Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grateful Dead
Anyone going to Chicago for the shows? July 3,4 and 5 at Soldier Field. I scored some Executive suite seats and seats in section 105. I have seen many tickets being sold upwards of $5000/night. When they announced these shows, hotels sold out within a day so I turned to the boat harbor next to the field. Found someone to rent me their cabin cruiser for 4 nights. I won't have to drive or pay to park ($70) the whole weekend. What could be better than a 4th of July Fireworks show during A G.D. Song?
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 09:58 AM)Carp Wrote: Anyone going to Chicago for the shows? July 3,4 and 5 at Soldier Field. I scored some Executive suite seats and seats in section 105.  I have seen many tickets being sold upwards of $5000/night. When they announced these shows, hotels sold out within a day so I turned to the boat harbor next to the field. Found someone to rent me their cabin cruiser for 4 nights. I won't have to drive or pay to park ($70)  the whole weekend. What could be better than a 4th of July Fireworks show during A G.D. Song?

Tried, couldn't score any tickets in my budget (we were already going to the beach with the kids the following month), so I've purchased the PPV, and I'm gonna project it onto the end of my house with an LCD projector.  During the trial run, we managed to get an 18' x 18' screen on the wall.....hooked up to surround sound.  Should be the real deal.....although not as good as being there, obviously.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Have not seen the current version of the Dead, but I saw them about a dozen times between '84 and '94.

Last time I saw them was in the fall of '94 in Denver. This was just a few moinths before Jerry died. the first set was a complete train wreck. They sounded like an out of tune high school band and they were screwing up the lyrics of songs they had been performing for 20 years. At the break my buddy who had seen them almost 100 times said it was the end. He said they were finished as a touring band. Then they came out for the second set and absolutely crushed it. It was like a totally different band.

I was never the type of Deadhead who knew all the lyrics to all the songs. And I rarely listened to them except at live shows and at parties my friends would throw. But I had some of the greatest times of my life at dead shows. They were the ultimate party band. I would dance myself into a mystical trance and their music was just perfect for the mood.
Reply/Quote
This thread smells of patchouli.... Wink
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The line up includes Trey Anastasio from Phish. I also saw Phish live several times. They were very much like the dead except I felt they were better musicians.

Also includes keyboardist Bruce Hornsby who toured with the original Dead for a while, and Jeff Cheminti who I saw play with Les Claypool (from Primus) in a band called Oysterhead. Claypool is one of the best musicians I have ever seen and Cheminti is brilliant. That was a great show.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 01:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: Tried, couldn't score any tickets in my budget (we were already going to the beach with the kids the following month), so I've purchased the PPV, and I'm gonna project it onto the end of my house with an LCD projector.  During the trial run, we managed to get an 18' x 18' screen on the wall.....hooked up to surround sound.  Should be the real deal.....although not as good as being there, obviously.

This is definitely the next best thing to going. We streamed Santa Clara shows and they just sound so on. Enjoy your night(s).
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Have not seen the current version of the Dead, but I saw them about a dozen times between '84 and '94.

Last time I saw them was in the fall of '94 in Denver.  This was just a few moinths before Jerry died.  the first set was a complete train wreck.  They sounded like an out of tune high school band and they were screwing up the lyrics of songs they had been performing for 20 years.  At the break my buddy who had seen them almost 100 times said it was the end.  He said they were finished as a touring band.  Then they came out for the second set and crushed it.

I was never  the type of Deadhead who knew all the lyrics to all the songs.  And I rarely listened to them except at live shows and at parties my friends would throw.  But I had some of the greatest times of my life at dead shows.  They were the ultimate party band.  I would dance myself into a mystical trance and their music was just perfect for the mood.

Haha, we were at the last few Denver shows as well and they did leave something to be desired there in 94. It seemed as if when someone or something was not clicking right with the band, it was made up for in so many other ways. The crowd, the lots and even the security had a way of smoothing out the wrinkles on a bad night. Then the band would come back the next set/night or city and they would simply drop musical bombs on the crowd till everyone in the building was having the time of their lives.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:09 PM)jason Wrote: This thread smells of patchouli.... Wink

Something has gotta cover it up ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The line up includes Trey Anastasio from Phish.  I also saw Phish live several times.  They were very much like the dead except I felt they were better musicians.

Also includes keyboardist Bruce Hornsby who toured with the original Dead for a while, and Jeff Cheminti who I saw play with Les Claypool (from Primus) in a band called Oysterhead.  Claypool is one of the best musicians I have ever seen and Cheminti is brilliant.  That was a great show.

Trey has handled the job with style, grace and total respect. He has definitely recruited some more old timer heads that aren't easily swayed. Bruce is always a consummate professional and has honestly been the bands unsung hero these last 2 shows in Santa Clara. I hope for the pay-per-viewers sakes that the stream feed does a better job at picking up Bruce and Jeff's keys as they seemed kind of tuned down on the sound board. Cheminti deserves more solo time and I think he will get it in Chicago.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2015, 07:32 PM)Carp Wrote: This is definitely the next best thing to going. We streamed Santa Clara shows and they just sound so on. Enjoy your night(s).

Thank you, and you too. I was just going to move my 65" to the garage/mancave, but then my buddy intervened with the LCD projector idea......I was sold.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote