Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great News! (Bernard ready for camp)
(07-26-2017, 01:22 PM)Butchie Tiger Wrote: I hope he's healthy enough to play week 1    Gio and Mixon together could be something special to watch, the new and improved Thunder and Lightning !!  [Image: eek.gif]

OK this has noting to do with your post - though I get psyched about the thunder and lightning for sure.

But I LOVE the reverse colored Bengals helmet, I LOVED the old pumpkin head helmet and I LOVED the idea of the silver and black helmet for the color rush uniforms.

If the University of Oregon can afford a zillion helmets why can't the NFL?

Such kill joys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 12:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems to me that Hewitt would automatically be the safety outlet on any play that has him in the formation.  But yes, a few plays specifically designed to get Hewitt the ball, would be nice.  Like the seldom used middle screen, for example.

How I would love to make it into the playoffs and rip the Patriots up with TE play - in the 2nd half.  What a glorious payback that would be!
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's wait and see how he adjusts to the speed of the pro game, before we go anointing him the next Walter Payton..  For the record, if you look back to Hill's rookie season, when he was breaking all those long runs for TDs, he appeared to have great vision.  Everyone started thinking that he was going to be the next Corey Dillon.  What changed?  He now gets caught dancing in the backfield, and can't seem to put one foot in front of the other, without tripping himself up.

If Hill would just go back to his instinctive style of hitting the hole like a rocket, keeping his eyes focused down field, he would do much better.  Perhaps I'm wrong, though.  Maybe he took too many hard shots in '15, and lost his nerve..

My guess is it is a combination of things.  But I believe Hill also was injured last year.  It's possible that Hill could surprise a bunch of people - which would be great.  Depth at that position is definitely critical. 
Reply/Quote
Seems pretty quick to be back from a torn ACL. Was Gio's a complete tear? Is there a difference in recovery time between full and partial tears?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 01:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whatev yourself. Go ahead and do what you want. I am telling you if this team stays healthy it is going to be a very
exciting season on both sides of the ball. This Defense is loaded, i have been calling for getting rid of Peko and
Maualuga for years and replacing them with players that are somewhat versatile.

I wouldn't of replaced them with anyone different than Billings and Minter.

Hard for me to ever see us winning a Playoff game with Marv at the helm but i am not going to be negative about
the season as we have been one of the best regular season teams in the league over the last 7 years.

Lighten up and enjoy some football for God sake. Whatever

I wouldn't classify my stance as negative. I'm not saying they're going to have a losing record. I'm about as light as you can get. I just don't see how you can enjoy (in the grand scheme) a Marv lead team. 

They may get back to winning and making the playoffs (that's where i'd put my money if i were to bet) but i don't see them winning a playoff game with the status quo. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

And i refuse to drool over new guys that haven't played a down in the NFL yet. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 04:18 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Seems pretty quick to be back from a torn ACL. Was Gio's a complete tear? Is there a difference in recovery time between full and partial tears?

There is a big difference between a partial and complete tear.

However, yes, Gio had a complete ACL tear. A Grade 3 tear from what I've read.

I'm surprised he's able to play right now. It's been a little over 8 months since he tore his ACL.

Saw some videos though and he looked really good. I was highly surprised and impressed.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 06:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't classify my stance as negative. I'm not saying they're going to have a losing record. I'm about as light as you can get. I just don't see how you can enjoy (in the grand scheme) a Marv lead team. 

They may get back to winning and making the playoffs (that's where i'd put my money if i were to bet) but i don't see them winning a playoff game with the status quo. 

Wash, rinse, repeat. 

And i refuse to drool over new guys that haven't played a down in the NFL yet. 

That sure don't sound about as light as you can get to me.

No hope whatsoever.

I still think a good enough team can carry a lame ass coach.
Reply/Quote
Everyone reacts a bit differently to injuries of various types. 
In the past few years I've hurt myself in the shop, things from knicking a finger with the table saw blade to dropping a sharp chisel between my thumb and finger to whacking my knee with a hatchet. 
I could have laid around hoping it stopped hurting, but I put myself right back to work as soon as I could just to reestablish movement instead of laying about watching the boob tube.. 
Everyone is a bit different. Some people have a very low pain threshold, some high. 
I have a low pain threshold, but a very high tolerance for pain medication which allows me to heal quickly, but then I end up having to struggle constantly with wanting pain meds. I know people who hate pain medication, but would much rather lay around griping about how bad it hurts..
You know..it's not something with a one size fits all remedy. 
For athletes there's a whole different incentive called getting paid millions of dollars vs us mere mortals who might make a few bucks more or may have to find a completely new way to earn a living. 
I can't really judge players dealing with pain. Trauma can really get inside someone's head to make them gunshy the next time around and some people's blood clots quick while others may bleed a long time and be nervous about blood and all that.. 
I've seen big, strong dudes just go down like little girls at the sight of their own blood and other little tiny people who can watch themselves spurt out blood like it's nothing.. Ya just never know..    
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 11:43 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I wouldn't sleep on Shreck either.  Kroft, IMO, will be in a camp battle with this kid. 

Love the optimism, but Shreck would have to put up a ridiculous preseason (or have a rash of injuries) to be anything but PS.  I seriously doubt the Bengals would think of him bumping a 3rd round pick.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 01:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Whatev yourself. Go ahead and do what you want. I am telling you if this team stays healthy it is going to be a very
exciting season on both sides of the ball. This Defense is loaded, i have been calling for getting rid of Peko and
Maualuga for years and replacing them with players that are somewhat versatile.

I wouldn't of replaced them with anyone different than Billings and Minter.

Hard for me to ever see us winning a Playoff game with Marv at the helm but i am not going to be negative about
the season as we have been one of the best regular season teams in the league over the last 7 years.

Lighten up and enjoy some football for God sake. Whatever

NO!

I am not only going to be a surely bastard, but I am going to post about it and how you guys that think they can actually win in the postseason are idiots!!!

Seriously, how much fun is that?  
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 10:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: NO!

I am not only going to be a surely bastard, but I am going to post about it and how you guys that think they can actually win in the postseason are idiots!!!

Seriously, how much fun is that?  

Not fun at all. It's much more fun to over hype every player on the roster and expect rookies to be all pro in their first year. 

Superbowlzzzzz!!!!!!1!!!111

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Just need to get over the hump in trying to win the playoffs. Just really hope they can really do so for the sake of their fans.
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 12:47 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Not fun at all. It's much more fun to over hype every player on the roster and expect rookies to be all pro in their first year. 

Superbowlzzzzz!!!!!!1!!!111

Just because I beat you to having my company car in a full vehicle wrap of Clayton Fedejelem's likeness doesn't make me someone that over-hypes every player on the roster.  

You're just jealous you didn't think of it first!

Shocked
Reply/Quote
I start wondering if one of the HB's are traded for some O line help if they all make it through the preseason healthy. I know the obvious choice would be Hill, but don't sleep on it being Gio. We basically have duplicate skill sets in Mixon and Gio, plus Gio has a decent size contract on the books. If you can resign Hill cheaply (HB Market cratered in off season), he would still be a top back up in the league. Gio could probably bring you a good, but maybe a little older, O Lineman if a teams starter goes down over the next couple week.

Not saying it is likely to happen, but realistically we can't split carries three ways and think any back will truly get into a groove.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 09:32 AM)Au165 Wrote: I start wondering if one of the HB's are traded for some O line help if they all make it through the preseason healthy. I know the obvious choice would be Hill, but don't sleep on it being Gio. We basically have duplicate skill sets in Mixon and Gio, plus Gio has a decent size contract on the books. If you can resign Hill cheaply (HB Market cratered in off season), he would still be a top back up in the league. Gio could probably bring you a good, but maybe a little older, O Lineman if a teams starter goes down over the next couple week.

Not saying it is likely to happen, but realistically we can't split carries three ways and think any back will truly get into a groove.

I think Hill would be the one traded. I don't see the team jettisoning Gio off one year after giving him an extension. We know how this team feels about dead money, and Gio would carry a $2.2 million hit. I could see us trading Hill for an OL that's on the roster bubble at the end of camp. Although, I agree that a trade is unlikely.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 04:15 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think Hill would be the one traded. I don't see the team jettisoning Gio off one year after giving him an extension. We know how this team feels about dead money, and Gio would carry a $2.2 million hit. I could see us trading Hill for an OL that's on the roster bubble at the end of camp. Although, I agree that a trade is unlikely.

That sounds like a pretty good scenario, except for on thing..

If a solid, veteran OL is on the roster bubble, why would the Bengals give up a player for him?  If he's a vet, and good, he's likely on the bubble because he costs so much more than the up and comer that is going to replace him.  Why not just wait for said vets to get cut, and hire them for less?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 09:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Just because I beat you to having my company car in a full vehicle wrap of Clayton Fedejelem's likeness doesn't make me someone that over-hypes every player on the roster.  

You're just jealous you didn't think of it first!

Shocked

Dammit!!

[Image: tenor.gif]

Reply/Quote
I like Gio and glad he's coming along, but I'm not exactly hyped about him anymore. His numbers have been underwhelming for awhile now. Not much of a runner and has lacked in the big plays category for a few years. Of course, the line could play into it. I'm anxious to see how Mixon looks. If we take 3 straight RBs in the 2nd round and none pan out, it's tough to believe it's a coincidence or bad luck.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 08:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like Gio and glad he's coming along, but I'm not exactly hyped about him anymore. His numbers have been underwhelming for awhile now. Not much of a runner and has lacked in the big plays category for a few years. Of course, the line could play into it. I'm anxious to see how Mixon looks. If we take 3 straight RBs in the 2nd round and none pan out, it's tough to believe it's a coincidence or bad luck.

Much of his drop in production is able to attributed to a few key factors.  He's a known commodity, the offense is way too predictable, and injuries (like the one to Hewitt).  Paul Alexander's focus on bringing in "finesse" players on the OL, that are only decent in Pass Pro, isn't helping matters any.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Much of his drop in production is able to attributed to a few key factors.  He's a known commodity, the offense is way too predictable, and injuries (like the one to Hewitt).  Paul Alexander's focus on bringing in "finesse" players on the OL, that are only decent in Pass Pro, isn't helping matters any.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I can't help but think Gio would be better in a place like New England or New Orleans, etc. Or in a place with a better o-line. I don't think he's quite as talented as we (including myself) thought after his rookie year, but he could be better than what we've seen the last couple.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote