Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Article on The Ringer about Dalton and the Bengals
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3/20896664/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-litmus-test

Nothing really new to us, but I think the author hits the nail on the head. One line summary: Dalton is a perfectly average NFL QB, but he can't carry a team without an offensive line, receivers, or a run game.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 01:15 PM)shanebo Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3/20896664/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-litmus-test

Nothing really new to us, but I think the author hits the nail on the head.  One line summary:  Dalton is a perfectly average NFL QB, but he can't carry a team without an offensive line, receivers, or a run game.

If Dalton were traded to a good team, he would probably succeed but Dalton will not carry the Bengals to a championship.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The term "The Dalton Line" was coined years ago and it's a real thing. Perhaps he will gain fame such as Mario Mendoza
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Yup, Dalton is probably at the low end of the tier that Flacco and Eli are in.

Could Dalton get a good team and coach to a superbowl win? Probably.

Could Dalton put a team on his back a la Rodgers or Brees and win it all? Doubtful.

The Dalton era is more than likely coming to an end. Next year we'll see if Finley is the guy that Taylor wants or if we take a QB in the top 5.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, it remains to be seen if ANY QB can come into a MB owned team and win.

For all we know, we would have drafted Mahomes and ruined him.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, it remains to be seen if ANY QB can come into a MB owned team and win.

For all we know, we would have drafted Mahomes and ruined him.

I think Palmer was successful and if not for the freak injury the Bengals win that game.  But yes, Mike Brown put Palmer behind a suspect O-Line.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Palmer was successful and if not for the freak injury the Bengals win that game.  But yes, Mike Brown put Palmer behind a suspect O-Line.  

Actually Palmer had a pretty decent Oline his first few years (his best years... coincidence? I think not). He had no slouches with Braham, Willie, and Bobbie. But once injuries and retirement forced them to make changes, the front office dropped the ball (besides whitworth, of course).
Reply/Quote
Carry a team? I'm surprised a plane can carry all this dead weight.

Without receivers, O-line and running game sounds like a defense, not an offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:20 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Actually Palmer had a pretty decent Oline his first few years (his best years... coincidence? I think not). He had no slouches with Braham, Willie, and Bobbie. But once injuries and retirement forced them to make changes, the front office dropped the ball (besides whitworth, of course).

ah, the Braham legend continues...will the Bengals find another Center like Braham?  The sad truth is the Bengals have addressed the O-line with several drafted players that just didn't have talent.  Williams and Glenn are hurt.  Redmond was suspended.  3 Bengals decide to retire.   Cry
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Palmer was successful and if not for the freak injury the Bengals win that game.  But yes, Mike Brown put Palmer behind a suspect O-Line.  

The Bengals had a GREAT offense and a bad defense the year he got hurt. Who knows.

But, Palmer ultimately was unhappy with the way things were ran here and wanted out. So, yes...that's what happens to a franchise QB here...IF Palmer is considered one.
Reply/Quote
Yes, so if your QB has a very low chance of winning a Super Bowl ring, why is he employed on your team? We need our QB to not need everything else to go right in order for him to win a ring.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 03:11 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yes, so if your QB has a very low chance of winning a Super Bowl ring, why is he employed on your team? We need our QB to not need everything else to go right in order for him to win a ring.

Right. That sums up Dalton. You need a loaded offense from a talent perspective around him, and then he becomes the limitation of why you don't win a playoff game.

So why continue to roll with that?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 01:15 PM)shanebo Wrote: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/3/20896664/andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals-quarterback-litmus-test

Nothing really new to us, but I think the author hits the nail on the head.  One line summary:  Dalton is a perfectly average NFL QB, but he can't carry a team without an offensive line, receivers, or a run game.

That is an amazingly great, accurate, maddening, pathetic and sad article all rolled into one. And it's about the one and only franchise that i care about even a little in the NFL.  Mellow

The one thing it does do is point a finger squarely on the one reason they have been this maddening, pathetic and sad, as well as great at times (very few). 

Mike...freaking...Brown

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 02:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Could Dalton put a team on his back a la Rodgers or Brees and win it all? Doubtful.

It is not in doubt.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 01:18 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Dalton were traded to a good team, he would probably succeed but Dalton will not carry the Bengals to a championship.  

not this roster  Dalton will be lucky to survive the season
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 03:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That is an amazingly great, accurate, maddening, pathetic and sad article all rolled into one. And it's about the one and only franchise that i care about even a little in the NFL.  Mellow

The one thing it does do is point a finger squarely on the one reason they have been this maddening, pathetic and sad, as well as great at times (very few). 

Mike...freaking...Brown

while its easy to still blame everything on mike brown

This season I believe its the Katie Troy and Tobin brain trust that produced this lovely product we are seeing weeking.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: while its easy to still blame everything on mike brown

This season I believe its the Katie Troy and Tobin brain trust that produced this lovely product we are seeing weeking.

It's honestly hard to really know. We do know that Troy was very defensive of the Hart signing.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 04:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: not this roster  Dalton will be lucky to survive the season

It is frighteningly similar to what the organization did to Palmer.  Instead of hurting Dalton's feelings on not extending his contract, the Front Office  allows Dalton to get beat-up so he leaves the organization...

Hmm

Makes me wonder, if the Front Office is doing this tactic to the Bengal fan base was well.... Nervous
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 03:11 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Yes, so if your QB has a very low chance of winning a Super Bowl ring, why is he employed on your team? We need our QB to not need everything else to go right in order for him to win a ring.

(10-03-2019, 03:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Right. That sums up Dalton. You need a loaded offense from a talent perspective around him, and then he becomes the limitation of why you don't win a playoff game.

So why continue to roll with that?

It is almost impossible to find a QB who can win with no talent around him.  Aaron Rodgers had a losing record over the last two seasons.  

Trying to build a team by finding a QB who does not need talent to win is like investing for retirement by buying lottery tickets.  
Reply/Quote

I think that's part of the issue -- there are only (maybe) 10-12 QBs who can strap a team on their back and win without help at any given point in time, but there are 32 NFL teams.  Rest of the teams have average QBs like Dalton, or below average QBs.  The challenge for every team is to identify a difference maker early on and select him in the draft, then develop him into a star without ruining him or allowing him to get hurt.  We weren't wrong to draft Dalton or to stick with him post-2015, but we were wrong (I think) to let his Oline (Whit/Zeitler) and proven WRs (Jones/Sanu) leave, and promoting, signing, or drafting crap to replace them.
Reply/Quote