Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest of All Time Billboard 200 Albums
Billboard magazine compiled the 'Greatest of All Time Billboard 200 Albums'.  And it's.......something. It's based solely on chart position:

Quote:On this all-time list, albums are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at the lower reaches of the chart earning the least.

Pretty interesting to see the difference between this style of ranking and more critically minded lists. For example: 'St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' tops a lot of critics 'best albums of all time' lists.  But on this Billboard list it's #54, while Nickelback has an album in the top 10.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2015, 11:49 AM)Donnyho Wrote: Pretty interesting to see the difference between this style of ranking and more critically minded lists. For example: 'St. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band' tops a lot of critics 'best albums of all time' lists.  But on this Billboard list it's #54, while Nickelback has an album in the top 10.

really on ST peppers? it wouldnt crack my top 100 or my cd player ever

but the billboard chart is based on sales correct?
Reply/Quote
all this list tells me is that there are a lot of people out there with really bad taste in music.
Reply/Quote
An obvious omission

[Image: Nately%2Band%2Bthe%2BKill%2BScreenz%2BTo...BCover.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2015, 03:43 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: all this list tells me is that there are a lot of people out there with really bad taste in music.

I went to college for, and worked in, radio.

You have no idea.

But in addition you also have to consider that in the last 20 years the stations have mostly been bought up by corporations that push the same music over several stations in the country.

Back in 1995 right before I got out of the business I worked at a country station in a small town.  And even THEY were getting a pre-programmed list of songs that "were popular" to play in heavier rotation.  

The corporations control what is a "hit" and when people here it enough they buy into it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2015, 02:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: I went to college for, and worked in, radio.

You have no idea.

But in addition you also have to consider that in the last 20 years the stations have mostly been bought up by corporations that push the same music over several stations in the country.

Back in 1995 right before I got out of the business I worked at a country station in a small town.  And even THEY were getting a pre-programmed list of songs that "were popular" to play in heavier rotation.  

The corporations control what is a "hit" and when people here it enough they buy into it.

I remember many moons ago, I was doing some field work in Adams County in Ohio. For those of you who don't know Adams County, it is a pretty backwoods area along the Ohio River (at least it was back in the 90s). I was trying to find something on the radio to listen to while I drove and came upon a local, non-formatted station. They played things like Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man" followed directly by Ozzy Osborn's "Crazy Train" followed directly by Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back" followed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's version of "Sweet Chariot". It was the most awesome thing! It is like you had 16 different record-spinners in the room each taking turns playing what they liked, and none of them gave a f*** about format or genre. You wanted to listen just to hear what the heck they were gonna play next.

Having pretty eclectic musical tastes, I thought that was the coolest station ever.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
Elsa from Frozen and Hannah Montana aren't even real people.

And it looks like every album Taylor Swift and Nelly put out are on this list.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote