Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great Burrow Article
On the Ringer. Interviewed both Burrow and Callahan, some very good insights.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/18/22630102/joe-burrow-bengals-nfl-2021-injury-recovery

Some highlights:

Our boy worked his butt off to rehab his injury and get back on the field in top form - He brought his trainer with him on vacation. He was deeply serious. “Every workout to me was life or death,” Burrow said. “Go in there, no matter what you’re feeling. Knee hurts, body hurts, mind not up to it—you’ve got to get the work done. If you don’t get the work done, it’s not going to show up on the field. And I want it to show up on the field.”

He's not worried about the slow start to TC - “It was more so just getting the feeling back in the pocket. I’ve always been pretty good at feeling the space in the pocket and going where I need to and feeling where the defenders are. And at the beginning of camp, it was kind of just a wall of people,” Burrow said. “I couldn’t really feel who was who, where the pressure was coming from. Then, at the end of last week, it just kind of clicked for me. And now I’m playing well again, back to my old self.”

They went Chase over Sewell to play to Burrow's strenths - Cincinnati coaches stress that Burrow has elite vision and processing ability, so getting as many talented pass catchers out into routes is the key. “I like having as many routes available to me as possible. Five people out in the route just to stress the defense. Because what I’m good at is feeling space, feeling defenders, feeling where they’re supposed to go, feeling the zones that open up behind them,” Burrow explained. “So when there’s only one or two guys out in the routes, that’s not where I’m at my best.”
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed the entirety of the article. Thanks for posting.
Reply/Quote
Great stuff, Shanebo. Thanks. I found that last part particularly interesting. It’s pretty much the counter to the “but we already have 2 good WR’s” crowd. Play to Burrow’s strengths. That’s how we’re going to get where we want to go.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 01:17 PM)shanebo Wrote: And at the beginning of camp, it was kind of just a wall of people,” Burrow said.  

It's called a pocket. Burrow had forgot the feeling. I think he's fine, and if he is protected, he'll shine.

Nice find.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Just read the whole thing, and that is a fantastic interview.

The thing that jumped out at me was Burrow's accuracy and ability out of the empty set. Wow.
Reply/Quote
So, is everyone still miffed at Zac for running a lot of empty sets, or no? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: So, is everyone still miffed at Zac for running a lot of empty sets, or no? Ninja

I, personally, do not understand all the concepts of offenses and defenses. I, however, admit this and trust the coaches to know more than I do.
Reply/Quote
That is a great Burrow article. Loved hearing about the amount of control Burrow is going to have over the Offense. Using the
Levels concept is perfect for him as he is great at throwing into space and throwing to where the Defender isn't. Thought he
was the best at this of any college QB in 2019. Keep adapting this type of scheme to keep Burrow comfortable I think is the
way to go.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Great stuff, Shanebo. Thanks. I found that last part particularly interesting. It’s pretty much the counter to the “but we already have 2 good WR’s” crowd. Play to Burrow’s strengths. That’s how we’re going to get where we want to go.

Dead on.  And now we are going to use Mixon more in the receiving game.  And we have a healthy Uzo and Moss, who was looking very good thus far in one-on-one matchups against LBs.  

It isn't just the big three of Chase, Higgins, and Boyd, but the Fab Five that includes Mixon and Uzo.  

Everyone is in awe of what Justin Jefferson did at Minnesota, and it was damn impressive, averaging almost 100 yards per game in his rookie season.  However, it was Chase that was the straw that stirred the drink at LSU.  He wouldn't get as many targets, but he would open up things underneath, and his big plays were so effective that DBs played off of him allowing the occasional slant or screen.  

I expect Boyd and Higgins to likely have more receptions, but Chase will probably have the most yardage from big plays.  

Damn, I can't wait to see them week 1.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 05:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote:  I, personally, do not understand all the concepts of offenses and defenses. I, however, admit this and trust the coaches to know more than I do.

This is where I am at! When I was in the Middle East, I had to develop strategies and one thing I learned was, they usually don't make sense to people not involved in the planning process. You also gotta have the right people to execute and carry out that strategy.
Reply/Quote