Poll: Greatest Bengals RB: Dillon or Brooks?
Dillon
Brooks
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Bengals RB: Dillon or Brooks?
I go with Dillon. He carried that team. Not very far, but he gave defenses something to fear. That, and my first Bengals game was Dillon's record setter vs the Broncos. I'm pretty biased.
Reply/Quote
Mixon !!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 11:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Mixon !!!

[Image: n725075089_288918_2774.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 01:53 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Dillon and it's not even close.

When thinking of Brooks, you think of the people around him.

Can you name 8 QBs that Dillon has played under with the Bengals?

Brooks was talented. Don't get me wrong. But Dillon WAS our offense.

Akili Smith
Scott Mitchell
Gus Frerotte
Jon Kitna
Paul Justin
Neil O'Donnell
Jeff Blake
Boomer Esiason

Didn't even have to look it up.  Smirk
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yep Corey Dillon did more with less around him.
He was a HOF rb with a bunch CFL caliber players around him.
I remember a game I went to in Cleveland
And the Bengals has a paltry 79 yards passing with either Scott Mitchell or Akili Smith
The rest if the offense....Corey Dillon
That was 80 percent of his career as a Bengal
He was our Walter Payton circa 1976 to 1982
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 12:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Akili Smith
Scott Mitchell
Gus Frerotte
Jon Kitna
Paul Justin
Neil O'Donnell
Jeff Blake
Boomer Esiason

Yepppp. Gotta give you credit there.

And the TD:INT ratio during Dillon's tenure here?

120:116

3 of the 7 seasons Dillon was here, the offense threw more INTs than TDs.
And in 1 season the offense threw as many TDs and INTs.

During those 4 years?
53:80
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I picked Brooks but I should have abstained. Dillon and Brooks were both two bad, tough mo fo's for the Bengals. Aggressive yard after contact backs.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2017, 01:40 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yepppp. Gotta give you credit there.

And the TD:INT ratio during Dillon's tenure here?

120:116

3 of the 7 seasons Dillon was here, the offense threw more INTs than TDs.
And in 1 season the offense threw as many TDs and INTs.

During those 4 years?
53:80

Sadly, that's better than I expected. How about the passer ratings for those QBs while they played with Dillon?

Akili Smith - 52.8 (How this guy doesn't get more talk as the worst bust of all-time is beyond me. He was worse than Ryan Leaf or JaMarcus Russell)
Scott Mitchell - 44.0 (How this guy was worse than Akili is beyond me. How he played in 9 games and started 5 is also puzzling)
Jeff Blake - 77.7 (His best years were before Dillon was drafted)
Jon Kitna - 74.6 (outside of 2003 when CD barely played, Kitna had a 69.2 rating in 2 seasons)
Boomer- 106.9 (Looked great in 5 starts...then Mikey let him walk)
Gus Frerotte- 46.9 (most known for throwing that lefty INT on opening day. Started 3 games)
Neil O'Donnell- 90.2 (the definition of "game manager"...rating looks good, but we were 27th in points scored)
Paul Justin- 60.7 (Actually started 3 games. 3 forgettable losses)

Kinda puts it in perspective, eh?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
It's Dillon for me. The teams that he posted those numbers on were often dreadful. From 97-2003 we had one .500 season. He also ran like an AFC north back should....seven shades of nasty.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 02:05 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Brooks Teammates...
QB: Boomer Esiason
WR: Cris Collinsworth, Tim McGee, Eddie Brown
Notable OL: Anthony Munoz, Max Montoya

Dillons Teammates...
QB: Akili Smith
WR: Peter Warrack, Craig Yeast, Ron Dugans
Notable OL: Willie Anderson, Richie Braham

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The fact that they're even COMPARABLE after that tells me all I need to know. Sure Brooks was a superior pass catcher, but if Dillon was on a team that wasn't arguably the worst decade+ in NFL history, he would have easily been a first ballot Hall of Famer.

I put Dillon in the same category as Steven Jackson. On a good team (or even a mediore team) we would be talking about them as among the best of all time.

It's not a coincidence that as soon as Dillon got away from the Bengals, he put up by far the best season of his career despite being 30, and carried (literally and figuratively) his team to a SB win.

He came into the NFL and rolled off 6 straight seasons of 1,100+ yards. I can only imagine what it would have been on a good team.

Funny, I remember more of Jeff Blake as QB, than Akili Smith.  Anyway.  Brooks more a product of the team, and that marvelous OL.  They could have likely gotten similar production out of most any respectable RB.  Dillon, on the other hand, had to carry the team.  He was the big threat that teams had to defend, in order to allow Blake and Pickens, Scott to hook up.  Teams HAD to sell out to stop the run, which allowed so many deep balls to be wide open.  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 12:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Akili Smith
Scott Mitchell
Gus Frerotte
Jon Kitna
Paul Justin

Neil O'Donnell
Jeff Blake
Boomer Esiason

[Image: tenor.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 11:09 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Since I was born in 1988, I don't remember much of Brooks (if anything). So my opinion may be biased but Corey Dillon all the way. Back in... I want to say 1998, I got my very first Bengal jerseys. It was Corey Dillon in white, I also bought a black Jeff Blake jersey that same day. Clearance rack, nobody in upstate New York wanted Bengal merchandise, especially in large youth sizes. Obviously, my allowance money was more than enough to get two (how sad is that?)

Anyway, Corey Dillon was pretty much the only fond memory during my childhood as a Bengal fan. I remember each season naively thinking that this was the year Corey would lead us to the super bowl. The day he through his gear into the stands and stormed out of PBS was one of the saddest days ever. Yet another in my long list of favorite players who left the team in a negative way...

I feel your pain having lived in central New Jersey. No Bengal gear around there but I was able to get my hands on some stuff. I'm a bit older than you. My first #28 jersey was Larry Kinnebrew.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 05:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny, I remember more of Jeff Blake as QB, than Akili Smith.  Anyway.  Brooks more a product of the team, and that marvelous OL.  They could have likely gotten similar production out of most any respectable RB.  Dillon, on the other hand, had to carry the team.  He was the big threat that teams had to defend, in order to allow Blake and Pickens, Scott to hook up.  Teams HAD to sell out to stop the run, which allowed so many deep balls to be wide open.  

I was composing an answer in my mind but felt it would be pretty much the same as what Sunset wrote. You have to go Corey Dillon even if it pains me to vote against James Brooks.

My favorite all-time sports person, regardless of sport, is James Brooks. He was effing awesome. He was 5'7" of pure speed with some power. He ran over many bigger players during his career. That said, he did have an awesome line and a great cast around him. Corey Dillon did not. Just look at the linemen he had blocking for him (as well as the QB's) and you would puke. It's a wonder he had any success at all.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2017, 02:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: LMAO....just teasin' you.

Dillon was the best runner, Brooks was the better all around player.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  And, although people are correct in saying those Dillon teams were devoid of skill position talent, they had a damn good offensive line.  

Someone pointed out that Dillon had the rookie rushing record and the NFL rushing record at one time, and that is a very good point.  

I guess I still pick Brooks because I remember all that he allowed the offense to do because of his versatility.  The so-called "jet" package where both Brooks and Woods were on the field...there were times Brooks would play the lead blocker like a fullback!  He would smoke guys in such a manner you would swear he was more than the 205 lbs or whatever he was listed.  

If we tend to rank QBs on wins and championships, shouldn't that come in to play just a bit on these two players?  Brooks was a huge part of what the Bengals did on offense and they were virtually unstoppable.  
Reply/Quote
Dillon is the greatest Bengals RB hands down but i love Brooks and accidentally voted for him lol
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2017, 11:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Mixon !!!

Dude has all the talent to be seriously.

With his size, speed, vision, hands, stiff arm and his ability to pick up the blitz dude could be great.
Reply/Quote
Since I watched them both play, I have to say that they were both good. But I'm going with Dillon.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote