Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greg Hardy and the chance in Bengals mentality
Not sure if everyone saw the Deadspin article that showed the police pictures from the Greg Hardy domestic violence case, but they were horrific. It got me thinking... there were many on the old boards who were highly in favor of the Bengals trying to bring him in as a free agent last year. In the past, I think this is something Mike Brown might have done, but I don't remember any reports saying the Bengals were interested.

The Bengals used to be a laughing stock... for a couple years, it seemed like every other week there was a player getting arrested or in some sort of trouble. The team changed mentality and seems to value players who have good character as well footballs skills. They are a very well run franchise and have a great deal of respect.

Not just the wins, but how happy are you with the current "state of the franchise"? Also, how would you feel as a Bengals fan if Hardy were on the team and those pictures came out?
Reply/Quote
I didn't want him, but I didn't want Adam Jones, either and he has been the backbone of our defense.

Greg Hardy seems like the kind of guy that will end his career with an Aaron Hernandez-like trial.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
cant lie I wanted him because of his talent and theres no denying hes one of the best DE's in the league, however I didnt understand the severity of the situation, hes a real scumbag
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:22 PM)Element Wrote: cant lie I wanted him because of his talent and theres no denying hes one of the best DE's in the league, however I didnt understand the severity of the situation, hes a real scumbag

I had read a pretty detailed article and did not want him at all.  After seeing the pictures, I would not have felt good at all if he were wearing a Bengals' uniform.  He is absolute human scum...
Reply/Quote
What do you say to a woman with two black eyes?

Nothing, you already said it twice.

I'm glad the Bengals have become respectable with character. I think the organization learned from it.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:28 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I had read a pretty detailed article and did not want him at all.  After seeing the pictures, I would not have felt good at all if he were wearing a Bengals' uniform.  He is absolute human scum...

Im glad we got MJ instead... the Hardy Appeal was good though Great DE played in a 4-3 probly could have been had cheap But we were not in a position of desperation on defense like the cowboys have been in years past.

And we have already seen hardy getting into it with a coach and teammate on the sideline nothing serious but we have great camaraderie in our locker room... Not just offense and defense but the whole group
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:06 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Not sure if everyone saw the Deadspin article that showed the police pictures from the Greg Hardy domestic violence case, but they were horrific.  It got me thinking... there were many on the old boards who were highly in favor of the Bengals trying to bring him in as a free agent last year.  In the past, I think this is something Mike Brown might have done, but I don't remember any reports saying the Bengals were interested.

The Bengals used to be a laughing stock... for a couple years, it seemed like every other week there was a player getting arrested or in some sort of trouble.  The team changed mentality and seems to value players who have good character as well footballs skills.  They are a very well run franchise and have a great deal of respect.

Not just the wins, but how happy are you with the current "state of the franchise"?  Also, how would you feel as a Bengals fan if Hardy were on the team and those pictures came out?

I wanted him based on his football ability as well as everything is an accusation and still unproven in a court of law and the appeal was won by Hardy is my understanding.

I have not seen the pics, but I am sure they are not pretty. My issue is I am not 100% certain he was guilty and I see too much of rush to guilt versus innocent until proven guilty in the country. The NFLPA  supported him back into the NFL and the NFL complied based on far more facts that we have at our disposal.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I have not seen the pics, but I am sure they are not pretty. My issue is I am not 100% certain he was guilty and I see too much of rush to guilt versus innocent until proven guilty in the country. The NFLPA  supported him back into the NFL and the NFL complied based on far more facts that we have at our disposal.

If you saw the pictures, my guess is you would have changed your mind. He was found guilty, but later was overturned on appeal as he had paid off the girl not to cooperate getting the whole thing thrown out. The account of the female acquaintance to Hardy in the apartment that night who basically pushed the whole thing as far as calling the cops is pretty chilling, and she really had nothing to gain by making the report to police.

The NFLPA had to reluctantly represent him because it is their job. The NFL overturned their original suspension because they had to because of the CBA. Let's not confuse being able to play based on technicalities with any form of innocence.
Reply/Quote
Adam Jones is fortunate enough that the Las Vegas incident was murky and pre all phones having quality cameras. He is also lucky to have received only a slap on the wrists for sucker punching a woman 2 years ago.

What Greg Hardy has done is disgusting and equally so is the behaviour of Adam Jones over the years. Paying Jones millions of dollars these last 5 years is condoning what he has done, and I don't think this franchise can take the moral high ground at all.

As has been proved time and time again in the NFL, if you are talented, the league and franchises are more than happy enough to turn a blind eye to pretty much anything.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I wanted him based on his football ability as well as everything is an accusation and still unproven in a court of law and the appeal was won by Hardy is my understanding.

I have not seen the pics, but I am sure they are not pretty. My issue is I am not 100% certain he was guilty and I see too much of rush to guilt versus innocent until proven guilty in the country. The NFLPA  supported him back into the NFL and the NFL complied based on far more facts that we have at our disposal.

He was found guilty by a judge, but because of a fluke in North Carolina law was allowed to appeal that decision and then the prosecutors could not locate her to testify at the second trial (there were real questions about was she paid off or actually dead).  Read the Deadspin article, there is no doubt he was 100% guilty.

Because of the current CBA the NFL had no choice other than to let him play again and the NFLPA has no choice other than to represent him because he is a member of the union.  That does not mean that individual teams had to offer him a contract though.
Reply/Quote
Erin Winston is the NFLPA. Hardy needs out of the NFL and put under rehabilitation. They "rehabbed" M. Vick.

Talent = money in the NFL, and money is all they're about (like most people). Instead, they don't see the fans get super angry and don't care to see Hardy on the field ever again.

Ray Rice doesn't see the field again because of public stigma (his stats started to become pedestrian too, though). To give a 2-3 year ban for domestic violence issues would send a message that the fans would want to see, because the 4 game was nothing. The 10 game reduced to 4 games (with the help of our own Eric Winston), is not good in the public's eye.

Considering the length of careers, 2-3 years is a career killer.

What Hardy did, any of us would be in Jail for. IIRC Hardy got paid while he was on leave, to boot. He has mental issues, he needs help.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:22 PM)Element Wrote: cant lie I wanted him because of his talent and theres no denying hes one of the best DE's in the league, however I didnt understand the severity of the situation, hes a real scumbag

The league wasn't making much public, neither were the police or courts. The Bengals front office clearly knew enough to stay away. Most fans had little idea of what had occurred.

I credit Marvin with the teams change from Mike Brown's ideas of the Bengals being the NFLs halfway house for criminals.

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 02:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The league wasn't making much public, neither were the police or courts. The Bengals front office clearly knew enough to stay away. Most fans had little idea of what had occurred.

I credit Marvin with the teams change from Mike Brown's ideas of the Bengals being the NFLs halfway house for criminals.

Mike Brown loved to give players second chances.

But you can tell this is a marvin lockerroom now. and we have a stable enough enivroment to handle someone that may of had issues. But hardy might have been beyond what we are willing to do as far as giving second chances.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:55 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: He was found guilty by a judge, but because of a fluke in North Carolina law was allowed to appeal that decision and then the prosecutors could not locate her to testify at the second trial (there were real questions about was she paid off or actually dead).  Read the Deadspin article, there is no doubt he was 100% guilty.

Because of the current CBA the NFL had no choice other than to let him play again and the NFLPA has no choice other than to represent him because he is a member of the union.  That does not mean that individual teams had to offer him a contract though.

Union could have kicked him out if they had any credibility at all, which they do not. Of course, the NFL's use of suspensions has been highly questionable. Both are toting around too many wrongs IMO.

I wish the two would get together and decide things based on what was the best for the league and future of the game as a whole.

Reply/Quote
I wanted Hardy. I live just outside of Charlotte and what I heard about the woman in local circles was that she was a big liar and gold digger. It got to the point where I thought she was a complete bull$hit artist, especially since she skipped the hearing. Now seeing those pictures, my thinking was complete bull$hit. Hardy needs to go and I am glad the Bengals didn't sign him.
Reply/Quote
I didn' want Hardy then, and I don't want him now. Not only is he a scummy woman beater, he is a locker room cancer. No place for him at PBS...
Reply/Quote
The pictures are bad - but I didn't expect them to be good. But I'm not as mad about the pictures as I am with his attitude during the game and the sidelines. Yelling at coaches, pushing players, penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct. I would despise having this guy in our locker room. Awful awful presence... poison.
Season ticket holder since 2003. Lifetime Bengals fan, through thick and thin.
Reply/Quote
I wanted him on a 1-year, el cheapo deal. Once I found out he was suspended, I didn't really want him anymore.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:10 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I didn't want him, but I didn't want Adam Jones, either and he has been the backbone of our defense.  

Greg Hardy seems like the kind of guy that will end his career with an Aaron Hernandez-like trial.

There's a big difference between Adam Jones and Greg Hardy.  

Adam Jones has admitted to making mistakes in his past.  He has grown from those mistakes to be a spokesperson / mentor to young players regarding being a professional and doing the right thing.  He is now a family man who is very appreciative of where he is now with his life.

Greg Hardy is a dirt bag, coward who abuses women and has learned nothing and is not contrite about what he's done.  He continues to make stupid, irrational comments and has no respect for anyone.

If I were a Dallas player I'd be ashamed to have someone like that on my team.  And as a fan I'd be appalled and sickened to have to root for a person like this.  Jerry Jones is, and always has been a classless bafoon who just happens to have a bunch of oil money and thus was able to buy an NFL team.  I'm sure the league would love to get rid of that dirt bag also.

Rant over...... Thank you Mike, Marvin (and whoever) else for changing the philosophies of the Bengal franchise.  You can't change stupid.  Lord knows we've tried in the past - never works in the end.  Dallas and Jerry Scumbag Jones will find out the same.

Reply/Quote
There's a huge difference in taking a chance on a DWI/drug guy and some guy that beats the crap out of his girl.

You really run the risk of alienating the fans with the guy that beats his chick.
Reply/Quote