Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great article on OL impact on offense
Charlie Goldsmith Cincinnati.com

On third-and-1 from midfield in the last two minutes of the Super Bowl, the Cincinnati Bengals had Samaje Perine run the ball and try to fight for the first down. The Los Angeles Rams defensive line powered through the Bengals’ blockers, Perine was tackled behind the line of scrimmage, and one play later the game was over.

For three years, the Bengals tried to patch together an offensive line with mid-round draft picks and low-cost free agents on one-year deals. On that play, the Bengals had an offensive line grouping that had only played together for two months. 

But what if the Bengals had the experience and the talent on the offensive line to open up enough room for Perine? The Bengals now have that with a group of five players who the Bengals made big investments in and a group of players who are all under contract for at least the next two seasons.

As the Bengals report to training camp, the coaching staff is planning for the offensive line to become one of the strengths of the team.

“The lines that play together (that) have most of the same five guys for three or four seasons are always going to play better,” Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said. “The types of guys we brought in, the mentality, their work ethic will allow that to happen at a pretty quick rate."

During the offseason, the Bengals signed right guard Alex Cappa to a four-year deal, center Ted Karras to a three-year deal and right tackle La’el Collins to a three-year deal. Collins is currently on the nonfootball injury list with a back injury, but Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said Collins will be ready for the start of the season.

Second-year left guard Jackson Carman is under contract for three more years. Left tackle Jonah Williams’ contract expires after the 2023 season, but the Bengals are interested in giving a contract extension to the young left tackle.

For the first time since the early-2010s, the Bengals have a young offensive line that’s going to grow together.

“Offensive line is a repetition position,” Karras said. “We’re going to communicate. We’ll see how well we work together. We don’t want bad reps, either. We want consistent performance and a general attitude of coming in and getting our job done.”

“It’s not just learning the system, but learning how to work with each other,” said Cappa, who added that he’s feeling “fantastic” after core muscle surgery in the offseason. “It’s about how we’re going to talk to each other to get to the same page. It takes reps, communication and time.”

For the first time in a long time, the Bengals coaching staff views the offensive line as a strength. As a result, Taylor and Callahan get to add new elements to the offense that they couldn’t afford to try last season when their biggest concern was protecting Joe Burrow.

Last year, the Bengals’ offense was too reliant on explosive plays. During the second half of the year, the offense most often stalled in the red zone or on third and short plays. Just like on the Perine play on third down in the Super Bowl, the offensive line couldn’t win enough one-on-one matchups on the plays that took place in smaller windows.

“We definitely had drives that stalled because of our inability to get a yard,” Callahan said. “And that's frustrating because that means we were relatively efficient on first and second down. We were in great position to convert, which is what we always try to do, and now all of a sudden, we don't get a chance to convert and we’ve got to go off the field because we couldn't get a yard. And that's frustrating on a lot of levels.”

Callahan sees the improved offensive line making the biggest difference in the run game. Last year, according to Callahan, running back Joe Mixon was one of the most contacted running backs at the line of scrimmage. Mixon still had the best year of his career and ranked third in the NFL in rushing, but there’s obviously room to take yet another step forward when there’s more room to run.

“We got athletic (linemen), we got tough guys, and I think those improvements are going to help,” Callahan said. “If we can get Joe into the second level a little cleaner, I think that you're gonna see an uptick, probably in our ability to be efficient in the run game.”

The Bengals’ offense was still one of the best in the NFL in 2021. But with the improvements on the line, Taylor gets a chance to be more creative as a play caller. More snaps with Ja’Marr Chase in the slot, more aggressive passes down the middle of the field and more imaginative rushing plays are all on the table.

“As the offensive line goes, it allows you to do a lot of different things and put stress on the defense in run game, pass game, the protections can be solidified,” Taylor said. “So we just as a unit want to continue to make steps, so the line's a big part of that. We expect them to continue to improve their play, just like we do all the positions. We think we've got a good group up front to be able to do that for us.”

Callahan is especially interested to see what the Bengals can do in the play-action passing game. The biggest difference between the Bengals’ and Rams’ offenses last year was that the Bengals took most of their shots down the field out of shotgun formation on go routes down the sidelines, while the Rams used the under-center play action game to get their receivers open down the field.

Even though Burrow connected with Tee Higgins on an under-center play-action pass to start the third quarter of the Super Bowl with a touchdown, the Bengals didn’t have enough confidence to try that again later in the game.

With Cappa, Karras and Collins, the Bengals plan to give Burrow even more opportunities to take shots down the field.

“Certainly (the line) helps the play action pass, and we're not just getting teed off on,” Callahan said. “I think there's going to be a lot of things that we can do if we feel like our protection can hold up.”

Around the NFL, the biggest criticism of the Bengals’ offense last season was that it could be predictable, especially in the red-zone and short-yardage situations. When the Bengals needed a yard in the run game, they’d bring in an extra offensive lineman. On snaps where Burrow lined up under center, the Bengals almost always ran the ball. On snaps where Burrow lined up in shotgun formation, defenses expected the quick passing game.

With Cappa, Karras and Collins, the Bengals’ offense can look completely different. 

“We got a serious offensive line,” Karras said. “We’ve got a lot of serious, good players. Our goal is to play up to our potential, which is very, very high.”

My thoughts: The media and oddsmakers don’t get what a difference this OL will make. I think this offense is going to surprise even several Bengals fans here and elsewhere as well.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Thanks for sharing! It still amazes me how close we came with the line we had.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 11:37 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: My thoughts: The media and oddsmakers don’t get what a difference this OL will make. I think this offense is going to surprise even several Bengals fans here and elsewhere as well.

I sure hope so. But this is the thing for me. You hear Bengal fans talking about great, upper tier, awesome and so on for the offensive line. And I sure hope so.

But as bad as we've been if we're just average/middle of the road it will be a giant leap ! And that's all we really need to start flourishing on offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't love how we've seamlessly transitioned into the guy with the bum back who couldn't beat out Isaiah Prince or Hakeem Adeniji is now a guaranteed starter with a job handed to him and expectations of him being the future.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 11:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I sure hope so. But this is the thing for me. You hear Bengal fans talking about great, upper tier, awesome and so on for the offensive line. And I sure hope so.

But as bad as we've been if we're just average/middle of the road it will be a giant leap ! And that's all we really need to start flourishing on offense.

This.

We don't have a single All-Pro or ProBowl player on our O-line so I don't think we will be "elite".  But with the skill players we have all we need is a decent, above average line to flourish.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

We don't have a single All-Pro or ProBowl player on our O-line so I don't think we will be "elite".  But with the skill players we have all we need is a decent, above average line to flourish.

And I will take that! 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't love how we've seamlessly transitioned into the guy with the bum back who couldn't beat out Isaiah Prince or Hakeem Adeniji is now a guaranteed starter with a job handed to him and expectations of him being the future.

Not sure exactly what you mean here.

1.  Carman started in front of both Adeniji and Prince until he got injured against the Jets.

2.  No one has said he is a guaranteed starter.

3.  Jonah Williams could not beat out crippled Andre Smith or Bobby Hart his rookie season and he turned out alright.
Reply/Quote
There's definitely a reason to be optimistic about the offense and OL specifically this season with the additions in FA.
However, it's also understandable some might still be skeptical just because no one has seen the OL in action yet.
Also, some national media may not have really paid much attention to Bengals offseason moves because there weren't really any flashy ones other than maybe La'el Collins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't love how we've seamlessly transitioned into the guy with the bum back who couldn't beat out Isaiah Prince or Hakeem Adeniji is now a guaranteed starter with a job handed to him and expectations of him being the future.

Well Carman is not a bumb. Hopefully the light has come on. Sounds like it has. If not Volson sure seems like he’s got a 1000 watt bulb in his head. Carman if he gets with it can be plenty good. I think left guard is better for him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The offensive line last year was bad, but the lack of depth was more of an issue than the starters themselves IMO. This showed it's head in the Super Bowl and when Reiff went down.

We have the same issue with offensive line depth this year. Our starters should be decent, but the depth behind them is paper thing. If one of those guys goes down (like with what happened to Reiff last year), then the play that happened in the Super Bowl with stopping Perine would happen again.

Overall the starting unit should be better, but man I wish they would sign a capable vet.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure exactly what you mean here.

1.  Carman started in front of both Adeniji and Prince until he got injured against the Jets.

3.  Jonah Williams could not beat out crippled Andre Smith or Bobby Hart his rookie season and he turned out alright.

There were points in the season last year where Carman didn't play not because he was injured but because he wasn't good enough. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The offensive line last year was bad, but the lack of depth was more of an issue than the starters themselves IMO. This showed it's head in the Super Bowl and when Reiff went down.

We have the same issue with offensive line depth this year. Our starters should be decent, but the depth behind them is paper thing. If one of those guys goes down (like with what happened to Reiff last year), then the play that happened in the Super Bowl with stopping Perine would happen again.

Overall the starting unit should be better, but man I wish they would sign a capable vet.

Well Ryan Jensen went down this morning in Tampa. Let’s see how they do. Backups are a problem more so for teams like Cincy and Tampa than say the Jets. Everybody has depth issues

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well Ryan Jensen went down this morning in Tampa. Let’s see how they do. Backups are a problem more so for teams like Cincy and Tampa than say the Jets. Everybody has depth issues

I'd be willing to bet the Bucs go out and sign someone to replace him if they don't have a capable guy on their roster. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure exactly what you mean here.

1. And then couldn't take the job back against guys who were performing awfully. He played 100% of the snaps against the Browns in Week 18 as a backup, instead. 

2. Okay, Fred, sure. You read things like this and keep believing that.

3. Jonah Williams was on the IL his entire rookie season. He has never played in a game where he wasn't the starter. Try to Fred less hard, or at least better.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: There were points in the season last year where Carman didn't play not because he was injured but because he wasn't good enough. 

Carman was never benched until he got injured against the Jets.  After that he struggled with getting healthy the rest of the season.  He was still being held out of practices up to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Carman was never benched until he got injured against the Jets.  After that he struggled with getting healthy the rest of the season.  He was still being held out of practices up to the Super Bowl.

What about later in the season, when he was a healthy scratch in favor of an absolutely horribly performing Hakeem Adeniji?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3. Jonah Williams was on the IL his entire rookie season. He has never played in a game where he wasn't the starter. Try to Fred less hard, or at least better.

Carman was injured also.

Why is an injury a valid excuse for Williams, but not Carman?
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's definitely a reason to be optimistic about the offense and OL specifically this season with the additions in FA.
However, it's also understandable some might still be skeptical just because no one has seen the OL in action yet.
Also, some national media may not have really paid much attention to Bengals offseason moves because there weren't really any flashy ones other than maybe La'el Collins.

I'm not certain skeptical is the word for me ? Just proceeding with a tid bit of caution. I mean I have little doubt the Oline will be better. It's just I'm unsure they're going to be great ? At least the first few games there's going to be some learning curve. Especially if the injured ones can't get back soon. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What about later in the season, when he was a healthy scratch in favor of an absolutely horribly performing Hakeem Adeniji?

It is hard to say if Carman was healthy or not.  I know he was still being held out of practices during the playoffs for some injury reason.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2022, 12:24 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The offensive line last year was bad, but the lack of depth was more of an issue than the starters themselves IMO. This showed it's head in the Super Bowl and when Reiff went down.

Yep

I'm sure hoping there's a proven vet backup they can sign after camp cuts. I'm still not thrilled with ours.
Reply/Quote