Poll: Zack Moss Signing Grade
A
B
C
D
F
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 05-11-2024
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grade the Zack Moss Signing
Imma be honest, I don't really see Moss as an upgrade over Mixon.
And until we see RT, NT, and TE addressed, I am not very excited about the FA signings so far.
Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to Geno Stone, but I'm skeptical of his 2023 production being sustainable.

Let's look at Trevon Diggs as an example.

People went crazy about him because of his 2021 All-Pro season where he had 11 INTs and 21 PDs.
Outside of that year, he's not had more than 3 in any other season.
Trevon Diggs is a good player, but maintaining 5+ INTs a season is extremely difficult to do.

Personally, I'm setting my expectations a little lower for Stone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 10:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Imma be honest, I don't really see Moss as an upgrade over Mixon.
And until we see RT, NT, and TE addressed, I am not very excited about the FA signings so far.
Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to Geno Stone, but I'm skeptical of his 2023 production being sustainable.

Let's look at Trevon Diggs as an example.

People went crazy about him because of his 2021 All-Pro season where he had 11 INTs and 21 PDs.
Outside of that year, he's not had more than 3 in any other season.
Trevon Diggs is a good player, but maintaining 5+ INTs a season is extremely difficult to do.

Personally, I'm setting my expectations a little lower for Stone.

All of the analytics and advanced metrics, not just the "fan stats", point to these guys being quality players. 

Moss will be in a committee with Chase Brown who will 100% see more snaps than last year. The running back room with those two guys this year compared to last year is markedly better. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 01:00 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I agree with Essex. C.

I totally understand letting Mixon go, was a bit surprised at this pickup but as you stated, using the extra $$ in other areas is a positive and Moss had success some as a starter but still feel we need a bit of a punisher between tackles with the lack of a solid line blocking
Reply/Quote
It is hard for me to Grade the Zack Moss signing without knowing the Bengals intent behind it.

Does the Moss signing signal that one of the better higher round Rookie backs will be targeted ?

-or-

Do the Bengals Plan to roll more with Zack Moss & Chase Brown while maybe adding a mid to lower

round Rookie in the Draft ?

*It seems to leave either of the above options open, so I will go with a solid B Grade right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 11:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: All of the analytics and advanced metrics, not just the "fan stats", point to these guys being quality players. 

Moss will be in a committee with Chase Brown who will 100% see more snaps than last year. The running back room with those two guys this year compared to last year is markedly better. 

Can you provide your source on the analytics?
PFF rated Mixon as the better rusher last year over Moss, both as a rusher and receiver.
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/joe-mixon/11803
https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/zack-moss/40341

It's not that I don't believe you, I just haven't seen what you're talking about, so I'd like to see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 11:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: All of the analytics and advanced metrics, not just the "fan stats", point to these guys being quality players. 

I don;t know about idea of markedly better.. Brown is a 2 year that has some nice moments especially against Jacksonville and Indy, but regressed rest of season... Moss upgrades us in blocking but not catching. Understand the move but RB position still a weak and questionable area..
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 11:41 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t know about idea of markedly better.. Brown is a 2 year that has some nice moments especially against Jacksonville and Indy, but regressed rest of season... Moss upgrades us in blocking but not catching.  Understand the move but RB position still a weak and questionable area..

If they're going to go true RBBC, would it be worth adding CEH on the cheap?
Burrow and Chase have the LSU connection with him, and he can be that 3rd down type of RB.
Outside of the NE game last year, CEH rated pretty well as a pass blocker too. And we know he can catch.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 03:05 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gave it an A. Didn't want to see Mixon go. But they bit the bullet and made a tough choice, and I think it worked out well. They added the guy who was amongst the league's leading rushers for the first third of last year when he was given an opportunity to carry the load.

They obviously trust Trayveon. We saw Brown show he might be a star. And Evans still has reason$ to be motivated.

I think adding Moss allows them to try and "stick to their board" and not reach for a RB during the draft. And if they miss on one all together. Then I think we are still in fine shape.

Brown show he might be a star? Lol come on...he has 179 yards at 4.1 YPC 0 rushing TDs and he had one long screen pass for a score...let's calm down a bit huh?
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 09:28 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Moss likely won't be lighting it up in the fantasy leagues, but I do anticipate efficient production in RBBC.

Right

That's what I'm hoping for. I doubt Moss is going to shove Walter Payton aside in the record books?? But if he can do better in pass pro (a fire hydrant could prolly do better) and be decent in YPA with 10-15 touches a game.

I'm good ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right

That's what I'm hoping for. I doubt Moss is going to shove Walter Payton aside in the record books?? But if he can do better in pass pro (a fire hydrant could prolly do better) and be decent in YPA with 10-15 touches a game.

I'm good ThumbsUp

The dude is stout, 5'9" 223#.  I'm hoping that it translates into him laying the wood to a few LBs and Safeties downfield, resulting in a few more big gainers for Jamarr Chase.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
So Moss was a career backup that shined last year when JT was out.

Are we getting that version of him that was a Top 5 back? Probably not.

Hopefully he's better than a guy that needs in a running back rotation.

Our offense is going to be totally different. Pretty crazy.
Reply/Quote
Brown seems to be way above average at Moss's weaknesses, and Moss seems to be way above average at Brown's weaknesses. I'm happy with the move, especially since we get something in return for Mixon and aren't just letting him go.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2024, 12:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: Moss in Mixon out. How do you grade the signing?

Solid B for a solid RB. Zack Moss is good in short yardage, in pass protection, as a pass catcher, he can do it all. He had a couple breakout
games last year when JT was out and was looking to take the starting job. This is saying something with the talent that JT is. Trading Mixon
and getting something out of it was the topper.

Moss is harder to tackle than Mixon, we got better at RB with this move and we got cheaper and younger. Let's add a RB in the Draft and 
we could be so much better at RB this year. Cool
Reply/Quote
I dont know much about Moss,,, hopefully this is not like our TE Hunt being let go and ehem... not having a TE to fill in the void as an equal or better player...
Reply/Quote