Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Greg Roman, potential new Bengals run game coodinator?
(01-19-2023, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The last time the Bengals had an above-average running game, Hue Jackson was the OC.
5th in rushing attempts (492)
6th in rushing yards (2147)
2nd in rushing TDs (19)
12th in YPC (4.4)

Jeremy Hill had 1124 yards and 9 TDs at 5.1 YPC.
Bernard complemented him with 680 yards and 5 TDs at 4.0 YPC himself.

It'd be great to get back to something like that.

I'll take a good passing attack and mediocre running attack over a strong rushing attack and mediocre passing attack any day though.
Running teams just never really seem to have as high of a ceiling unless they have a truly elite defense too, like SF does this year.

Well I am sure we would of been a hell of a lot better this season if our starting OL played in the Preseason so they were on 
the same page earlier, if La'el didn't have a bad back and if we started right off the bat with the Gap scheme that these players
fit in instead of the Wide Zone which they clearly do not fit...

Sorry for the run on sentence lol
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well yeah, that kind of takes him out of our thoughts. We need our WR's happy as can be.

That's him as an offensive coordinator, though. He wouldn't be that here. This thread is about him strictly as just a run game coordinator so we could use his amazing run game mind to improve this offense, not completely change it to his.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's him as an offensive coordinator, though. He wouldn't be that here. This thread is about him strictly as just a run game coordinator so we could use his amazing run game mind to improve this offense, not completely change it to his.

True, then it is still a good thought isn't it TLL?  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:59 PM)TheFan Wrote: Having Lamar Jackson as your QB and the unique offense they run is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not saying he wouldn't be an upgrade or Pollack has done a good job but not sure it's a fair comparison. 

What were the run game stats without Jackson? I don't disagree that a change could be beneficial. 

I mean they just ran it pretty well against us without Jackson. ??‍♂️
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I am sure we would of been a hell of a lot better this season if our starting OL played in the Preseason so they were on 
the same page earlier, if La'el didn't have a bad back and if we started right off the bat with the Gap scheme that these players
fit in instead of the Wide Zone which they clearly do not fit...

Sorry for the run on sentence lol

Fair.

In weeks 1-8, the Bengals only had 100+ yards of rushing twice - The first Ravens and Steelers games.
In the 9 games after, the Bengals have had four 100+ rushing yard games - CAR, TEN, KC, CLE.

With that said, the running game has been abysmal ever since Collins went down.
Now you remove Cappa and Jonah too, and it could end up being really rough.
That's what happens though when you have so much of the OL decimated. Bengals probably have the worst starting OL of the remaining teams in the playoffs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The last time the Bengals had an above-average running game, Hue Jackson was the OC.
5th in rushing attempts (492)
6th in rushing yards (2147)
2nd in rushing TDs (19)
12th in YPC (4.4)

Jeremy Hill had 1124 yards and 9 TDs at 5.1 YPC.
Bernard complemented him with 680 yards and 5 TDs at 4.0 YPC himself.

It'd be great to get back to something like that.

I'll take a good passing attack and mediocre running attack over a strong rushing attack and mediocre passing attack any day though.
Running teams just never really seem to have as high of a ceiling unless they have a truly elite defense too, like SF does this year.

Agreed. The Bengals currently have a good passing attack and an absolutely terrible running attack. If we could get Roman to contribute a little just to bring the run game up to mediocre, this team's offense would be a juggernaut.

Until the running game can punish teams for playing two high safeties and bring one of them down, the passing attack will never reach it's full potential. It's what is holding them back from being a top-5 offense.

The Chiefs are a pretty good example. They're 20th in rushing and 8th in rushing per carry this year. Last year they were 16th in rushing and 7th in rushing per carry. You don't have to run a ton, but you ideally you should be productive when you do run.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 06:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair.

In weeks 1-8, the Bengals only had 100+ yards of rushing twice - The first Ravens and Steelers games.
In the 9 games after, the Bengals have had four 100+ rushing yard games - CAR, TEN, KC, CLE.

With that said, the running game has been abysmal ever since Collins went down.
Now you remove Cappa and Jonah too, and it could end up being really rough.
That's what happens though when you have so much of the OL decimated. Bengals probably have the worst starting OL of the remaining teams in the playoffs.

Probably.

It might be okay if Carman comes around, he could be a good run blocker for sure. That is his strength as we know. Also think 
Adeniji might be a better pass blocker than Collins. Scharping is a major fall off from Cappa though, Cappa was our best OL this 
year so that isn't a knock on Scharping who I have always liked.

Think this OL can be better than the one we had last Playoffs and SB so it might be all good, we will see.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 06:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Probably.

It might be okay if Carman comes around, he could be a good run blocker for sure. That is his strength as we know. Also think 
Adeniji might be a better pass blocker than Collins. Scharping is a major fall off from Cappa though, Cappa was our best OL this 
year so that isn't a knock on Scharping who I have always liked.

Think this OL can be better than the one we had last Playoffs and SB so it might be all good, we will see.

Meh.
They're about a push at best when it comes to pass blocking, but Adeniji is not good as a run blocker.
Adeniji has given up 10 pressures since taking over for Collins in just 3 games. That's 3.33 pressures per game on average.
That's over 50 pressures projected over an entire regular season.

Collins averaged about 1.0 less pressure per game than that over the course of the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 04:53 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I don't understand the fetish some folks have about the Bengals run game.

This just in: The Bengals are a passing team.

Let me summarize this post

“Having a bad running game is preferred because we have Burrow”
Reply/Quote
I’m sure he’ll get another job as an OC so this thread is kind of a moot point.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 03:43 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35481734/ravens-oc-greg-roman-resigns-amid-offense-declining-results

Got not-fired because Lamar Jackson isn't good at throwing the ball.

The Ravens' rushing offense rankings under Greg Roman...
'22: 2nd overall, 3rd per carry
'21: 3rd overall, 5th per carry
'20: 1st overall, 1st per carry
'19: 1st overall, 1st per carry

During that timespan they had 4 different RBs having seasons with 250+ yards at 5.0 or more YPC and another 3 with at least 4.2 YPC. Seemingly everyone they put back there has success.

- - - - - -

Frank Pollack is clearly not the answer. While he's the OL Coach and Run Game Coodinator the Bengals run game has been...
'22: 29th overall, 29th per carry
'21: 23rd overall, 26th per carry

They need to make a change and Roman could be a solution.

If we did hire Roman he would want us to draft 4 TE's this spring.

Reply/Quote
Not opposed to the hiring but don't think he would accept anything less than OC job.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 07:28 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If we did hire Roman he would want us to draft 4 TE's this spring.

And convert DJ Reader into a fullback.
Reply/Quote
While Greg Roman might not be the guy TheLeonardLeap brings up a good point.

The Bengals coaching staff has struggled to put in a good offensive run scheme. We arent talking about just bottom of the league bad but just schematicly awful looking. Everyone mentions gaps scheme now and that is likely the future but right now the run plays we are seeing are just to get to another passing play. Fours years in a row the Bengals try to install a run scheme and it just does not work in fact the only time the run offense looked semi reliable was the second half of 2019 under Jim Turner.

The Bengals definitely need to bring someone in the help build a rush offense. If everyone wants to see more go balls to Chase and Tee that starts by having a run offense. Just think with the defenses the Bengals are seeing we should be getting a ton of explosive run plays.... but we arent.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 07:45 PM)JumboTron Wrote: And convert DJ Reader into a fullback.

we used to use peko as a fullback.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2023, 09:59 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we used to use peko as a fullback.

Peko blowing up Polamalu:

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2023, 06:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Meh.
They're about a push at best when it comes to pass blocking, but Adeniji is not good as a run blocker.
Adeniji has given up 10 pressures since taking over for Collins in just 3 games. That's 3.33 pressures per game on average.
That's over 50 pressures projected over an entire regular season.

Collins averaged about 1.0 less pressure per game than that over the course of the season.

Have to take into account the pass rushers he has went against, but that isn't good by Adeniji by any means.
Reply/Quote