Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther
Needs to be HC... I didn't like him initially but I now see its Marvin who is handcuffing him. He might be the only coach holding his players accountable. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
No. We need new blood.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:30 PM)Big Boss Wrote: No. We need new blood.
I completely agree. I'll give the OP this much... I wouldn't mind if Guenther were retained in his current role. Darren Simmons can stay too. The rest of ya'll can kick rocks though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:27 PM)ah5 Wrote: Needs to be HC... I didn't like him initially but I now see its Marvin who is handcuffing him.  He might be the only coach holding his players accountable. Thoughts?

Throw everyone to the curb except Duke Tobin.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 06:27 PM)ah5 Wrote: Needs to be HC... I didn't like him initially but I now see its Marvin who is handcuffing him.  He might be the only coach holding his players accountable. Thoughts?

No ****** way, are you serious? our players on D have picked up where they left off in the playoffs, just a bunch of thugs. I know they played well enough today to win but that first scoring drive by Buff was pathetic. The players didnt even try, the FIRST freakin drive. I would never watch another game if he was the one to replace Marvin. None of these players fear these coach's. None of them.
Reply/Quote

Being an old fan I recall players having the same lack of passion and effort as they seem to have now. The Bengals fired their head coach and brought in a butt kicker named Forrest Gregg. Players whined and cried in training camp . One or two left the team because of his fire. He simply re shaped the attitude of the players and they were soon in the Super Bowl! We need to follow this plan again. I suggest Coughlin. He's won two Super Bowls and he is a butt kicker. The players will either perform or be gone. Hope that's the direction of the Bengals in the off season.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 07:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Throw everyone to the curb except Duke Tobin.

I think the shine has come off him a bit too. Our drafting has been pretty bad in recent years. 

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 07:31 PM)TKUHL Wrote: No ****** way, are you serious? our players on D have picked up where they left off in the playoffs, just a bunch of thugs. I know they played well enough today to win but that first scoring drive by Buff was pathetic. The players didnt even try, the FIRST freakin drive. I would never watch another game if he was the one to replace Marvin. None of these players fear these coach's. None of them.
Totally agree!
Isn't this the second game in a row that the D played like they were still in the locker room on the opponent's first drive? The inability to have the D ready and snarling to go is on the DC and HC. So NO to promoting Paulie!!!
Reply/Quote
Guenther could stay in his current role, but we need new blood at HC. An offensive mind.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'll give Guenther one more year. Hell, I'll let him hire any position coach he wants for next year to ensure he runs the defense he wants. If they continue to regress, he's gone.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 09:32 PM)Derrick Wrote: Totally agree!
Isn't this the second game in a row that the D played like they were still in the locker room on the opponent's first drive? The inability to have the D ready and snarling to go is on the DC and HC. So NO to promoting Paulie!!!

This is my point though, the last couple weeks is the first time I've started to think that Marv is running the show on D and not letting PG do anything about his players. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 11:25 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I'll give Guenther one more year. Hell, I'll let him hire any position coach he wants for next year to ensure he runs the defense he wants. If they continue to regress, he's gone.
The defense gave up 16 points.  The offense is the fungus amongus.
Reply/Quote
The fans sounded downright hostile today, and it's only going to get worse as this team slogs through the remainder of a lost season without their best player. Although the Brown family has never been about appeasing the fans, minus a Bratkowski canning here and a Breshnahan dumping there, they'll need to act this offseason.

I feel like promoting Guenther would be a huge mistake for this organization. It will suck the air out of the fan base, who will see it as no change at all. Someone new needs to come in and take over. This group has zero discipline and zero motivation under the current staff.

Ticket sales after a 4 or 5 win season will be dismal, and that will be a motivating factor for the family, no matter how stubborn they are. They have an opportunity here to get people invested again. A new coach from the outside could do exactly that.

Keeping Marvin or promoting from with in will guarantee empty seats in 2017.
Reply/Quote
Boy if you don't....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:24 AM)samhain Wrote: The fans sounded downright hostile today, and it's only going to get worse as this team slogs through the remainder of a lost season without their best player.  Although the Brown family has never been about appeasing the fans, minus a Bratkowski canning here and a Breshnahan dumping there, they'll need to act this offseason.

I feel like promoting Guenther would be a huge mistake for this organization.  It will suck the air out of the fan base, who will see it as no change at all.  Someone new needs to come in and take over.  This group has zero discipline and zero motivation under the current staff.

Ticket sales after a 4 or 5 win season will be dismal, and that will be a motivating factor for the family, no matter how stubborn they are.  They have an opportunity here to get people invested again.  A new coach from the outside could do exactly that.  

Keeping Marvin or promoting from with in will guarantee empty seats in 2017.

Spot on analysis. This coaching staff is stinkin' up the house and you gotta air it out. I think fans would really appreciate it if Brown made a statement firing after today but we know thats not how he operates. I don't think keeping Guenther around would be as bad as keeping Alexander around I certainly think canning Alexander at this point would be warranted and would show the fans that the organization recognizes where some of the issues are.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:50 AM)treee Wrote: Spot on analysis. This coaching staff is stinkin' up the house and you gotta air it out. I think fans would really appreciate it if Brown made a statement firing after today but we know thats not how he operates. I don't think keeping Guenther around would be as bad as keeping Alexander around I certainly think canning Alexander at this point would be warranted and would show the fans that the organization recognizes where some of the issues are.

I wouldn't mind if Guenther remained on staff as DC.  I'd still want all of the assistants shitcanned in short order on that side of the ball, but keeping Paulie isn't a deal breaker.  I just oppose the idea of him becoming the HC.  

Fans look at the Zampese move and the return of Coyle as lazy moves typical of how the team is perceived to operate, and a Guenther promotion would be viewed similarly.  He would have to succeed massively right out of the gate to keep any fans on board.  They weren't selling tickets that well when this looked like a Super Bowl contender last year.  A move like that coupled with early struggles would be the key to another generation of lost fans much like the 90s.  Plus, you know damn well he'd get at least a few years to flail and embarrass himself before they replaced him, which would only make things worse.

I do wonder what would happen with him if Joseph was hired as HC.  Would Guenther accept a boss that was his subordinate just 2 seasons ago leapfrogging him for the HC job?  I doubt it.  

I'm not as pissy about Alexander as some. He bears some responsibility for this season, but his record is pretty strong over the years. I really just think Tobin and the people who evaluate talent (of which Alexander is one) collectively blew it with Ogbuehi and Fisher. I think they just suck so bad that no degree of coaching was going to make them successful NFL tackles.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:59 AM)samhain Wrote: I wouldn't mind if Guenther remained on staff as DC.  I'd still want all of the assistants shitcanned in short order on that side of the ball, but keeping Paulie isn't a deal breaker.  I just oppose the idea of him becoming the HC.  

Fans look at the Zampese move and the return of Coyle as lazy moves typical of how the team is perceived to operate, and a Guenther promotion would be viewed similarly.  He would have to succeed massively right out of the gate to keep any fans on board.  They weren't selling tickets that well when this looked like a Super Bowl contender last year.  A move like that coupled with early struggles would be the key to another generation of lost fans much like the 90s.  Plus, you know damn well he'd get at least a few years to flail and embarrass himself before they replaced him, which would only make things worse.

I do wonder what would happen with him if Joseph was hired as HC.  Would Guenther accept a boss that was his subordinate just 2 seasons ago leapfrogging him for the HC job?  I doubt it.  

Yea, ideally you'd want the next HC to bring in their own DC, especially to get rid of that lazy nepotistic reputation of Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
How the hell are the thugs on defense, lol burfict is no thug and neither is Jones, they are just emotional players. As for Gunther I agree he's the only coach who wanted to hold guys accountable, and the puppet marvin said no. Can't wait to celebrate that guy leaving, I will throw a party. Thanks for nothing but dissapointment marvin.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, every single coach and assistant needs to go no exceptions. Then in hiring the hard and fast rule has to be no old Bengals coaches allowed under any circumstances. The culture in place now has to be utterly destroyed.
Reply/Quote
Guenther needs to gtfo! Guy had the absolute worst linebacking corp when he was coaching there. He inherited a great defense and he's completely dismantled and destroyed what Zimmer built. When we don't get pressure he starts blaming all the players. He's yet to make any good adjustments and his situational play calling is embarrassing.

Guenther, Zampese, and the free agency strategy this team employs are the staple of Mike Brown. Never pulling the trigger on a star player in their prime in free agency to fill a position of need. We will always be a couple pieces away because of it.
Reply/Quote