Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great American Outdoors Act
I talked about this before the reboot, so I wanted to update things. The bill passed the House, which means it now heads to Trump's desk. Now, I won't go so far as Ivanka to compare Trump to TR (after all, he had to be convinced of it while TR would have been the one to suggest it), but if he ends up signing it I will applaud it.

Of course, as the House was passing the bill his administration was laying the groundwork to approve a potentially devastating mine in Alaska and has been chipping away at all sorts of environmental regulations. So one step forward after hundreds of steps back doesn't do much, but it is something.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 01:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I talked about this before the reboot, so I wanted to update things. The bill passed the House, which means it now heads to Trump's desk. Now, I won't go so far as Ivanka to compare Trump to TR (after all, he had to be convinced of it while TR would have been the one to suggest it), but if he ends up signing it I will applaud it.

Of course, as the House was passing the bill his administration was laying the groundwork to approve a potentially devastating mine in Alaska and has been chipping away at all sorts of environmental regulations. So one step forward after hundreds of steps back doesn't do much, but it is something.

As an overview who proposed this and did it pass with a large bipartisan approval?  I honestly don't remember.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 01:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: As an overview who proposed this and did it pass with a large bipartisan approval?  I honestly don't remember.

It was proposed last year by a Democrat in the House, but it has had bipartisan support from the start. This year, two Republican champions of the legislation in the Senate revived it and attached it to different legislation with some revisions and got Trump to agree to it. In both the House and Senate it has strong bipartisan agreement.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2020, 08:21 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It was proposed last year by a Democrat in the House, but it has had bipartisan support from the start. This year, two Republican champions of the legislation in the Senate revived it and attached it to different legislation with some revisions and got Trump to agree to it. In both the House and Senate it has strong bipartisan agreement.

Good to know.  Thanks.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote