Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest Trick Plays
Bengals at 4:17 mark:

So what was your favorite trick play? I honestly don't remember this game, but most Bengals home games were blacked out back then.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
2012: First play from scrimmage against the Redskins in DC. Andy Dalton goes wide right, Mohamed Sanu is in shotgun formation, then he launches it to AJ Green on a “nine” route for a TD.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Link is already dead.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 05:26 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Link is already dead.

It's not dead, it's just that YouTube won't allow NFL content to be embedded.

So you have to view it on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSrklyuTlkQ&feature=player_embedded

Or just click the link provided in the "video".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 2012:  First play from scrimmage against the Redskins in DC.  Andy Dalton goes wide right, Mohamed Sanu is in shotgun formation, then he launches it to AJ Green on a “nine” route for a TD.

Sanu has one of the best stat lines for a passer in the history of the league.  He threw another TD pass yesterday.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 07:12 PM)McC Wrote: Sanu has one of the best stat lines for a passer in the history of the league.  He threw another TD pass yesterday.

only not enough passes to qualify for consideration lol
Reply/Quote
Junior year of HS. I was a RB. We ran the HB option once a game and it worked every time. I always had a wide opn receiver who was way behind the defense to throw to.

I threw 4 TD passes that year. Our starting QB threw 3, (2 of which I caught). I had almost as many passing yards as the QB. We were a running team and really only threw occasionally, but that didn't stop me from razzing the hell out of our QB, of course.

Timing is the key to a great trick play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 07:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: only not enough passes to qualify for consideration lol

Yep.

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 04:53 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: 2012:  First play from scrimmage against the Redskins in DC.  Andy Dalton goes wide right, Mohamed Sanu is in shotgun formation, then he launches it to AJ Green on a “nine” route for a TD.

Yeah, thats mine as well. Great throw from Mo.

BTW, Boyd can pass the ball pretty damn good. Surprised we have not used him this way yet.
Reply/Quote
That stare down on the catch made me a bit stiff. Not even going to lie. That was great.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(11-28-2017, 01:51 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: That stare down on the catch made me a bit stiff. Not even going to lie. That was great.

I miss Pick. He and Blake had the Steelers number. Too bad the defense didn't show up most of the time. 

They still carried us to some memorable wins against them...which is kinda amazing considering the Steelers were a SB contender and we were...um...
Reply/Quote
In 50 Year History ???

Paul Brown and his Triple Reverse Flea Flicker. Did they run it in 1968 ? Maybe. I know they ran it in 1969. Greg Cook hands off the ball to a WR or a RB going on a sweep who hands the ball off to a WR going on a sweep the opposite way and then ball ends up back in Greg Cooks hands and he throws the bomb to Tight End Bob Trump and often for a long touchdown. Don Shula of Dolphins remembered Bengals beating his Dolphins with this play to Trumpy in 1977. TRIPLE REVERSE FLEA FLICKER BOMB TO TIGHT END BOB TRUMPY. Fans of the 1960's and 1970's Bengals saw this play a few times.

Around 1974 or 1975 we saw this play against a tough Cleveland Browns team. Ken Anderson drops back to pass, standing behind fullback Boobie Clark. The camera on Ken Anderson. The Browns trying to sack Ken Anderson. Untouched up the middle for 30 some yard touchdown run is Boobie Clark in end zone. How did he get the ball ? It was like The Harlem Globetrotters. A hidden ball trick. Ken Anderson behind his blocker slipped the ball forward with nobody on field or watching on TV seeing it. Ken Anderson was great at the hidden ball trick and camera was on him until it showed Boobie Clark in end zone. Replay showed him going right up the middle untouched for 30 some yard touchdown. I remember Browns fans cussing. Bengals would run this play a few more times with Ken Anderson, but that first time against Cleveland Browns fooled everybody. QUARTERBACK HIDDEN BALL FORWARD HAND-OFF TO BLOCKING FULLBACK AS QUARTERBACK LOOKS LIKE HE STILL HAS THE BALL.

In 1968 and Bengals first year. I think Bengals at Miami Dolphins. Bengals give the ball to Rookie of The Year Paul Robinson, The Cactus Comet, who is tackled by Dolphins defense. TV camera showing him being tackled...but wait.....he doesn't have the ball....running up the sidelines is quarterback Sam Wyche and he has the ball. One defender kept it from being a touchdown but it went for over a 50 yard gain. Bengal Fans would see this in the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. Sam Wyche was great on the hidden ball trick and so was Virgil Carter. They taught it to Ken Anderson who taught it to Boomer Esiason. Our great hidden ball Globetrotter quarterback plays kind of ended with Boomer. Boomer came back in 1997 and as the starter with Corey Dillon we saw some hidden ball plays again that year. 1968 and THE HIDDEN BALL HAND-OFF QUARTERBACK KEEP.

1985. America's Team The Dallas Cowboys and Coach Tom Landry make the first appearance ever at Cincinnati in Riverfront Stadium. Since 1970 the Bengals only played them twice and in Dallas. It was like the schedule makers thought Dallas was too good to come to Cincinnati. Finally in 1985 after 15 years they were here. The 1980's Bengals were all over them. Sam Wyche as coach and Boomer Esiason first year replacing Ken Anderson as the starter. Paul Brown the owner. They beat Dallas 50 to 24. Schedule makers fixed it so Dallas wouldn't come back to Cincinnati until 1994. So in 24 years Dallas played in Cincinnati only once thanks to Dallas and New York NFL Headquarters, but in that one game the 1985 Bengals kicked The Cowboys rear ends up and down the field. ...When teams kicked off to Dallas the Cowboys always dropped back in kick return coverage. Heck, they were on TV every darn Sunday as America's Team. Cincinnati got more Dallas games on TV than Bengals or Browns. We got a Gut Load of America's Team. During the game after a Bengals touchdown, and it was in the first or second quarter, Jim Breech did an onside kick. Heck, Tom Landry as always had Dallas going backwards and everybody 20 or 30 yards back. Nobody around 10 yards. Bengals just walked in and picked up Jim Breech kick off. Bengals ball again. Heck, Bengals were up 50 to 10 in 4th quarter. Bengals beat them in Dallas in 1988 also. So they weren't too good to play us at all. Sam Wyche, Paul Brown. Bengals burned Dallas bad on EARLY IN GAME TRICK ONSIDE KICK AGAINST DALLAS WHO ALWAYS DROPPED BACK TO SET UP RETURN.

Those are 4 of the Great Bengals Trick Plays and 3 of them became Bengals Playbook Standards.

I would say Ken Anderson faking out the cameras on designed quarterback keeps, but I covered that play already going back to 1968.

For # 5, I could go with the Sanu reverse pass for a TD Bomb, like at Washington. I could go with goal line tackle eligible touchdown pass to Anthony Munoz. Neil O'Donnell fake spike TD pass. Peko at fullback. .... Really, kind of a trick that helped in 1988 Super Bowl run was the Sam Wyche Hurry Up Offense Quick Snap. It was brand new by Wyche and NFL teams complained about it to NFL Headquarters. Then every NFL team added it to their playbook. Sam Wyche invented it. The Bengals caught a lot of teams with 12 men on the field in 1988. Really, it should have been called more, especially in AFC Championship and Super Bowl but back then the Refs wouldn't call it or would help defenses get players off field. Coach Wyche would yell at the refs over not calling it. The NFL even considered not allowing Bengals to use the quick snap in 1988 play-offs. So because it worked so well the NFL was afraid of it, and because every NFL team added it to their playbook. Truly a GREAT TRICK PLAY that STARTED IN CINCINNATI was THE HURRY UP OFFENSE QUICK SNAP that caught teams with too many men on the field or the wrong defense on the field.

I would say the trick play ran the most was the Quarterback Hidden Ball Trick. It was like a Harlem Globetrotters play. Sam Wyche was great at it. Virgil Carter was great at it as he quarterbacked Bengals to play-offs in 1970. Ken Anderson learned it and was great at it. Ken Anderson played the most years running the hidden ball trick plays and often designed quarterback keeps. I saw Ken Anderson almost go for long TD run in early 70's on that 1968 Sam Wyche run play. Ken Anderson was like a Harlem Globetrotter in hiding the ball. Often defenses tackled the wrong person. Boomer Esiason learned the hidden ball trick pretty good also. It kind of stops there. I really haven't seen it since. I can't say Blake or Carson Palmer or Dalton were good at it, because they were not. We really haven't had a quarterback that could really hide the ball on play action and such since Boomer. Wyche, Carter, Anderson and Boomer were great at it, all while Paul Brown was alive. I really haven't seen it since. Our quarterbacks use to have the Harlem Globetrotter hidden ball plays down and were great at them. Dalton would have a hard time out of our formations now in shotgun, no running back, or one running back but off to the side. Most of our formations today there is nobody to fake or hide the ball to. Someday an NFL team is going to have a fullback and a running back that both can run like Brooks and Ickey and a quarterback that hides the ball, and defenses will get ate alive and it will be back. Old will be new again, just as NFL going back to using tight ends. You watch, some year an NFL team will have 2 back sets and both can run and the QB can run and hide the ball, and these modern defenses won't know what to do because most have never seen it.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
my favorite trick play was by matt Stafford of the lions when he gets them to the line as time is running out to spike the ball.. but jumps and reaches over the goal line for the win instead.
Reply/Quote
Liked the one shown and really liked Pickens as well.

Of course love anything that works against the steelers, like how Pickens was telling him about it as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote