Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Green to Ross: "Just stop thinking"
In this recent recent article at Bengals.com, John Ross talks about Green's advice, changing his mental approach and working with TJ:

The way Ross tells it, Green, the seven-time Pro Bowler, has pulled him to the side and told him, “You have to slow down. Get under yourself. Calm down. Just stop thinking. I’m watching you think about it. Just stop thinking.”

And while Ross may have heard that stuff last year as the ninth player taken in the draft, this sophomore is listening to it.

“Then I won’t think about it,” Ross says, “and I’ll run a good route.”

“Pressure is still the same. Even more so,” Ross says. “‘Is he going to perform? How well is he going to perform?’ I kind of had to stop thinking about it.

“That’s one of my biggest things. I’m thinking about everything I’m doing and it’s taking away from how talented I actually am. They’re in my ear a lot saying, ‘Just relax. Be yourself. We can tell when you’re yourself. You perform better. You just have to stop thinking so much.”

“I couldn’t ask to feel any better than I do now,” Ross says. “It’s the best I’ve felt since I went into my last year of college.”

“Last year I let everything get to me.” Ross says. “I let my injury get to me. I was trying to do more than I could. I was out of shape. I’m not trying to make excuses, but its real life things. You can’t just come in the NFL and be that guy. You have to come in and prepare. I’ve learned that. It’s growth and progression from here on.”

“T.J. is the most confident guy I’ve ever met in my life. I can say that with a straight face,” Ross says. “That first day we met I felt like I knew him my whole life. He doesn’t think he could still be a third receiver in the NFL. He believes it.”

Houshmandzadeh has told him if anybody thinks Ross got drafted purely for his 40 time, they are full of it.

“He said, ‘You got drafted ninth because you’re talented and you work hard,’” is how Ross recounts the conversation. “ ‘Just continue to do so. You’ll get better.’”
Reply/Quote
I think this pretty much lays the "Marvin was picking on him" argument to rest....

Quote:Head coach Marvin Lewis didn’t exactly give him a mulligan. Ross heard about every mistake in the media and he was benched more than Gatorade. But Ross doesn’t feel like he was in the dog house.

“Some of the stuff he was saying was true,” Ross says.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I think this pretty much lays the "Marvin was picking on him" argument to rest....

That sounds like a positive change in attitude.  Could be he's just growing up, or guys like AJ talking sense to him, or a combination of things. 

Either way, I'm thrilled about it.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That sounds like a positive change in attitude.  Could be he's just growing up, or guys like AJ talking sense to him, or a combination of things. 

Either way, I'm thrilled about it.  

Yeah, if Ross is approaching things with an improved mental approach and more confidence - combined with being healthy and feeling good physically - it could be a lot fun watching him realize his potential this season.
Reply/Quote
My God this guy is a mess.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 01:56 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: My God this guy is a mess.

How so?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: How so?

Sounds like Generalized Anxiety Disorder
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: How so?

We're to the point where we just tell Ross to "stop thinking". 

I mean, that's it? Just stop thinking and everything is going to work itself out? 

It just sounds like everyone is at a loss. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We're to the point where we just tell Ross to "stop thinking". 

I mean, that's it? Just stop thinking and everything is going to work itself out? 

I think what they mean is he is overthinking things instead of just letting the game come to him naturally and flowing smoothly.  It has to become second nature instead of thinking too much about it.  It will come in reps and gaining confidence from them as he builds his rapport with Dalton and the rest of the offense.  Last season was a train wreck.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: We're to the point where we just tell Ross to "stop thinking". 

This also sounds symptomatic of a Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Ross is using a poor choice of words.  They are telling him to stop constantly obsessing over every small thing that could possibly go wrong.  Its like a golfer who gets the yips in his putting game.  The more you think about it the worse it gets.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This also sounds symptomatic of a Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Ross is using a poor choice of words.  They are telling him to stop constantly obsessing over every small thing that could possibly go wrong.  Its like a golfer who gets the yips in his putting game.  The more you think about it the worse it gets.

This could be true as well.....or OCD.

Reply/Quote

Have you ever been bowling? when you over think about what your doing you tend not to do so well as letting your body do what it already knows how to do.   If your busy thinking your probly not reacting.

Its why the game starts to slow down for players in years 2-4 as they have a better grasp on their role and don't have to think about it so much and can just play.
Reply/Quote

Yeah man, I think that's an oversimplification of what AJ was telling him. I think AJ is trying to help him just go out and play the game and utilize his talents - without the need for analyzing everything. Players often get told to 'slow things down and let the game come to them'.

Ross is a young guy who had a pretty rocky first season, which I'm sure did a number on his confidence. However, it seems like he's very willing to take in the advice and lessons of guys AJ and TJ, which is a good thing. 
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:25 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah man, I think that's an oversimplification of what AJ was telling him. I think AJ is trying to help him just go out and play the game and utilize his talents - without the need for analyzing everything. Players often get told to 'slow things down and let the game come to them'.

Ross is a young guy who had a pretty rocky first season, which I'm sure did a number on his confidence. However, it seems like he's very willing to take in the advice and lessons of guys AJ and TJ, which is a good thing. 

Exactly! I'm pretty sure the pressure was alot and getting advice from 2 of the best WRs ever to wear our uniform will help.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, I mean a 21 yr. old kid fresh out of college, drafted with the expectations of being a great WR next to one of the best to ever play the game, how could he not handle that pressure better? Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: This could be true as well.....or OCD.

Or The #9 pick in the draft who has a ton of expectations of him and is trying to do too much. Doesn't really sound like Generalized Anxiety Disorder; more just a guy who is stressed from a high stress job and wanting to perform his best but due to injuries and other things not able to. This frustrates him so he tries to do more and starts overthinking. You can over think a presentation which causes you to mess up your words/order but it doesn't mean you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder or OCD.

Adjustment Disorder with anxiety at best. 
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 04:30 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Or The #9 pick in the draft who has a ton of expectations of him and is trying to do too much. Doesn't really sound like Generalized Anxiety Disorder; more just a guy who is stressed from a high stress job and wanting to perform his best but due to injuries and other things not able to. This frustrates him so he tries to do more and starts overthinking. You can over think a presentation which causes you to mess up your words/order but it doesn't mean you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder or OCD.

Adjustment Disorder with anxiety at best. 

Good point, definitely a more plausible scenario.

Reply/Quote

This is what you got out of that article?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 02:21 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think what they mean is he is overthinking things instead of just letting the game come to him naturally and flowing smoothly.  It has to become second nature instead of thinking too much about it.  It will come in reps and gaining confidence from them as he builds his rapport with Dalton and the rest of the offense.  Last season was a train wreck.

This has me thinking of when Chad went to New England and just not being able to consistently grasp what he should do on a given play or situation. Chad apparently free lanced a lot when with the Bengals which upset Palmer but Palmer adapted knowing Chad could get open even when not exactly where he was supposed to be on a route. Chad never fully grasped the nuances of his role in the Patriots offense.

Hopefully Ross can get up to speed mentally and this upcoming season should be telling. My concern is that he may work real hard at it but just not get there. Then get relegated to a role that is simpler for him to remember and perform. He could still make an impact in a simpler role though. I am about 40% confident he totally gets there plus can stay consistently healthy but hoping for the best.
Reply/Quote
Geez, you guys make it sound like he's a mental ****** with all these 3 character mental diseases.

Luckily, I don't believe in any of that crap, which means I'll take his improved attitude as a good sign.

I never liked the pick. And I liked it even less after his rookie season where he literally validated all of the reason I didn't like the pick by making them all come true.

The change in attitude is awesome! You can't fix anything if you don't see that anything is wrong. At least he seems to see there's something to fix.

Reply/Quote