Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great OLine and Clutch TE?
So one thing I noticed while watching the SB is that both teams have very good Centers, and Olines altogether and both teams have a lethal TE. Another thing I noticed is both teams have speedy WR's that can get separation fast. Is this the blueprint to be successful. Of course they both have very good defensive players also but, is it just a coincidence both teams in the SB have good lines and a TE that leads both their teams in receiving. If this is the recipe we have none of it.
Reply/Quote
A great TE really does make a huge difference. It’s no coincidence we had one of our best seasons ever the year Eifert was catching TD’s at will.

Also, the Pats Oline cost them the game. Yes they only gave up 1 sack, but it was one of the biggest sacks ever. No doubt in my mind Brady marches them down the field and scores without that strip. They also gave up a ton during the regular season. They’re not that good.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 04:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A great TE really does make a huge difference. It’s no coincidence we had one of our best seasons ever the year Eifert was catching TD’s at will.

Also, the Pats Oline cost them the game. Yes they only gave up 1 sack, but it was one of the biggest sacks ever. No doubt in my mind Brady marches them down the field and scores without that strip. They also gave up a ton during the regular season. They’re not that good.

Uhm, no dude, it was the Pats defense that cost them the game. The Eagles offense was unstoppable and in addition the Pats protected Brady decently considering the Eagles great defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 06:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Uhm, no dude, it was the Pats defense that cost them the game. The Eagles offense was unstoppable and in addition the Pats protected Brady decently considering the Eagles great defense.

Both defenses sucked. That’s why it was a record breaking Super Bowl. When the Pats needed their Oline the most they blew it. And like I said, they weren’t that good during the regular season either. Brady got sacked 35 times. Philly gave up 36. Both are middle of the pack as far as pass protection goes.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 06:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Uhm, no dude, it was the Pats defense that cost them the game. The Eagles offense was unstoppable and in addition the Pats protected Brady decently considering the Eagles great defense.

Actually, if the old saying is defense wins championships, the Jags and Vikings would have been in the Super Bowl. 

What actually happened was there were the two best offenses that beat the two best defenses, and in the big game, the offenses could not be stopped by either defense.  Philly's defense made one more play than the Pats, but both offenses were unstoppable.  500 yards passing and you lose?  Crazy.  
Reply/Quote
I am hopeful that we can sign Eifert to a prove it deal. When he's healthy, he's right up there with Gronk in terms of lethality as a TE. And, considering we never sign good outside free agents anyway, we may as well attempt to keep our good players.

Then we can go OL heavy in the draft, hopefully Ross develops and we may end up with a similarly structured team going into 2019 or so (maybe even 2018 if we have fast developing players out of the draft).
Reply/Quote
The big things that the Eagles have that the Bengals don't are
1. A aggressive and creative head coach who keeps the pressure on the other team by not playing conservative and letting up when he has a lead
2. Great offensive line with a great center and tackle
3. A play making safety in Jenkins
4. Using free agency to get better, Blount, Long, Jenkins, Smith, trading for Timmy Jernigan and Jay Ajayi ect.

I feel like the Bengals have more talent on defense than the Eagles. Atkins is similar to Cox and we have guys like Dunlap and Lawson who can rush the qb like the Eagles line can. Burfict is better than their LB's but he's often hurt or suspended, William Jackson III is probably better then all their CB's but Jenkins is way better than our safeties. We have to fix the line so are D isn't on the field all the time and also be better against the run. The Bengals should take notice of how a good center like Kelce can impact a game vs trying to resign one of the worst centers in the game in Bodine.
Reply/Quote
A great LT and center are where you start building an O-line, we have neither and apparently will continue to roll with are goobers.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:46 AM)lone bengal Wrote: The big things that the Eagles have that the Bengals don't are
1. A aggressive and creative head coach who keeps the pressure on the other team by not playing conservative and letting up when he has a lead
2. Great offensive line with a great center and tackle
3. A play making safety in Jenkins
4. Using free agency to get better, Blount, Long, Jenkins, Smith, trading for Timmy Jernigan and Jay Ajayi  ect.

I feel like the Bengals have more talent on defense than the Eagles.  Atkins is similar to Cox and we have guys like Dunlap and Lawson who can rush the qb like the Eagles line can.  Burfict is better than their LB's but he's often hurt or suspended, William Jackson III is probably better then all their CB's but Jenkins is way better than our safeties.  We have to fix the line so are D isn't on the field all the time and also be better against the run.  The Bengals should take notice of how a good center like Kelce can impact a game vs trying to resign one of the worst centers in the game in Bodine.

I wish I could rep this to infinity.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:09 AM)TKUHL Wrote: So one thing I noticed while watching the SB is that both teams have very good Centers, and Olines altogether and both teams have a lethal TE. Another thing I noticed is both teams have speedy WR's that can get separation fast. Is this the blueprint to be successful. Of course they both have very good defensive players also but, is it just a coincidence both teams in the SB have good lines and a TE that leads both their teams in receiving. If this is the recipe we have none of it.

Unfortunately, this does not align with the beliefs of Mike Brown, so won't happen in Cinci.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A great LT and center are where you start building an O-line, we have neither and apparently will continue to roll with are goobers.

Nah, Bodine is good to go......Merv said so. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:09 AM)TKUHL Wrote: So one thing I noticed while watching the SB is that both teams have very good Centers, and Olines altogether and both teams have a lethal TE. Another thing I noticed is both teams have speedy WR's that can get separation fast. Is this the blueprint to be successful. Of course they both have very good defensive players also but, is it just a coincidence both teams in the SB have good lines and a TE that leads both their teams in receiving. If this is the recipe we have none of it.

I think being good on the lines impacts the game more than a good TE. Having a stud TE helps but it’s not a must have position. The Patriots have won super bowls and playoff games without Gronk. It’s more about working the middle of the field and having a good second scoring threat weather than comes from TE or a number two receiver, or a slot receiver who can work the middle of the field. For example if Ross played like the number 9 pick , it would open up the offense for Green , we wouldn’t miss Eifert as much and Kroft could just be a compliment piece. But the line makes the difference, philly could run the ball and use play action effectively, plus the line could give Foles time to throw. All things the Bengals can’t do.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:27 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I think being good on the lines impacts the game more than a good TE. Having a stud TE helps but it’s not a most have position. The Patriots have won super bowls and playoff games without Gronk.  It’s more about working the middle of the field and having a good second scoring threat weather than comes from TE or a number two receiver, or a slot receiver who can work the middle of the field. For example if Ross played like the number 9 pick , it would open up the offense for Green , we wouldn’t miss Eifert as much and Kroft could just be a compliment piece. But the line makes the difference, philly could run the ball and use play action effectively, plus the line could give Foles time to throw. All things the Bengals can’t do.

You are exactly right.  All the weapons in the world mean squat when you can't hold the line and create a pocket for the QB.  This is something Mike Brown has never seemed to grasp.  He did finally begin to draft oline talent high, but then he doesn't "value" some of the positions when it comes time to pay.  They sure seem to "value" Blodine though. Sick

Reply/Quote
Bengals had practically all these things in 2015.
AJ, Eifert, Marvin Jones, and Sanu were all playing in that playoff game.
Bengals really only were missing a good center but the rest of the OL was solid to very good.
But now the Bengals need about 3-4 pieces to get back to that level.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals had practically all these things in 2015.
AJ, Eifert, Marvin Jones, and Sanu were all playing in that playoff game.
Bengals really only were missing a good center but the rest of the OL was solid to very good.
But now the Bengals need about 3-4 pieces to get back to that level.

Yep, and look how well the offense played.  It's a rather simple concept......but some think it's all about skill players.

Reply/Quote
Will say the Bengals (Gruden) tried to bring in an elite TE.

Unfortunately he is as fragile as silence and way too easy to break.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Do not even want to speak about the effort put forth on the OL as of late though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
You guys keep using the word “great” wrt the Eagles Oline but they gave up 36 sacks this season (Bengals gave up 40 for comparison). They’re great at run blocking, but only middle of the pack as far as pass protection. They played well in the playoffs though, only giving up 2.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:27 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I think being good on the lines impacts the game more than a good TE. Having a stud TE helps but it’s not a must have position. The Patriots have won super bowls and playoff games without Gronk.  It’s more about working the middle of the field and having a good second scoring threat weather than comes from TE or a number two receiver, or a slot receiver who can work the middle of the field. For example if Ross played like the number 9 pick , it would open up the offense for Green , we wouldn’t miss Eifert as much and Kroft could just be a compliment piece. But the line makes the difference, philly could run the ball and use play action effectively, plus the line could give Foles time to throw. All things the Bengals can’t do.

Very spot on! I've been preaching this for a long time, need to get WR involved in the middle of the field more. Every pass is almost outside the numbers.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: A great LT and center are where you start building an O-line, we have neither and apparently will continue to roll with are goobers.

Sign that FA Center from Baltimore...it is like a second chance at Alex Mack that Atlanta took and transformed their line.  

Release Jones, MJ, and Lafell and then you also wouldn't have to pay Bodine.  This is the FA they need to get if they are serious about winning.  
Reply/Quote