Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Green talks.....
(10-10-2019, 04:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, where did AJ Green say "I'm here no matter what?"

That seems to be his mindset based upon what he has said.  He is stressing loyalty to the team that drafted him and not mentioning anything about being competitive or winning the SB, so I'd wager he's here no matter what.  I mean, we are well on our way to our 4th losing season in a row and he's making a point to say that he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I realize it's all talk, but if he's still 100% on board with the Bengals as of now I have to wonder what his "bridge too far" sort of moment would be.

Also, he mentions that he wants to be like Larry Fitzgerald, which is admirable but Larry is historically known as an ultra talented HOFer who chose to ride it out with a team that never got a ring. That's an odd thing for AJ to say. There are NFL WRs out there who have played their entire careers for one team and have won it all, so for him to specifically cite a guy who is 100% worthy of being admired but is also an odd case because he managed to marry himself to an organization that underachieves enough to overshadow his massive talent is quite interesting.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 04:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That seems to be his mindset based upon what he has said.  He is stressing loyalty to the team that drafted him and not mentioning anything about being competitive or winning the SB, so I'd wager he's here no matter what.  I mean, we are well on our way to our 4th losing season in a row and he's making a point to say that he doesn't want to play anywhere else.

I realize it's all talk, but if he's still 100% on board with the Bengals as of now I have to wonder what his "bridge too far" sort of moment would be.

It is just the way AJ is, I bet if some team offered a ton for him he would go there for the opportunity to win a SB.

Especially if MB low balled him.

Maybe he still has hope in Taylor I don't know, he sees his coaching more than we do.

Maybe he thinks we are only a few players away which could be true. We fix the LB's, the O-line, the Defensive breakdowns
and with AJ back we could be a really good team if the coaching improves also. Lot of ifs though as usual.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 03:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don't think he is saying he is Larry but he admires what he did. There are two sides, Green has his desires and the team may have similar or different desires. Him wanting to be here isn't a bad thing, and him thinking him being here is a good thing for the organization isn't a bad thing either. 

I think we'd be better of trading him, but you can appreciate a guy in today's NFL who wants to stay loyal to the team that drafted him even when everyone else is telling him to run. 

My thoughts exactly.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 04:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Also, he mentions that he wants to be like Larry Fitzgerald, which is admirable but Larry is historically known as an ultra talented HOFer who chose to ride it out with a team that never got a ring.  That's an odd thing for AJ to say. There are NFL WRs out there who have played their entire careers for one team and have won it all, so for  him to specifically cite a guy who is 100% worthy of being admired but is also an odd case because he managed to marry himself to an organization that underachieves enough to overshadow his massive talent is quite interesting.

It is interesting.

Larry is his friend too and both are ultra talented.

AJ just hasn't been able to stay healthy. We usually are a winning team when he is healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is interesting.

Larry is his friend too and both are ultra talented.

AJ just hasn't been able to stay healthy. We usually are a winning team when he is healthy.

I'll admit I'm not too up to date on my Cardinals contract goings on, but was there ever a point where the Larry said he wanted to be a Cardinal and their FO was like "Hang on, we want to see if you'll be worth another contract" like the Bengals are doing to AJ now?

It makes business sense for the BEngals to wait, but it looks like a player is saying "I want to be here!" and the FO is like "We want you to be here, too....maybe....hang on."  Insane loyalty should be a two way street and this just doesn't seem symmetrical at the moment.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll admit I'm not too up to date on my Cardinals contract goings on, but was there ever a point where the Larry said he wanted to be a Cardinal and their FO was like "Hang on, we want to see if you'll be worth another contract" like the Bengals are doing to AJ now?

It makes business sense for the BEngals to wait, but it looks like a player is saying "I want to be here!" and the FO is like "We want you to be here, too....maybe....hang on."  Insane loyalty should be a two way street and this just doesn't seem symmetrical at the moment.

Not making excuses for the FO but AJ's injury history as of late has to be taken into account.

Especially when we need so much help at LB and on the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not making excuses for the FO but AJ's injury history as of late has to be taken into account.

Especially when we need so much help at LB and on the O-line.

Yeah, it's not an unreasonable situation...which makes AJ's flowery talk about the wanting to be here seem pretty odd.  There is admirable loyalty and then there is just self-flagellation in hopes of some sort of karmic reward.  As it is, if AJ is as loyal to the Bengals as he says I'll go 50% "good for him" and 50% "poor guy."

As others have pointed out, we don't even have a ring of honor for our players, so holding on to be "Mr. Bengals" is puzzling on so many levels.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, it's not an unreasonable situation...which makes AJ's flowery talk about the wanting to be here seem pretty odd.  There is admirable loyalty and then there is just self-flagellation in hopes of some sort of karmic reward.  As it is, if AJ is as loyal to the Bengals as he says I'll go 50% "good for him" and 50% "poor guy."

I get that for sure. Need to start winning.

AJ sure helps with this when healthy though.

Taylor just said they aren't trading him, hopefully he is back soon.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 12:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: AJ should be on the Mount Rushmore of Bengals

2nd best Bengals WR doesn't belong on the Mount Rushmore of Bengals.

Love AJ, seems by all accounts a great guy, and has been a great player, but Chad Johnson still remains the best Bengals WR of all time. AJ was a Top 5-10 WR in his prime, Chad was a Top 1-3 WR in his prime. There's a reason why Chad had three straight 1st Team All-Pros and AJ has 0.

- - - - - - -

My Mount Rushmore of Bengals would be (in no particular order)... Munoz, Dillon, Atkins, and Paul Brown.

NFL HoFer, should be an NFL HoFer, will be an NFL HoFer, and Franchise Founder and NFL HoFer

(Honorable mentions to Willie Anderson, Kenny Anderson, Ken Riley, Chad Johnson, Andrew Whitworth, and AJ Green)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get that for sure. Need to start winning.

I don't expect them to trade him either, but it's hard to look at this situation and declare refusing to trade AJ as them being all-in on the future and not just assume it's another lazy Mike Brown "Let's do nothing" sort of non-move.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I get that for sure. Need to start winning.

Beat me to it....so like I said in ocho's thread, it was most likely sensationalist media striking again. I've heard an offer has already been made, and the two sides did not agree. I don't know if it was money, or length. My guess is the negotiations are still in progress and we'll soon know for sure.

I don't think Dalton will be extended. He can be cut at any time, they might trade him, or they might ride out next season and use him as the bridge.

Reply/Quote
......aaaannnnnddddd AJ Green was in pads and helmet practicing today. He's ruled out for Baltimore, but Jacksonville looks like a real possibility.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Having a "learning on the fly" coaching staff seems more conducive to keeping Dalton here, though.  Until he's actually out the door I won't believe he's gone.  I could take or leave the guy, I just think it's interesting we've gone from being sure we were going to move AJ for a high pick and now he says he wants to stay and we are picturing a brand new QB throwing the ball to him.

I don't see how Mike Brown can want to stay the course with one guy and not the other.

I wasn't saying anything about replacing Dalton. I was just pointing out that AJ is key to winning, more so than anyone else.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't expect them to trade him either, but it's hard to look at this situation and declare refusing to trade AJ as them being all-in on the future and not just assume it's another lazy Mike Brown "Let's do nothing" sort of non-move.

I get that too, completely understandable.

(10-10-2019, 05:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Beat me to it....so like I said in ocho's thread, it was most likely sensationalist media striking again. I've heard an offer has already been made, and the two sides did not agree. I don't know if it was money, or length. My guess is the negotiations are still in progress and we'll soon know for sure.

I don't think Dalton will be extended. He can be cut at any time, they might trade him, or they might ride out next season and use him as the bridge.

Yes sir. If there was a trade to be made I would trade Dalton if we could get anything for him. His pocket awareness just
isn't there and you have to have it with a below average O-line. Heck he finally has a good Center in front of him and he still
panics even when there is decent protection. I would roll with Finley the rest of the season if we lose against the Ratbirds in
a blow out.

Always been a Dalton supporter too, but I think the writing is on the wall.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......aaaannnnnddddd AJ Green was in pads and helmet practicing today. He's ruled out for Baltimore, but Jacksonville looks like a real possibility.

One would hope so. That would be 12 weeks after a reported 6-8 week injury.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 05:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: ......aaaannnnnddddd AJ Green was in pads and helmet practicing today. He's ruled out for Baltimore, but Jacksonville looks like a real possibility.

Great news. Rock On
Reply/Quote
any bets if he will play without new contract
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:56 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: True.  It felt like a change was forthright during the off-season.  Mike Brown turned 84 this year.  I could see him involved for the next 6 years or so.  Until they get a competent GM, poor decisions will be made.  The team needs a football person that understands the modern NFL.  

Six more years...yeeeesh. 

I could see a 90 year old MB still in the picture though.  Sad

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I wouldn't be unhappy at all with 2 Oline picks in the first. 

I haven't been looking at T much in the draft. I'm kind of stuck on Conklin in FA right now...but with a knee injury and the price tag, it might not be the smartest move. 

It all pretty much depends on trades and what they get in return.

I try not to get my hopes up for FAs or even the draft, really.  Sure I know who I would take and who I want, but the team doesn't usually do what I would do.  Especially when we have multiple 1st rounders.  I wanted DeCastro and Glenn the year we drafted Kirkpatrick and Zeitler.

FAs are the same.  The only added thing about FAs, is they get to choose where they want to go as well.  So even if we offered fair value to the player, they may decide to go somewhere else, for less.  Or sometimes they want way more than they are worth and I agree with not overpaying for a player that thinks they are worth such and such.

I was ecstatic when we drafted J. Williams.  I didn't expect him to be there.  Then of course he gets injured, which made me wonder what the universe has against the Bengals.   So if we have the chance at Thomas or Kindley, I really hope ZT does the smart thing and take them.  Even if we have the top pick, take Thomas, forgo the QB, though as I said, the team doesn't always do what I think they should do.

We would probably grab a QB and then address OT in the 2nd, probably one that know one ever heard of.  Hobson will invoke Whitworth, I will bang my head.
Reply/Quote
[Image: 19462_270068616181_270060841181_3276839_1524890_n.jpg]

Here is what we are looking at if we re-sign AJ.

And that is if AJ can even hold up.

Reply/Quote