Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gruden to resign
Gruden is tossing in the towel

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Too funny. They’ll say he resigned because of the emails but you know he’s tapping out cuz his team is terrible.

They’ve really done a great job of wasting talent down there in LV. If there was any belief in Carr it’s all but dead now.
Reply/Quote
And this from Chapelle’s new Netflix special:

“DaBaby shot and killed a [man] in Walmart in North Carolina. Nothing bad happened to his career," he continued. "Do you see where I'm going with this? In our country, you can shoot and kill a [man], but you better not hurt a gay person's feelings."

Sucks to lose your job over something you said ten years ago, but that’s where we are today.
Reply/Quote
Andy Reid has a coach on his staff get drunk at the football facility and gets into an accident that leaves a girl brain dead.  Yet gets zero punishment from the NFL but yet Gruden says a couple of bad words 7 years ago is forced to resign. This culture really sucks.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Meh, unless you are retired, or hit the lottery, or work for yourself you're wise to play it safe with the things you say and do. When you put stuff like Gruden did "out there" particularly in today's digital world, you're putting your fate in the hands of others.

I've known people who said stuff along the lines of what Gruden did, but they're not one of the main faces of a 3 billion dollar business, either. Fair or not, when you work for someone else you have to know your place and shut your mouth, I guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:24 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: And this from Chapelle’s new Netflix special:

“DaBaby shot and killed a [man] in Walmart in North Carolina. Nothing bad happened to his career," he continued. "Do you see where I'm going with this? In our country, you can shoot and kill a [man], but you better not hurt a gay person's feelings."

Sucks to lose your job over something you said ten years ago, but that’s where we are today.
You know the old saying. 

If you can't do the time, don't be a racist, homophobic, sexist ssshole.

It's not an elegant saying, but it carries a strong message. 
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You know the old saying. 

If you can't do the time, don't be a racist, homophobic, sexist ssshole.

Racism was still cool in the early 2010s tho
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:38 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You know the old saying. 

If you can't do the time, don't be a racist, homophobic, sextist ssshole.

You are free to be a racist, homophobic, sexist asshole who uses derogatory terms to slag on Roger Goddell....whether you can be that and work in the NFL is another matter. 
Reply/Quote
Who would make up the NFL Cancelled franchise?

Owner - Dan Synder (almost cancelled, there is time) or Donald Sterling entering a new sport
Head Coach - Jon Gruden
QB - Colin Kaepernick
RB - Ray Rice
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:27 PM)J24 Wrote: Andy Reid has a coach on his staff get drunk at the football facility and gets into an accident that leaves a girl brain dead.  Yet gets zero punishment from the NFL but yet Gruden says a couple of bad words 7 years ago is forced to resign. This culture really sucks.

The coach was Andy Reid's son....
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The coach was Andy Reid's son....

I remember the day when my ol' man informed me that he didn't have the power nor money for me to get away with stuff, so I'd be wise to play it safe.  

Oh, and Gruden said players who took a knee during the anthem should be fired, so he's clearly a man who supports cancelling someone when it fits his narrative.  But the bottom line is that referring to your boss as a (female anatomy) and (f-word slur for gay) isn't a great idea.
Reply/Quote
Documented evidence of Gruden being an absolute shit person towards people of color, LGBT and women.

"Hurr durr cancel culture bad."

F*** him.
Reply/Quote
understand him stepping down to avoid hurting his team as they started well

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/11/jon-gruden-i-have-resigned-as-head-coach-i-love-the-raiders-and-dont-want-to-be-a-distraction/

but if people getting fired for things they say in private then the world is in trouble
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 12:23 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Documented evidence of Gruden being an absolute shit person towards people of color, LGBT and women.

"Hurr durr cancel culture bad."

F*** him.

The "cancel culture" rhetoric is getting so tired...

Like, imagine you walk up to your boss and call him a stupid f****t. Are you being "cancelled" if he fires you? 

It's just the most lazy and bullshit analysis and it has become so common place today because, turns out, people don't like being fired even when they deserve it.

(10-12-2021, 09:06 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: understand him stepping down to avoid hurting his team as they started well

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/11/jon-gruden-i-have-resigned-as-head-coach-i-love-the-raiders-and-dont-want-to-be-a-distraction/

but if people getting fired for things they say in private then the world is in trouble

He wasn't fired for saying something in private. He was only fired when his private emails became public. If you're sending emails to people (within the business setting of the NFL, mind you) and they're found out, why is the world in trouble if people get fired for that?

Imagine I sent an email to my co-worker on company time saying "My boss is a gay loser who needs to stop being such a *****," is it your opinion that, if that email were shared (whether by my co-worker or some other method that companies track their employee's activity), my boss should not have the right to fire me?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 09:06 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: but if people getting fired for things they say in private then the world is in trouble

He sent emails complaining and insulting his boss and other employees of his organization to a company email address.  If he were a millennial and his boss canned him for talking shit about him people would be applauding the organization for tossing someone who "doesn't know his place and to keep his mouth shut" out on his ass.

The world is in trouble if you can't use a company email to insult one of the people who signs your checks? And the internet isn't private. Don't send nudes of yourself, don't write stuff you wouldn't want your mother to read, and so on and so forth. This is internet #101 stuff, here.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2021, 10:24 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: And this from Chapelle’s new Netflix special:

This.

...and like I said in the other Gruden thread, what he said wasn't inherently racist. He did not say "all black people have big lips". He said Smith had big lips. Saying that statement is racist ironically implies that YOU believe all black people have big lips, which would make you the racist.

If Smith said Gruden had thin lips or a big nose, or called him freckle-face, would we automatically attach it to race? Of course not. I miss when the word "racism" actually had meaning behind it. Now almost anything can be linked to racism. They're usually very shoddy links, but here we are.

What Gruden said was scummy, but not necessarily racism...and tbh, why is racism any worse than any other form of being an a-hole to other human beings? We should all just work on being nicer to other humans in general.

Part of that includes forgiveness. Because humans are prone to sin, and prone to mistakes. That's what makes us human.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Regardless if these were supposed to be private or he didn't mean them to sound like they did or whatever, he should never have said them to begin with and good that he resigned. Really that simple for me.

[Image: UahsiIk.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2021, 06:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This.

...and like I said in the other Gruden thread, what he said wasn't inherently racist. He did not say "all black people have big lips". He said Smith had big lips. Saying that statement is racist ironically implies that YOU believe all black people have big lips, which would make you the racist.

If Smith said Gruden had thin lips or a big nose, or called him freckle-face, would we automatically attach it to race? Of course not. I miss when the word "racism" actually had meaning behind it. Now almost anything can be linked to racism. They're usually very shoddy links, but here we are.

What Gruden said was scummy, but not necessarily racism...and tbh, why is racism any worse than any other form of being an a-hole to other human beings? We should all just work on being nicer to other humans in general.

Part of that includes forgiveness. Because humans are prone to sin, and prone to mistakes. That's what makes us human.

Part of making this world a nicer more accepting place could be holding people like Jon Gruden accountable for years of spewing hate.  The guy lost his job, it's not like he's being publicly executed.

You can lose your job and still be forgiven as a human being can't you?  Our society is based around transgressions being punished and then the concept of reconciliation and rehabilitation taking place.  

But as others have pointed out, this isn't about one email where he made a bad joke about a black guy but about years of communication on company email where he slagged on his co-workers, bosses, and the overall culture and direction of the NFL that he didn't want to see.  The guy was a toxic employee and those people get fired all the time.  If he's so furious about the gay acceptance and safety measures of the NFL he can take his talents elsewhere.  This is no longer Jon Gruden's NFL, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 10:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Part of making this world a nicer more accepting place could be holding people like Jon Gruden accountable for years of spewing hate.  The guy lost his job, it's not like he's being publicly executed.

You can lose your job and still be forgiven as a human being can't you?  Our society is based around transgressions being punished and then the concept of reconciliation and rehabilitation taking place.  

But as others have pointed out, this isn't about one email where he made a bad joke about a black guy but about years of communication on company email where he slagged on his co-workers, bosses, and the overall culture and direction of the NFL that he didn't want to see.  The guy was a toxic employee and those people get fired all the time.  If he's so furious about the gay acceptance and safety measures of the NFL he can take his talents elsewhere.  This is no longer Jon Gruden's NFL, I guess.

Which "company" email are you talking about? He wasn't working for the NFL and I am not sure whether or not he used his Disney/ESPN email. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2021, 12:47 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Which "company" email are you talking about? He wasn't working for the NFL and I am not sure whether or not he used his Disney/ESPN email. 

I think the issue is he sent stuff to that guy who worked for Washington and the emails were looked into during the NFL looking into that organization's own issues.  

I find it odd that people are so amazed a man can get fired for repeatedly insulting his employers.
Reply/Quote