Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Bengal Short Timer
With Holic starting up the next round ROH and Fred doing a series on who was best # I thought I'd bring a little different slant. Who was the greatest Bengal that spent 5 years or fewer here. I don't mean someone like Terrell Owens who had a HOF career outside of Cincy, I mean someone that was only with us for a short time but kicked butt while here.

Some that come to mind for me:

Coy Bacon

Mike Reid

Bill Bergey

Cedric Benson

So who you got and why.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I liked Big Daddy W. and had a lot of hopes. But I would agree Benson.

Reply/Quote
Coy Bacon
dominant pass rusher who racked up 22 sacks i believe in 1976.
should have made All Pro that year
Reply/Quote
Landon Johnson had a pretty great short stint here, and then kinda fizzled out playing for other teams.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: With Holic starting up the next round ROH and Fred doing a series on who was best # I thought I'd bring a little different slant. Who was the greatest Bengal that spent 5 years or fewer here. I don't mean someone like Terrell Owens who had a HOF career outside of Cincy, I mean someone that was only with us for a short time but kicked butt while here.

Coy Bacon

Mike Reid

Bill Bergey

Cedric Benson

So who you got and why.

In my opinion, it's Mike Reid all day. For anyone that's not familiar with Reid...just go back and watch some of his games. The guy was all over the place wrecking havoc and had HOF type talent.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 02:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I liked Big Daddy W. and had a lot of hopes. But I would agree Benson.

I've always though Ced was perhaps one of the most under-appreciated Bengals of all times. In his 3 years as our full time RB (2009-2011) only 4 RBs gained at least 1,000 in each season:

Steven Jackson

Chris Johnson

Maurice Jones-Drew

Cedric Benson

Reply/Quote
Ashley Ambrose - 3 years with team, 8 INT's in 1996
Tory James - 21 INT's in 4 years
Deltha O'Neal - 4 years, led league with 10 INT's in 2005
Alfred Williams - 26.5 sacks in 4 years
Eric Steinbach
Kevin Zeitler
Johnathan Joseph
Gus Frerotte

I'll leave some for others.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always though Ced was perhaps one of the most under-appreciated Bengals of all times. In his 3 years as our full time RB (2009-2011) only 4 RBs gained at least 1,000 in each season:

Steven Jackson - 3802 yards - 4.2 YPC - 1038 receiving yards - 5 fumbles on 1053 touches

Chris Johnson - 4417 yards - 4.7 YPC - 1166 receiving yards - 9 fumbles on 1087 touches 

Maurice Jones-Drew - 4321 yards - 4.5 YPC - 1065 receiving yards - 10 fumbles on 1084 touches

Cedric Benson - 3421 yards - 3.8 YPC - 371 receiving yards - 13 fumbles on 955 touches

Benson stabilized the RB position after the Chris Perry disaster, but he was the definition of average. All his numbers really prove is that we gave him the ball a lot and he stayed healthy. Look at his YPC rankings by year:

2009: 30th of 50 qualifiers (this is when we ran unbalanced lines and everyone thought Benson was the shiz)
2010: 43rd of 47 qualifiers
2011: 41st of 53 qualifiers

YPC is as close to "QB rating" as it gets for RB's. With what we know now about PA and the run game, I do think Ced would've been better with a decent line, but the performance itself was all quantity with little quality. He also brought very little as a pass catcher and had a bit of a fumbling issue (although I'll admit it was blown out of proportion a bit).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Tommy Casanova.  Only played 6 seasons ('72-'77).  Three time Pro Bowl ('74,'76, '77).  First team All Pro '76.

Retired at age 27 to become a doctor.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always though Ced was perhaps one of the most under-appreciated Bengals of all times. 

(05-20-2018, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Benson stabilized the RB position after the Chris Perry disaster, but he was the definition of average. All his numbers really prove is that we gave him the ball a lot and he stayed healthy. Look at his YPC rankings by year:

2009: 30th of 50 qualifiers (this is when we ran unbalanced lines and everyone thought Benson was the shiz)
2010: 43rd of 47 qualifiers
2011: 41st of 53 qualifiers

YPC is as close to "QB rating" as it gets for RB's. With what we know now about PA and the run game, I do think Ced would've been better with a decent line, but the performance itself was all quantity with little quality. He also brought very little as a pass catcher and had a bit of a fumbling issue (although I'll admit it was blown out of proportion a bit).

See

Reply/Quote
Was always a big Ced Benson fan and will never understand all the hate.

It would have to be Ced on Offense and Jonathan Joseph on Defense for me.

Ced carried the load in 09 and Joseph was the shut down corner we have been in search of since the day he left.

Luckily we finally hit on WJIII.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Macaroni almost won a playoff game..almost. He played the position of hand grenade and horse shoe.. 

So it's that time of the off season when we compare almosts.. I almost went to a game once.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 05:59 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was always a big Ced Benson fan and will never understand all the hate.

It would have to be Ced on Offense and Jonathan Joseph on Defense for me.

Ced carried the load in 09 and Joseph was the shut down corner we have been in search of since the day he left.

Luckily we finally hit on WJIII.

Pacman was a shutdown CB here until pretty much last season.

Reply/Quote
Greg Cook, Jon Kitna, James Harrison, Cedric Benson, Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Jeremi Johnson.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: With Holic starting up the next round ROH and Fred doing a series on who was best # I thought I'd bring a little different slant. Who was the greatest Bengal that spent 5 years or fewer here. I don't mean someone like Terrell Owens who had a HOF career outside of Cincy, I mean someone that was only with us for a short time but kicked butt while here.

Coy Bacon

Mike Reid

Bill Bergey

Cedric Benson

So who you got and why.

5 years is probably not a good cutoff, because of the average lifespan of an NFL player and now because of FA. Look back time would probably need to be viewed within the context of FA too.

Shake listed a number of players with that cutoff and Fred went medieval on everyone with Casanova.
Reply/Quote
Odell Thurman. What? He was only here a short time, and he kicked butt.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 08:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Odell Thurman.  What?  He was only here a short time, and he kicked butt.

Ickey Woods
Dan Ross
Harold Green
Reply/Quote
Paul Robinson RB, 1968-1972
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Robinson_(American_football)
Didn't know he was traded for Charlie Joiner
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ashley Ambrose - 3 years with team, 8 INT's in 1996
Alfred Williams - 26.5 sacks in 4 years
Eric Steinbach
Kevin Zeitler
Johnathan Joseph
Gus Frerotte

I'll leave some for others.

Ashley Ambrose - 3 years with team, 8 INT's in 1996

These guys.  loved them.  
Reply/Quote
Mike Reid and Charlie Joiner would be my picks.
Reply/Quote