 75 yards, 51 and 51?  I'll wait....

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:00 AM)casear2727 Wrote: 2 yrs 21M?  I would have paid Fant that number all day.  Stat chasing numbers such as yardage is not the optimal process in his case.  

Fant has not had good QBs and was in an offense with 3 very good WRs and another solid TE.

Tell me the last TE we had with catch and runs of 75 yards, 51 and 51?  I'll wait....

Well it looks like the last time we had a TE with 70 catches in a season it was Dan Ross and we went to the Super Bowl. And Gesicki had 73 in 2021. Then he was franchise tagged. The Dolphins hired a new head coach and decided they weren't going to feature a TE in the pass game and he had a down year. Then he goes to the Patriots disaster O. You know what is a good way to revive your TE career? Sign with the Bengals, I mean damn, Irv got a job with the super bowl champs.

I'd rather have Gesicki for 1/3.25m than Fant for 2/21m all day
Reply/Quote
B. A positive addition to the room but still need to go to the draft obviously.
Reply/Quote
So is Hudson gone? Kind of sad. He flashed some talent, but I guess he didn't have much of an overall ceiling most likely. Probably maximized his potential. A guy like Gesicki should have more potential for some splash plays in the receiving department at least.

What are the chances they move him outside on 5 wide sets?
Reply/Quote