Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard Play - Westerman and Redmond
It’s Christmas so I’ll say something nice about Paul Alexander: The late season change to directional run blocking was terrific and we saw Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard benefit from it...

...but that outdated 1970s-era pass blocking is, in the words of the great philosopher Charles Barkley, “turrible.” It’s going to shorten Andy Dalton’s career just as sure as it drove Carson Palmer out of town.

You don’t select a great group of the best Hollywood studio musicians to record the soundtrack for the next big epic movie and pick the music director from “Hee Haw” to put it all together.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 01:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s Christmas so I’ll say something nice about Paul Alexander:  The late season change to directional run blocking was terrific and we saw Joe Mixon and Giovani Bernard benefit from it...

...but that outdated 1970s-era pass blocking is, in the words of the great philosopher Charles Barkley, “turrible.”  It’s going to shorten Andy Dalton’s career just as sure as it drove Carson Palmer out of town.

You don’t select a great group of the best Hollywood studio musicians to record the soundtrack for the next big epic movie and pick the music director from “Hee Haw” to put it all together.

We'll have none of that here good sir......... Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2017, 10:21 PM)corpjet Wrote: Both played well today at LG in the rotation.....yet again we see Marvins refusal to play the young guys...........from what we saw today either look more than capable.....I realize this is a one game sample but not bad for their debut.....

Also the shear size of Westerman is mind blowing, the guy is HUGE......

Be interested to see what the left side of the line graded out at today......

ALEX REDMOND84.2 OVERALL GRADE - GOOD

In the most extended action of Redmond’s young career, the second-year guard impressed. He rotated in on 48 snaps and didn’t allow a single pressure. Redmond was also the highest-graded run blocker on the Bengals’ offensive line on the day.

LT CLINT BOLING39.9 OVERALL GRADE - NOT GOOD

Boling is not the solution at left tackle for the Bengals anytime soon. He allowed a sack, a hit, and two pressures on the day along with a handful of other losses in pass protection.

This is what i wanted to see, the young guys get a shot. As i am sure others have said have to give Boling a pass for his
first start at LT, he really helped out Redmond according to his own words. This is just another reason Marv and PA have
to go, they always wait to long too play the young, more talented players it seems. I am sure there are exceptions but..

It is not like these coaches have not seen these guys in practice the last few years. Both Redmond and Westerman have
looked pretty impressive everytime i have watched them unlike Hopkins who they started over these guys to the detriment
of the team once again.

BTW, i think you are talking about Redmond looking huge, he has like 30 pounds on the smaller Westerman.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 01:49 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: You don’t select a great group of the best Hollywood studio musicians to record the soundtrack for the next big epic movie and pick the music director from “Hee Haw” to put it all together.

You'd better not be badmouthing Roy Clark in these parts.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2017, 12:29 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I will give Boling a bit of a pass moving to LT against Ansah....but this is yet another example of Marv being a dick.  Westerman and Redmond should have been competing for C and G all season.  Sticking with the status quo and just saying stupid things like "we have to be better" is begging for failure.  Mission accomplished, Marv, you douche. 

Hopkins outplayed everyone at Right Guard in preseason and Boling was set at Left guard.. Center possible but no way Redmond is starting at center to start the year, too raw coming into the season. not sure if Westerman could play center.. The bottom line Redmond has improved through the year this is what happens sometimes with young players they do get better and at a point can contribute and hopefully he can show that against the Ravens and we might have found a nice FA find... 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hopkins outplayed everyone at Right Guard in preseason and Boling was set at Left guard.. Center possible but no way Redmond is starting at center to start the year, too raw coming into the season. not sure if Westerman could play center.. The bottom line Redmond has improved through the year this is what happens sometimes with young players they do get better and at a point can contribute and hopefully he can show that against the Ravens and we might have found a nice FA find... 

Westerman has played well the last two Preseasons though Essex and when Hopkins went down we never even saw
him until now. Westerman was projected at being a G/C and i have to believe that PA was just playing favorites with
Bodine and that is the reason we have never seen Westerman there.

I think the bottom line is that PA plays favorites and neither one of these guys were one of them or they would of
played by now. The RG's in front of them have been anything but impressive.
Reply/Quote
PA has backed Bodine from the get go, and wouldn't admit it when he's plays poorly. I think both boys played better than Smith and Hopkins. If he doesn't leave, maybe they will get picked up where they can play.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:58 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: PA has backed Bodine from the get go, and wouldn't admit it when he's plays poorly. I think both boys played better than Smith and Hopkins.  If he doesn't  leave, maybe they will get picked up where they can play.

True on PA's favoritism for Bodine.

PA better be gone or like Bengal Rocker said i will flip my shit. Shocked

Lots of us fans will.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 04:19 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Hopkins outplayed everyone at Right Guard in preseason and Boling was set at Left guard.. Center possible but no way Redmond is starting at center to start the year, too raw coming into the season. not sure if Westerman could play center.. The bottom line Redmond has improved through the year this is what happens sometimes with young players they do get better and at a point can contribute and hopefully he can show that against the Ravens and we might have found a nice FA find... 

I don't think Hopkins had much in the way of experience coming in to this season, and he was injured in preseason???
Reply/Quote