Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McConnell: I'd fill a SCOTUS vacancy during 2020 election
(05-29-2019, 03:20 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: It's considered a hate crime now at least in Britain.

A 38-year-old British mother was arrested in front of her children and locked up for seven hours after referring to a transgender woman as a man online.

https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/02/british-woman-arrested-for-misgendering-trans-activist-on-social-media/

The case is the latest where police have been accused of being heavy-handed in dealing with people who go online to debate gender issues.

https://spectator.us/misgendering-child-british-journalist/
misgendering’? One British journalist is about to find out

Here we go again. Another woman in Britain is facing a police investigation – and potentially, a jail sentence – because she wrote things online about sex, gender and a person who changed gender.

...I stand corrected.
Amazing. I am very much against that development and now feel a bit bad about my stance.

Amongst further research (your sources are biased outlets) the journalist case is not that clear-cut and might really be about other things... which doesn't take away from my bewilderment that police actually arrested people for misgendering.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2019, 03:27 PM)hollodero Wrote: ...I stand corrected.
Amazing. I am very much against that development and now feel a bit bad about my stance.

Amongst further research (yyour sources are biased) the second hase is not that clear-cut and might really be about other things... which doesn't take away from my bewilderment that police actually arrested people for misgendering.

Yea, I don't know British news bias and there was multiple sources for the same stories, so I just chose one.

But all from 2019, so you are not too outdated Tongue

Even some teachers getting disciplined/released.

EDIT: and staying on topic, I despise Mitch and anyone that intentionally blocks bills. Let the floor vote and be done with it. Issue with this is then they'd have to be transparent about how they voted.
(05-29-2019, 12:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd say both, but I also think the locations in this country in which we reside affect this perception.

Only to a degree.

There's a lot of pulpit governing in the Bluegrass on both sides. The last town I worked in, churches outnumbered restaurants 3-1. The town I live in is a bit more urban... we've got two churches to every one restaurant. So that explains a lot of it. But not all.

Nearly every week over the last several years, somebody would email or call trying to influence stories. Sometimes it's 'don't run a story about my husband beating me and getting the cops called on him' or it's 'you need to do a story because the u10 soccer coach is gay.' There's nothing partisan in that, but it was overwhelmingly the right (or at least people asking for stories from that side) making those requests for stories or to squelch stories.

I think overall it's just the mindset of the party, and that's not confined to one state or the other. For a while now the GOP has been using 'safety and security concerns' to prohibit free speech and exercising religion. You've got no shortage of Republican lawmakers advocating for scrapping a free press because they say not nice things about them.

I don't like the common left view of trying to prohibit terms, but I don't see some hairy legged ethics professor at a rally asking for a more gender neutral phrase as the same kind of problem as lawmakers in office trying to restrict religious rights or verbally attacking reporters.
(05-29-2019, 01:58 PM)hollodero Wrote: No one gets jailed in Europe for misgendering someone.

If I'm wrong, I'd need proof :)

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/2019/february/uk-mom-arrested-for-calling-transgender-activist-a-man-nbsp
(05-29-2019, 10:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/2019/february/uk-mom-arrested-for-calling-transgender-activist-a-man-nbsp

Quote:There is no right to free speech in the UK.

A- I honestly didn't know that.
And, B- 
Quote:Court documents obtained by the paper on Sunday reveal that Scottow is accused of a "campaign of targeted harassment" Hayden. 

The papers claim that Scottow used two separate accounts to engage in a "toxic" Twitter debate over transgenderism and tweeted "defamatory" messages about Hayden.
Scottow denied harassing Hayden and said she has the "genuine and reasonable belief" that a human "cannot, practically speaking, change sex."

On the surface it seems less of a freedom of speech issue and more of a 'two people bitching about each other' issue.
(05-29-2019, 10:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/cwn/2019/february/uk-mom-arrested-for-calling-transgender-activist-a-man-nbsp

Mike already set me straight. I'm sorry for doubting your words and stand corrected. Also, I do not like that.

(05-30-2019, 02:21 AM)Benton Wrote: A- I honestly didn't know that.
And, B- 

On the surface it seems less of a freedom of speech issue and more of a 'two people bitching about each other' issue.

As soon as the police gets involved and an arrest follows, I deem it a freedom issue. I guess the UK calls it "freedom of expression", which should not mean something that different.

I hoped it would be about something else entirely, like organized harassment or slander, but that does not seem to be the case.
(05-30-2019, 02:21 AM)Benton Wrote: A- I honestly didn't know that.
And, B- 

There's some interesting features on Twitter called black and ignore.  Also, an argument is still speech.  But your first point merely illustrates how illiberal much of Europe is while it looks down it's nose at the US.

(05-30-2019, 03:05 AM)hollodero Wrote: Mike already set me straight. I'm sorry for doubting your words and stand corrected. Also, I do not like that.

Yeah, I saw that after I responded.  Long day at work.  Unfortunately it's merely the tip of the iceberg for the UK.

Quote:As soon as the police gets involved and an arrest follows, I deem it a freedom issue. I guess the UK calls it "freedom of expression", which should not mean something that different.

I hoped it would be about something else entirely, like organized harassment or slander, but that does not seem to be the case.

This kind of think happens all the time in the UK.  They encourage people to report "hate incidents", i.e. incidents in which someone was hateful but not criminally so.  Honestly, and believe me when I tell you I loved the time I lived in Europe and still have friends who live there, I worry about the state of personal freedom on much of that continent.  I am thankful that the Framers had the foresight to put constitutional protections on personal freedom in this country so we don't, legally, ever suffer under such inane laws.