Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gresham is visiting the Saints
(06-04-2015, 01:12 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Gresh signs with NO, I'd be willing to make a sig bet (for fun) that this won't happen.

He's just too inconsistent as a pass catcher. 

Is his inconsistent pass catching due to his ability, or is part of it, Dalton sailing passes high instead of sticking them on the numbers like Brees will do for him?

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/report-jermaine-gresham-visiting-saints/

I'm hoping he signs, because it's possibly the best situation for a TE in the NFL. They pass more than any team and Graham put up monster numbers there.

Can't wait to see how Gresh does. I know a lot of folks thought our system held him back. If he signs with the Saints, we'll see about that.

I wish him the best.  I don't think he was a good fit for us, and I hope he can clean up his penalties, but I hope he catches on and does well somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
I have never understood the level of bashing Gresham has received here.

You might as well hate on Marvin Jones too.

His numbers were padded by one Jets game that he abused Milner in.

other than that he disappeared quite frequently with Sanu.

Who BTW is a lot worse at target per catch ratio.

I'm not trying to deflect here and realize Gresham was a first round pick.

I'm just trying to say if you're going to point out underperformance and bad technique there are others who are just as much deserving.

Also look at some of the bums this team keeps giving extensions to and guys past their prime getting overpaid.

JG was the least of their problems and could have been had at a decent price.

Brad you need to lay off the Crack pipe my friend.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 12:42 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It'll be interesting to see for sure. Can Payton coach the inconsistency and focus problems out of him? Those were his issues that held him back, not softness.

And how to cover up when getting tackled. But I don't think his focus problems can be totally gotten rid of.

If they can he could be a very, very, good TE. There are reasons virtually no team has shown any interest and they're from the neck up with Gresh.
Reply/Quote
If Drew Brees is healthy and Gresham plays at least 700 snaps next year, I'd wager on 800 yards/7 TDs.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/report-jermaine-gresham-visiting-saints/

I'm hoping he signs, because it's possibly the best situation for a TE in the NFL. They pass more than any team and Graham put up monster numbers there.

Can't wait to see how Gresh does. I know a lot of folks thought our system held him back. If he signs with the Saints, we'll see about that.

Sounds like hes healing up okay..

Good Luck Gresham.
Reply/Quote
Gresham isn't "soft". Blocking was one of his strengths and dude was almost impossible to tackle at times (to his detriment because he was prone to being stripped).

My problems with him were mostly upstairs. Physically he's a beast.
Reply/Quote
I question Greshams ability to fill Grahams role on that offense... Not from a physical aspect, cause I think he has the tools, but just from a mental one.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/03/report-jermaine-gresham-visiting-saints/

Good luck to him. He used to frustrate the hell outta me with his penalties and fumbles. It will be interesting to see if he does sign with the Saints if Sean Peyton puts up with his antics. Also, do we get a compensatory pick if he signs with the Saints? I think so.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2015, 11:43 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Too soft, in my opinion, and can't block well (although he might not need to in that offense).

I think the Saints offense would be too uptempo for him and cause more mistakes, like fumbles.

I've been wrong before, though, so who knows.

Where does the "too soft" stuff come from (Lap, needs to grow a pair and own up to the fact that he was playing injured last year)? JG is a very good blocker in both the pass and run. I don't know why you soured on him, the Bengals didn't use JG correctly and make him a part of your "unstoppable" offense that you dreamed up.

Another thing, JG's Yards after Catch makes up over half of his yards per catch. He was actually in the top 10 2 years ago in this category, this is a category that is typically dominated by deep threat WR's.

He had 3 fumbles last year, how many did the other team get and also cut way down on his penalties as well.

I'd also like to point out that Oklahoma ran a much more up-tempo offense than the Bengals ever have, in fact, Bradford was the QB and we did a lot of no huddle, shotgun up-tempo offense, which is why Chip Kelly traded for Bradford. If SB stays healthy all year, he will finish in the top 5.

Personally, I think ML is a man of many many many many brain farts.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 02:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is his inconsistent pass catching due to his ability, or is part of it, Dalton sailing passes high instead of sticking them on the numbers like Brees will do for him?

His main problem seemed to be either issue with false starts.. or holding onto the ball once he had it.

(or inconsistent pass catching like his wiff vs NE last year in the endzone)
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: His main problem seemed to be either issue with false starts.. or holding onto the ball once he had it.

(or inconsistent pass catching like his wiff vs NE last year in the endzone)

New Orelans wants him so he can't  fumble kick any more TD's past their D and recover them in the endzone again.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:18 PM)Steeler Eater Wrote: New Orelans wants him so he can't  fumble kick any more TD's past their D and recover them in the endzone again.

Lol yeah.. Its turned out good i didnt think you could kick the ball forward and then recover it. (on a non kicking play)
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 01:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Lol yeah.. Its turned out good i didnt think you could kick the ball forward and then recover it. (on a non kicking play)

Refs forgot which football they were watching I suppose. 
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 10:16 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Gresham isn't "soft".  Blocking was one of his strengths and dude was almost impossible to tackle at times (to his detriment because he was prone to being stripped).

Agree very much with this assessment.
Reply/Quote
Best case for us is they pass on him, he heals up until mid-season and then we can call on him if we're in dire straights a la Chris Crocker of old. I know a lot of people think those bridges are burned, but necessity and opportunity can build new ones.

And I'm not saying we're for sure need him, I just like having the option.

Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 02:02 AM)J24 Wrote: How about 900 and 8? To make it closer to 1000 and split the difference.
If he misses more than 2 games we can average it out.

Oh yeah. I'll take that bet for sure. Just keep this thread in mind is Gresh signs with the Saints.

(06-04-2015, 02:39 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is his inconsistent pass catching due to his ability, or is part of it, Dalton sailing passes high instead of sticking them on the numbers like Brees will do for him?

Yeah Gresh only drops the ones he has to leap for.  Rolleyes

And Dalton sails every throw.  Rolleyes

(06-04-2015, 06:10 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I have never understood the level of bashing Gresham has received here.

You might as well hate on Marvin Jones too.

His numbers were padded by one Jets game that he abused Milner in.

other than that he disappeared quite frequently with Sanu.

Who BTW is a lot worse at target per catch ratio.

I'm not trying to deflect here and realize Gresham was a first round pick.

I'm just trying to say if you're going to point out underperformance and bad technique there are others who are just as much deserving.

I wouldn't call it hate, at least not on my part. I just view Gresham as an average player. He has talent to be better but just could never put it together. At this point in his career, I doubt he can be any better than what we've seen. 

I've actually been tough on all the other players you mention as well, even though they aren't as deep into their careers as Gresh. I think MLJ and especially Sanu have been overrated by some of us.

(06-04-2015, 12:03 PM)Beaker Wrote: Good luck to him. He used to frustrate the hell outta me with his penalties and fumbles. It will be interesting to see if he does sign with the Saints if Sean Peyton puts up with his antics. Also, do we get a compensatory pick if he signs with the Saints? I think so.

I've read that we won't get any compensatory picks for Gresh because he's signing after the deadline for compensation.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Gresham got dogged over the fumbles, dropped passes and probably above all the penalties at the worst possible time. It just seemed like he had a problem staying focused on where he was and what he was doing.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 12:42 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It'll be interesting to see for sure. Can Payton coach the inconsistency and focus problems out of him? Those were his issues that held him back, not softness.
Exactly. Yeah it will be interesting. If Gresham is healthy, that is whatt the Saints would
need to concentrate on most cause he is an excellent and willing blocker when healthy
and a very adequate receiver.

I say he does well if he is healthy in that system.

Still, i like that we let him go and drafted Kroft instead. Too much bad blood here it seemed
and we needed a more consistent player for Dalton and the gang.
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 03:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly. Yeah it will be interesting. If Gresham is healthy, that is whatt the Saints would
need to concentrate on most cause he is an excellent and willing blocker when healthy
and a very adequate receiver.

I say he does well if he is healthy in that system.

Still, i like that we let him go and drafted Kroft instead. Too much bad blood here it seemed
and we needed a more consistent player for Dalton and the gang.

I think we might actually miss the guy...then again, I thought the Steelers would miss San Antonio Holmes.
Reply/Quote