Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great News! (Bernard ready for camp)
Bernard being able to participate in camp could mean the difference between him being an important part of the offense, and spending half the year on PUP. Just hope he's truly ready, and not rushing things too soon.

[url=https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/24/16019556/giovani-bernard-cleared-start-bengals-training-camp]https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/24/16019556/giovani-bernard-cleared-start-bengals-training-camp

Sorry, no quote. I'm in a bit of a hurry.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bernard being able to participate in camp could mean the difference between him being an important part of the offense, and spending half the year on PUP.  Just hope he's truly ready, and not rushing things too soon.

[url=https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/24/16019556/giovani-bernard-cleared-start-bengals-training-camp]https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/7/24/16019556/giovani-bernard-cleared-start-bengals-training-camp

Sorry, no quote.  I'm in a bit of a hurry.

Definitely good news, but I'm keeping my expectations low for him. Usually takes quite a while for guys to get back to where they were before the injury, even after they are back on the field 
Reply/Quote
I'll wait to see if he's active for Week 1.

We did this song-and-dance with Eifert last year, where he was "expected to not miss any games". Then Week 7 comes around and he finally plays in what, like 2-3 snaps?

Maybe he Adrian Petersons the shit out of his knee and comes back as a beast. Who knows. I'm just going to wait and see.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Gio just hasn't been the same since the Shazier hit from i have seen. Just isn't hitting the holes like he used to and
seems hesitant just like Hill. I am expecting Mixon to win out the starting job even as a rookie with his ability to pick
up the blitz and with his vision and hands.

One thing Gio has done well though is pick up the blitz unlike Hill.

Loved Gio before that Shazier hit, hope he gets back to that RB.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 01:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bernard being able to participate in camp could mean the difference between him being an important part of the offense, and spending half the year on PUP.  Just hope he's truly ready, and not rushing things too soon.

Sorry, no quote.  I'm in a bit of a hurry.

I hope they aren't rushing him either. The risk isn't worh the reward when we still have Hill and Mixon to man the ship until Gio gets 100%.

It just seems really soon. Maybe it's just me.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 03:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gio just hasn't been the same since the Shazier hit from i have seen. Just isn't hitting the holes like he used to and
seems hesitant just like Hill. I am expecting Mixon to win out the starting job even as a rookie with his ability to pick
up the blitz and with his vision and hands.

One thing Gio has done well though is pick up the blitz unlike Hill.

Loved Gio before that Shazier hit, hope he gets back to that RB.

Yes, this team is going to need good blocking from the backfield.  Hopefully Hewitt is back to full strength, and ready to log some serious PT.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 02:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'll wait to see if he's active for Week 1.

We did this song-and-dance with Eifert last year, where he was "expected to not miss any games". Then Week 7 comes around and he finally plays in what, like 2-3 snaps?

Maybe he Adrian Petersons the shit out of his knee and comes back as a beast. Who knows. I'm just going to wait and see.

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on the pessimism, until things begin to unravel.  Until then, we're winning the Superbowl!!!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, this team is going to need good blocking from the backfield.  Hopefully Hewitt is back to full strength, and ready to log some serious PT.

Good point on Hewitt Sunset, last year when we used him we ran the ball decent.

Then we would take him out and suck. This frustrated me big time.

Why pay the man and then make him sit on the bench even though he is doing a great job?
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point on Hewitt Sunset, last year when we used him we ran the ball decent.

Why pay the man and then make him sit on the bench even though he is doing a great job?

It wasn't publicized much, but Hewitt was injured last year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Hoping they give Gio some looks as a returner. I've been waiting on that for years.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Great news ! Hopefully he's back sooner rather than later, as long as he's truly ready. My confidence in 2.5 yard Jeremy is all but broken. It's not gonna take a lot of that same performance for me to be ready to pull the plug. What I'm afraid of is Marvin and company won't be ready though.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 06:23 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Hoping they give Gio some looks as a returner. I've been waiting on that for years.

Well, he wasn't exactly "prolific" as a returner in college, only 16 punt ret. on record.  However that 16+ yd/ret with a TD is worth taking a shot on.  The thing about being a return man is, it's something that you really have to WANT to do.  The way I see it, if he really wanted to return kicks or punts for the Bengals, he would have tried it by now.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 06:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It wasn't publicized much, but Hewitt was injured last year.

Well that makes some sense.

Hope he is 100% this year, we seem to run much better behind him and in the Bronco game early when he was
in we just moved them at will early on and then went away from the run and ended up losing the game to their
first time starting QB.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 06:23 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Hoping they give Gio some looks as a returner. I've been waiting on that for years.

Why would you want Gio returning when we have Erickson and Jones.... not to mention, if he makes the cut, which granted is doubtful, Boom Williams. Risking Gio for little return on the risk....
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2017, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good point on Hewitt Sunset, last year when we used him we ran the ball decent.

He, like Kroft, Uzomah, and Eifert, all had significant injuries last season that they were trying to play through.  Their effectiveness was greatly impacted and I completely expect Hewitt to become a key part of the offense in 2017-18.

I love the idea of starting in the backfield, and having him roll out and catch passes.  He has receiving skills unlike almost any fullback in the league.  I almost wonder if Zampese just didn't have many plays for him because he hadn't had someone of his skill set before.  

I have a feeling we will see a lot more of two TE sets with Hewitt moving from the backfield to the LOS as a receiver and back without changing personnel.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He, like Kroft, Uzomah, and Eifert, all had significant injuries last season that they were trying to play through.  Their effectiveness was greatly impacted and I completely expect Hewitt to become a key part of the offense in 2017-18.

I love the idea of starting in the backfield, and having him roll out and catch passes.  He has receiving skills unlike almost any fullback in the league.  I almost wonder if Zampese just didn't have many plays for him because he hadn't had someone of his skill set before.  

I have a feeling we will see a lot more of two TE sets with Hewitt moving from the backfield to the LOS as a receiver and back without changing personnel.  

Seems to me that Hewitt would automatically be the safety outlet on any play that has him in the formation.  But yes, a few plays specifically designed to get Hewitt the ball, would be nice.  Like the seldom used middle screen, for example.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Good news. I was not expecting him back until week 6 or so
Reply/Quote
I hope he's healthy enough to play week 1 Gio and Mixon together could be something special to watch, the new and improved Thunder and Lightning !! [Image: eek.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 08:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Why would you want Gio returning when we have Erickson and Jones.... not to mention, if he makes the cut, which granted is doubtful, Boom Williams. Risking Gio for little return on the risk....

Don't forget Brandon Wilson either who was one hell of a returner at Houston.

(07-26-2017, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He, like Kroft, Uzomah, and Eifert, all had significant injuries last season that they were trying to play through.  Their effectiveness was greatly impacted and I completely expect Hewitt to become a key part of the offense in 2017-18.

We were really decimated by injuries at the TE position last year weren't we?

Should help immensely having atleast a few of these guys healthy.

Really like Hewitt at H-back man the guy is versatile and can hurt teams both blocking and catching the ball.

With Eifert back and Uzi and Kroft we have some major talent.

Kroft was good as a rookie, you could definately see the injury lingered with him.

Didn't know Uzomah was injured last year.

(07-26-2017, 12:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems to me that Hewitt would automatically be the safety outlet on any play that has him in the formation.  But yes, a few plays specifically designed to get Hewitt the ball, would be nice.  Like the seldom used middle screen, for example.

The TE screen always seems to just get first downs and more. Need to see this play much more often.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 01:22 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: I hope he's healthy enough to play week 1    Gio and Mixon together could be something special to watch, the new and improved Thunder and Lightning !!  [Image: eek.gif]

Much more unpredictable than Gio and Hill for sure and Mixon has ten times the vision that Hill has.

If Gio is back to his old self this could be a great RB combo.
Reply/Quote