Reply/Quote
Terrance Newman
Chris Crocker
Shani Jones

Brian Leonard
Jordan shipley
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 06:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pacman was a shutdown CB here until pretty much last season.

He was showing signs of falling off in 2016 as well imo, but it was way more obvious last year.
Reply/Quote
Reggie Nelson
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:08 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In my opinion, it's Mike Reid all day. For anyone that's not familiar with Reid...just go back and watch some of his games. The guy was all over the place wrecking havoc and had HOF type talent.

Hell of a song writer as well...... over 30 top 10 hits....

Reply/Quote
Eric Steinbach
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 06:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pacman was a shutdown CB here until pretty much last season.

disagree

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Wow. Not once did I see Takeo Spikes mentioned. Drafted in '98, he played here 5 years before spurning the Marvin hire, wanting to play for a "contender" (the Bills were terrible in the 2000's) at a price the Bengals chose to not match. That dude was an absolute wrecking ball at LB.
Reply/Quote
Mike Reid.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 09:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Wow. Not once did I see Takeo Spikes mentioned. Drafted in '98, he played here 5 years before spurning the Marvin hire, wanting to play for a "contender" (the Bills were terrible in the 2000's) at a price the Bengals chose to not match. That dude was an absolute wrecking ball at LB.

The crazy thing with TKO was he was always chasing a contender yet never made it to the playoffs. Many of his teams did immediately after he left. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Wouldn’t Jeff Blake count? 5 great years in Cincy and sucked everywhere else.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 02:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: With Holic starting up the next round ROH and Fred doing a series on who was best # I thought I'd bring a little different slant. Who was the greatest Bengal that spent 5 years or fewer here. I don't mean someone like Terrell Owens who had a HOF career outside of Cincy, I mean someone that was only with us for a short time but kicked butt while here.

Some that come to mind for me:

Coy Bacon

Mike Reid

Bill Bergey

Cedric Benson

So who you got and why.

Bacon, Bergy, and Reid are No doubters.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 01:09 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Reggie Nelson is up there

He certainly is. 5.5 sacks and 23 INT's in 6 seasons. Pro Bowler and thorn in Ben's side. 

(05-21-2018, 09:38 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Wow. Not once did I see Takeo Spikes mentioned. Drafted in '98, he played here 5 years before spurning the Marvin hire, wanting to play for a "contender" (the Bills were terrible in the 2000's) at a price the Bengals chose to not match. That dude was an absolute wrecking ball at LB.

I almost mentioned him, but I didn't think of him as a short timer for some reason. He definitely belongs on the list. Possibly the best Bengals LB I've seen...and that includes Tez...although I'm sure people with short memories or recency bias may disagree. TKO was a monster.

(05-21-2018, 11:24 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Wouldn’t Jeff Blake count? 5 great years in Cincy and sucked everywhere else.

He was with us for 6 years. He did have a good year for New Orleans, helping them make their first playoff berth in 9 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The crazy thing with TKO was he was always chasing a contender yet never made it to the playoffs. Many of his teams did immediately after he left. 

He should have stayed.  There was a change of the guard, we had some very good players and he was a difference maker that would have contributed to what Lewis did here in his first 5 years.

The grass is always greener...
Reply/Quote
Thomas Howard
Ced Benson
Chinedum Ndukwe
Kevin Kaesviharn
Marvin Jones
Odell Thurman
Greg Cook

Spikes after reading some other post... Thought he was here longer. Poor dude was always in the wrong place at the wrong times.

And of Course Tom Nelson (j/k)
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've always though Ced was perhaps one of the most under-appreciated Bengals of all times. In his 3 years as our full time RB (2009-2011) only 4 RBs gained at least 1,000 in each season:

Steven Jackson

Chris Johnson

Maurice Jones-Drew

Cedric Benson

This is very true.  Not only was he a punishing back that opened up play action, but he had a bit of an attitude that I believe rubs off on a team.  When you have a tough RB, you become a tougher offense.  I am hoping Mixon can continue on his late season ascent.  

My fav short termer was the most dominant CB I have ever seen in stripes. Deltha O'Neal.  Teams would intentionally avoid his side of the field, then he would get one opportunity and he would pick it off.  Man, that guy was on fire when he joined Cincy.  

If the rest of the defense around him was better, we might have had something.  

For REALLY short termer, like in terms of playing time, etc, I would go with DeDe Dorsey.  Blocked a punt for a TD and was promptly benched.  Took a screen pass 80 yards and never saw another target that game.  I just didn't get it, but he was stunning whenever he had the ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Benson stabilized the RB position after the Chris Perry disaster, but he was the definition of average. All his numbers really prove is that we gave him the ball a lot and he stayed healthy. Look at his YPC rankings by year:

2009: 30th of 50 qualifiers (this is when we ran unbalanced lines and everyone thought Benson was the shiz)
2010: 43rd of 47 qualifiers
2011: 41st of 53 qualifiers

YPC is as close to "QB rating" as it gets for RB's. With what we know now about PA and the run game, I do think Ced would've been better with a decent line, but the performance itself was all quantity with little quality. He also brought very little as a pass catcher and had a bit of a fumbling issue (although I'll admit it was blown out of proportion a bit).

I get your point with these comparisons, but compared to what other RBs on our team had done with that line, I thought he was a solid contributor and a tough runner.  I remember one of those rare games where we had TJ, Henry, and Chad all healthy with Benson in the backfield (at least I think we had all three of those WRs...I remember Henry had a big day) against his former team, Da Bears.

The Bengals absolutely destroyed them and Ced was pretty emotional afterward.  He loved playing here.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:16 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is very true.  Not only was he a punishing back that opened up play action, but he had a bit of an attitude that I believe rubs off on a team.  When you have a tough RB, you become a tougher offense.  I am hoping Mixon can continue on his late season ascent.  

My fav short termer was the most dominant CB I have ever seen in stripes. Deltha O'Neal.  Teams would intentionally avoid his side of the field, then he would get one opportunity and he would pick it off.  Man, that guy was on fire when he joined Cincy.  

If the rest of the defense around him was better, we might have had something.  

For REALLY short termer, like in terms of playing time, etc, I would go with DeDe Dorsey.  Blocked a punt for a TD and was promptly benched.  Took a screen pass 80 yards and never saw another target that game.  I just didn't get it, but he was stunning whenever he had the ball.

Deltha is one of my favorite all time...   didn't remember how long he stayed so didn't include him
Reply/Quote
Jordan Shipley 52 catches for 600 yards in his rookie year.
Reply/Quote
Tank Johnson

Larry Johnson

Bruce Gradkowski (arguably won Andy's first game for him)

Reply/Quote