Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Greg Roman, potential new Bengals run game coodinator?
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35481734/ravens-oc-greg-roman-resigns-amid-offense-declining-results

Got not-fired because Lamar Jackson isn't good at throwing the ball.

The Ravens' rushing offense rankings under Greg Roman...
'22: 2nd overall, 3rd per carry
'21: 3rd overall, 5th per carry
'20: 1st overall, 1st per carry
'19: 1st overall, 1st per carry

During that timespan they had 4 different RBs having seasons with 250+ yards at 5.0 or more YPC and another 3 with at least 4.2 YPC. Seemingly everyone they put back there has success.

- - - - - -

Frank Pollack is clearly not the answer. While he's the OL Coach and Run Game Coodinator the Bengals run game has been...
'22: 29th overall, 29th per carry
'21: 23rd overall, 26th per carry

They need to make a change and Roman could be a solution.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35481734/ravens-oc-greg-roman-resigns-amid-offense-declining-results

During that timespan they had 4 different RBs having seasons with 250+ yards at 5.0 or more YPC and another 3 with at least 4.2 YPC. Seemingly everyone they put back there has success.

- - - - - -

Frank Pollack is clearly not the answer. While he's the OL Coach and Run Game Coodinator the Bengals run game has been...

Having Lamar Jackson as your QB and the unique offense they run is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade or Pollack has done a good job but not sure it's a fair comparison. 

What were the run game stats without Jackson? I don't disagree that a change could be beneficial. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:59 PM)TheFan Wrote: Having Lamar Jackson as your QB and the unique offense they run is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade or Pollack has done a good job but not sure it's a fair comparison. 

What were the run game stats without Jackson? I don't disagree that a change could be beneficial. 

Remember those good Colin Kaepernick and Frank Gore years? That was Greg Roman too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:59 PM)TheFan Wrote: Having Lamar Jackson as your QB and the unique offense they run is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade or Pollack has done a good job but not sure it's a fair comparison. 

This year the Ravens averaged 163.7 rushing yards per game in the 6 games Jackson missed. That's MORE than the Ravens season total of 160.0, both would put them at 2nd in the NFL.

Last year the Ravens averaged 154.4 rushing yards per game in the 5 games Jackson missed. That's MORE than the Ravens season total of 145.8, which would actually move the from 3rd to 2nd in the NFL.

Reply/Quote
Lamar Jackson was their leading "rusher" every year. Roman did not facilitate a true rushing offense

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35481734/ravens-oc-greg-roman-resigns-amid-offense-declining-results

- - - - - -

as nice the thought is... Greg roman will likely be an OC on Lamars New Team...  Or another team with a strong running QB   (chicago?)

I doubt he take less than OC
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Remember those good Colin Kaepernick and Frank Gore years? That was Greg Roman too.

I wonder if there's anything in common between Jackson and Kaepernick...
Reply/Quote
I don't understand the fetish some folks have about the Bengals run game.

This just in: The Bengals are a passing team.
Reply/Quote

- - - - - -

Roman's scheme doesn't fit at all with the Bengals offense.  We are not moving Burrow back under center and replacing Chase, Tee, and Boyd with extra TE's and a true FB, nor are we going to expose Joe as much as we would need to as a runner to make it work.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Remember those good Colin Kaepernick and Frank Gore years? That was Greg Roman too.

Kaepernick, Huntley, and Jackson are similar players in terms of style. Burrow will never add the dynamic that any of them do to make the run game even remotely similar. 
Reply/Quote

- - - - - -

He'll probably go be little brother's Jim's OC at scUM the way big brother John has helped him the past couple years with other coaches.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 04:53 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't understand the fetish some folks have about the Bengals run game.  

This just in:  The Bengals are a passing team.

Mr Miyagi says balance is important
Reply/Quote

Also in Buffalo he had the league's best rushing offense for two straight years. 3 different locations where his running game has absolutely excelled.

I am not asking him to be the OC, I am just acknowledging that the guy always has a great running game, and the Bengals have almost never had one of those over the span of decades.

I think we can all agree that Frank Pollack isn't getting the job done.

(01-19-2023, 04:25 PM)pally Wrote: Lamar Jackson was their leading "rusher" every year.  Roman did not facilitate a true rushing offense

Lamar Jackson was their leading rusher because he took the rushing opportunities. They still had top rushing offenses even without Lamar.

Greg Roman in Buffalo..
'16: 1st overall, 1st per carry
'15: 1st overall, 1st per carry

LeSean McCoy fell off a cliff when he left, as did Mike Gillislee who looked great under Roman. It's not like Roman's running game has never had success without Lamar.

(01-19-2023, 04:53 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't understand the fetish some folks have about the Bengals run game.  

It's a fetish to not want to perenially have one of the worst rushing offenses in the NFL? I never said they need to have a top rushing offense, they are indeed a passing team, but they can't keep having a garbage running game. It'd probably do wonders to help the OL pass blocking too if defenses had to actually respect the run even marginally.

Reply/Quote

- - - - - -

I was just thinking about this in the other thread with Roman leaving the Ratbirds. Love this idea. Thinking Pollack should just stick 
to coaching the OL, too many minds yah know...
Reply/Quote
Here's a tweet from RGIII a few hours ago:

Greg Roman may be of the greatest run game tacticians I have ever been around at the NFL level. RBs and TEs love his system because they EAT. WRs absolutely hate it. That’s why free agent WRs didn’t want to go to or stay in Baltimore. It was never about Lamar Jackson.
Reply/Quote

Right, because having a solid rushing attack certainly wouldn't open things up in the passing game....

Let me guess, you play a lot of Madden.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:37 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Right, because having a solid rushing attack certainly wouldn't open things up in the passing game....

Let me guess, you play a lot of Madden.

I've tried playing Madden but I suck so i stick to WGT Golf.

I stand by my original post.  

A solid rushing attack wouldn't hurt, obviously, but to consider Greg Roman is about the dumbest idea i've seen in a while.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:32 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Here's a tweet from RGIII a few hours ago:

Greg Roman may be of the greatest run game tacticians I have ever been around at the NFL level. RBs and TEs love his system because they EAT. WRs absolutely hate it. That’s why free agent WRs didn’t want to go to or stay in Baltimore. It was never about Lamar Jackson.

Well yeah, that kind of takes him out of our thoughts. We need our WR's happy as can be.
Reply/Quote
The last time the Bengals had an above-average running game, Hue Jackson was the OC.
5th in rushing attempts (492)
6th in rushing yards (2147)
2nd in rushing TDs (19)
12th in YPC (4.4)

Jeremy Hill had 1124 yards and 9 TDs at 5.1 YPC.
Bernard complemented him with 680 yards and 5 TDs at 4.0 YPC himself.

It'd be great to get back to something like that.

I'll take a good passing attack and mediocre running attack over a strong rushing attack and mediocre passing attack any day though.
Running teams just never really seem to have as high of a ceiling unless they have a truly elite defense too, like SF does this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:42 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I've tried playing Madden but I suck so i stick to WGT Golf.

I stand by my original post.  

A solid rushing attack wouldn't hurt, obviously, but to consider Greg Roman is about the dumbest idea i've seen in a while.

Nobody is suggesting to make Roman the OC, but more as the OL coach and Running Game Coordinator.   Having a strong rushing game that defenses must respect will go miles to keeping Joe Burrow healthy for the long term, not to mention even more deadly as a passer.

Roman?  Isn't that the company that ad targets men with pattern baldness and ED solutions? 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote