Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard Play - Westerman and Redmond
Both played well today at LG in the rotation.....yet again we see Marvins refusal to play the young guys...........from what we saw today either look more than capable.....I realize this is a one game sample but not bad for their debut.....

Also the shear size of Westerman is mind blowing, the guy is HUGE......

Be interested to see what the left side of the line graded out at today......

ALEX REDMOND84.2 OVERALL GRADE - GOOD

In the most extended action of Redmond’s young career, the second-year guard impressed. He rotated in on 48 snaps and didn’t allow a single pressure. Redmond was also the highest-graded run blocker on the Bengals’ offensive line on the day.

LT CLINT BOLING39.9 OVERALL GRADE - NOT GOOD

Boling is not the solution at left tackle for the Bengals anytime soon. He allowed a sack, a hit, and two pressures on the day along with a handful of other losses in pass protection.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
GGotta give Boling a bit of a break being his first game at tackle, but yeah, probably not the answer there..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 10:21 PM)corpjet Wrote: Both played well today at LG in the rotation.....yet again we see Marvins refusal to play the young guys...........from what we saw today either look more than capable.....I realize this is a one game sample but not bad for their debut.....

Also the shear size of Westerman is mind blowing, the guy is HUGE......

Be interested to see what the left side of the line graded out at today......

ALEX REDMOND84.2 OVERALL GRADE - GOOD

In the most extended action of Redmond’s young career, the second-year guard impressed. He rotated in on 48 snaps and didn’t allow a single pressure. Redmond was also the highest-graded run blocker on the Bengals’ offensive line on the day.

LT CLINT BOLING39.9 OVERALL GRADE - NOT GOOD

Boling is not the solution at left tackle for the Bengals anytime soon. He allowed a sack, a hit, and two pressures on the day along with a handful of other losses in pass protection.

Well, let's not forget that they were playing against one of the lesser defenses in the league..  It was a perfect day to experiment with newbs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope MB was not listening to Chris Spielman..He was up Bodine's ass all day long!!
Reply/Quote
I loved being proved right to myself.. I knew Marvin should of tinkered with the o line. Really we only have two bad o lineman . Bodine and ced. Why wasn't westerman or boling trained to be a center. I'm sure one of them could of learned it. Then we could upgrade the middle. We don't have a guard problem . We need just one left tackle to replace whit. Because ced is a turnstile and soft.
Reply/Quote
Even lapham said they were moving guys . He was shocked by it i think.
Reply/Quote
Today proved one thing, ced is terrible... Boling can play better LT and he practiced it for what.. a week... Draft LT and RT and we good, but draft em high.
Reply/Quote
With any luck Bodine leaves via free agency, but I have a hunch they're going to sign him again and keep the middle soft and keep the 'numb-er 1 pick' at LT ..Westerman and Redmond will remain on da bench because that's just how our Bungles roll..like 4 flat tires uphill being pushed with a rope.. Go team..rah rah and uhmmm...rah.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
To quote Lap on the radio broadcast: "Why the hell haven't these guys been playing all year?"
Sadly, we all know why.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 04:22 AM)ah5 Wrote: Today proved one thing, ced is terrible... Boling can play better LT and he practiced it for what.. a week...  Draft LT and RT and we good, but draft em high.

yeah but give OG a break.  its his fitst year playing left tackle,  he has quick feet n will only get better.  just kidding he ***** sucks balls n needs to be cut. Bodine is worse. both should be flipping burgers
Reply/Quote
We also saw line play that wasn't passive.

I know it's the Lions... but derp. It actually worked.

Just try to convince me that this mouth breather doesn't survive on a healthy dose of his own boogers.

[Image: th?id=OIP.4l_k-ZGeNNoKzDzUGFkqgAHaE8&pid...=269&h=180]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As I've said before, I've wanted to see Westerman get his shot as he is undefeated in the boxing ring. Boxing is not football, but that tells me he has the aggressiveness and the toughness the rest of the line (outside of Boling) is missing.
Reply/Quote
I thought Westerman and Redmond played very well. I give Boling a pass playing out of position with only 1 week to practice. But the Bengals had a decent day in the running game against a team that was fighting to make the playoffs. Hopefully the new coach will see the potential in these guys and do right by them.

On the other hand, I think AJ Green has had the worst stretch of his career over the last 4-5 games. In fact, he has played relatively poorly all season. Sure, he has mde some good catches, but I have never seen him have as many drops and tipped balls that resulted in INTs as he has had this season. And they were not all bad throws....he has had some hit him right in the hands and in stride. That deep ball that went off his facemask yesterday was an example. It was a ball that was definitely catchable. He just did not adjust like he used to.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 11:42 AM)Sled21 Wrote: As I've said before, I've wanted to see Westerman get his shot as he is undefeated in the boxing ring. Boxing is not football, but that tells me he has the aggressiveness and the toughness the rest of the line (outside of Boling) is missing.

Western looks like a bad a$$ and the perfect guard for AFC hard nosed football......def wouldn't want to run into him in a bar fight....love his "edge" and I think he could bring a lot to this front.......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Why did we have to wait so long to see these two, I would say a personality conflict but Paul doesn't appear to have one. Just saying.
Reply/Quote
Redmond looked like our best guard in PreSeason soooo....................
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 11:39 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Redmond looked like our best guard in PreSeason soooo....................

sooo, naturally he's going to be buried on the inactive list for the first 14 games of the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 10:38 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: yeah but give OG a break.  its his fitst year playing left tackle,  he has quick feet n will only get better.  just kidding he ***** sucks balls n needs to be cut. Bodine is worse. both should be flipping burgers

I dont even know how bodine is on a roster let alone starting.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2017, 12:38 PM)Beaker Wrote: I thought Westerman and Redmond played very well. I give Boling a pass playing out of position with only 1 week to practice. But the Bengals had a decent day in the running game against a team that was fighting to make the playoffs. Hopefully the new coach will see the potential in these guys and do right by them.

On the other hand, I think AJ Green has had the worst stretch of his career over the last 4-5 games. In fact, he has played relatively poorly all season. Sure, he has mde some good catches, but I have never seen him have as many drops and tipped balls that resulted in INTs as he has had this season. And they were not all bad throws....he has had some hit him right in the hands and in stride. That deep ball that went off his facemask yesterday was an example. It was a ball that was definitely catchable. He just did not adjust like he used to.

Been thinking about AJ's issues lately as well.  After that ball hit his facemask it got me wondering about his eyes.  I played ball (baseball) an my game really deteriorated about the same age because my eyesight continued to worsen.  I realize it's a different game but just seeing some of what I'm seeing out of AJ it makes me think he's not gauging the ball well.

Think he needs to see the eye doctor - or maybe one that's not on the Bengals medical staff!
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 10:58 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Been thinking about AJ's issues lately as well.  After that ball hit his facemask it got me wondering about his eyes.  I played ball (baseball) an my game really deteriorated about the same age because my eyesight continued to worsen.  I realize it's a different game but just seeing some of what I'm seeing out of AJ it makes me think he's not gauging the ball well.

Think he needs to see the eye doctor - or maybe one that's not on the Bengals medical staff!

Interesting point.  I had a lot of problems losing the ball as a right handed batter....I don't really know why, although I found out later in life that I had astigmatism.....I started switch hitting in practice during my first season of Babe Ruth.  By my second year, I was a full time lefty.  I had always had problems striking out from the right side of the plate, and pulling the ball.  As a lefty, my Ks were cut by around 75%, I could spray the ball all over the field, and even found better power, especially pulling the ball down the line.  You could be on to something.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote