Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar Guys -Please Give me Your Opinion on This
Video 
I recently got back into playing recently and bought myself a little Zoom floor unit that I've been dicking around with.  It's got  a neat little loop function that's cool to mess with.  Anywhoo, I laid down something similar to Maggot Brain (P-Funk tune) and tried to improvise over it.  It's not really a cover but it's sorta similar.  

I just use the video function on my phone as cheap way to record every now and then, but would like your opinion on this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMSPgbsADA

Does it just sound like wanking or do you think it comes close it all to pulling off the right vibe?
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 10:33 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I recently got back into playing recently and bought myself a little Zoom floor unit that I've been dicking around with.  It's got  a neat little loop function that's cool to mess with.  Anywhoo, I laid down something similar to Maggot Brain (P-Funk tune) and tried to improvise over it.  It's not really a cover but it's sorta similar.  

I just use the video function on my phone as cheap way to record every now and then, but would like your opinion on this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qMSPgbsADA

Does it just sound like wanking or do you think it comes close it all to pulling off the right vibe?

I know what song you are talking about. You definitely captured the vibe of it. Nice playing! You hit a couple of barely bum notes, but nothing too bad, and when I improvise, I do the same. I have improvised so much though, I can turn those sour notes into something I did on purpose. I dig it man. If you hit a bad note, just make it a part of your phrasing. If I get my skype up and running sometime, I can show you what I am talking about.

Feel is the most important thing, and you seem to have a lot of feel when playing. I give it an A. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2015, 11:12 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: I know what song you are talking about. You definitely captured the vibe of it. Nice playing! You hit a couple of barely bum notes, but nothing too bad, and when I improvise, I do the same. I have improvised so much though, I can turn those sour notes into something I did on purpose. I dig it man. If you hit a bad note, just make it a part of your phrasing. If I get my skype up and running sometime, I can show you what I am talking about.

Feel is the most important thing, and you seem to have a lot of feel when playing. I give it an A. ThumbsUp

Thanks, man.  Appreciate it. I figure if I force myself to play over top of stuff for a few minutes at a time I can go back and pick and choose a bunch of licks.  I've really been just trying to see just how much mileage I can get out of those simple 5-7 notes and just switching between natural minor and the blues scale.  Lot of right hand stuff too.

I think the mistake I made when I was younger was focusing on my fret hand speed alone and moving onto to modes and all that jazz without ever properly getting the feel down of the basic stuff (pentatonic, etc.) So I'm I'm doing stuff like this to work on it.

Glad you dug it.  Maybe we should start a running all things guitar thread around here.  Would love to talk shop with some of you all.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. There are a lot of good musicians on this board. I have been playing with BengalsRocker's old drummer. I heard that he is a great guitar player. When the old board first started, a bunch of the old regulars came and watched me play on several occassions. I just love music.

There is a 1-2-3 pattern I can explain to you. I have learned two scales my whole life. The rest is from playing by ear and figuring out the patterns. Most think I know theory. I dont at all. I have learned from jamming with others.

I liked the sound you got too. Very atmospheric!
Reply/Quote
Ha....I am listening to it again. I really dig it. Try doing something without those effects. Although, those effects are awesome, and sounds great for what you are going for.

Man....when I finally post something, you are gonna do the same critiquing for me, lol. I am ready for it. Tongue Rock On ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 12:11 AM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Ha....I am listening to it again. I really dig it. Try doing something without those effects. Although, those effects are awesome, and sounds great for what you are going for.

Man....when I finally post something, you are gonna do the same critiquing for me, lol. I am ready for it.  Tongue  Rock On  ThumbsUp

I'm actually just using an overdrive setting with a bunch of delay and a volume pedal.  He uses a wah in the original version but since I don't dig the one of this unit I decided to mess around with the volume pedal a bit.  Just to break up the dynamic a bit.  The rest if just switching back and forth between pickups and rolling back the tone knob.

I do try to play a bunch just in clean, although usually with a little nit of reverb.  I feel ya though, sometimes ditching the effects is crucial for playing.  Maybe I'll post  a few other things to see what you guys think.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2015, 12:11 AM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Man....when I finally post something, you are gonna do the same critiquing for me, lol. I am ready for it.  Tongue  Rock On  ThumbsUp

Definitely.  
Reply/Quote
Other people need to listen and comment. It is quite good.
Reply/Quote