Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guitar playes
Is there any way for a person with no musical experience or ability to differentiate between great guitarists and good ones, or is it a more technical thing. I hear who the great guitarists are, but I don't know what makes them stand apart from the good ones. Like I just heard Freebird, and I guess it's Allen Collins who plays the solo, and I think how is anyone better than that? But for all I know it sounds really cool, but is fairly simple to play.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's a tough question. There are a LOT of great guitar players.

I saw Eric Clapton live in '83 at Timberwolf Kings Island from about 30 feet away. I'm still blown away.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 01:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is there any way for a person with no musical experience or ability to differentiate between great guitarists and good ones, or is it a more technical thing.  I hear who the great guitarists are, but I don't know what makes them stand apart from the good ones.  Like I just heard Freebird, and I guess it's Allen Collins who plays the solo, and I think how is anyone better than that?  But for all I know it sounds really cool, but is fairly simple to play.

really its personal opinion I would say...   I don't think there is a consensus ranking system  like  #1 golfer in the world or #13 tennis player etc.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 02:48 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: really its personal opinion I would say...   I don't think there is a consensus ranking system  like  #1 golfer in the world or #13 tennis player etc.

Pretty much this....

There is usually a general consensus among people who play on who is great: but how do you rank them?

To the OP... Yeah some solos or riffs that you hear sound great, but are relatively simple to play. It doesn't make it less great though. If you wanna hear two guys just crush it on a guitar, give Holy Wars by Megadeth a listen. There is zero fat on that song, and the playing is amazing.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If you are a MASH fan, Charles was trying to encourage a pianist who lost his arm to continue playing left-handed pieces because he had a gift. He said about himself, "I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music." Ever since I first heard that, I've been trying to tell the difference. I guess the problem is, everyone I hear on say a classic rock station is in the gifted section.

So anyway, if you play the guitar, how difficult is the Freebird solo? I mean it sounds like his hands are moving 1000mph. How about Spanish Fly or Eruption?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
The ears lead to the heart. I honestly think David Gilmour is the best. I have friends that would argue that point. Well, really not argue because the respect is there but prefer someone else. Gilmour makes my heart and soul reach places it doesn’t reach often. Kinda like the music described in Bill & Ted. That stuff that ends wars and unites universes in peace.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 04:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If you are a MASH fan, Charles was trying to encourage a pianist who lost his arm to continue playing left-handed pieces because he had a gift.  He said about himself, "I can play the notes, but I cannot make the music."  Ever since I first heard that, I've been trying to tell the difference.  I guess the problem is, everyone I hear on say a classic rock station is in the gifted section.  

So anyway, if you play the guitar, how difficult is the Freebird solo?  I mean it sounds like his hands are moving 1000mph.   How about Spanish Fly or Eruption?

or bucket heads Jordan

Or thru the fire and flames.. .if your judging on notes per second   we can probly figure out the fastest guitarist   but does that make them the best.

To me Jimmy Page is one of my all time favorites.

As for Free bird I can play it on expert on guitar hero....  its long but not close to the hardest even on there.(not that that's the best way to judge...)

here is a list of some of the hardest guitar somes

https://www.thetoptens.com/most-difficult-guitar-songs/

which would put van halen at the top...

Reply/Quote
oh to many videos

master of puppets is on the list and of course cliffs of dover

Reply/Quote
Lots of guys can play fast.  The guys who can put "feeling" into their playing are better than the pure technicians.

First time I saw Stevie Rey Vaughn live he played a version of "Texas Flood" on Austin City Limits in the early 80's.  It blew my mind. I still remember exactly where I was when I saw it.

Also check out Hendrix "Hear that Train a' Coming" from Rainbow Bridge concert.

Guys like that are wizards who conjure magic from guitars.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lots of guys can play fast.  The guys who can put "feeling" into their playing are better than the pure technicians.

First time I saw Stevie Rey Vaughn live he played a version of "Texas Flood" on Austin City Limits in the early 80's.  It blew my mind. I still remember exactly where I was when I saw it.

Also check out Hendrix "Hear that Train a' Coming" from Rainbow Bridge concert.

Guys like that are wizards who conjure magic from guitars.

I think I’m getting a better idea. You know whenever you hear the British guys talk about their influences it’s always blues guys they talk about. Cool sounding names I’ve never heard, but obviously seriously talented. From a casual observer it always seemed the British rock musicians embraced American blues far more than than most American musicians did. I think I’ll try listening to the blues channel on Music Chousr when I go to bed.

Reply/Quote
Joe Satriani plays with a lot of feeling and has a unique sound. Al Di Meola is probably the most technically sound guitar I have ever heard.

I am still a fan of Carlos Santana.

Now if you getting to classical guitar there are plenty of good players.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 02:21 PM)Goalpost Wrote: That's a tough question.  There are a LOT of great guitar players.  

I saw Eric Clapton live in '83 at Timberwolf Kings Island from about 30 feet away.  I'm still blown away.

Was at that show as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
It depends on the difference between being a great guitar player and a great artist.

Just get on Youtube. You can see some of the best guitar players in the world and some are barely middle-schoolers.

Great artists on guitar? Not so easy to come by.

To answer you question about Free Bird. Yes it's difficult because some can even play every note and it not sound the same.

If you're shredding scales and sweep picking with no feeling no one will know the wiser.

It takes more than hitting the right notes to play something accurate.

A lot of players just don't get that though.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marcus King is my new favorite guitar slayer

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2018, 10:33 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The ears lead to the heart. I honestly think David Gilmour is the best. I have friends that would argue that point. Well, really not argue because the respect is there but prefer someone else. Gilmour makes my heart and soul reach places it doesn’t reach often. Kinda like the music described in Bill & Ted. That stuff that ends wars and unites universes in peace.

I love Gilmour, but I'm a HUGE Buddy Guy proponent.  Junior Brown is no joke either.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
One the best that ever lived.  Rest In Peace Gary.

Andy Timmons is one of my modern favorites.  Great player and tone. This is some serious flat pickin' here like Glen Campbell good.

Most chicken pickin' uses all fingers... not this one!

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 04:04 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I love Gilmour, but I'm a HUGE Buddy Guy proponent.  Junior Brown is no joke either.....

Buddy will be in Dayton, Ohio July 11th. https://dayton.eventticketscenter.com/buddy-guy-dayton-tickets/211011/e?gclid=CjwKCAjww6XXBRByEiwAM-ZUIMlofBJNwnwnBto3fBiXbmMfSyWek1tuSMxKsofncGrbdgkame6CuxoCTX0QAvD_BwE

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2018, 06:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Buddy will be in Dayton, Ohio July 11th. https://dayton.eventticketscenter.com/buddy-guy-dayton-tickets/211011/e?gclid=CjwKCAjww6XXBRByEiwAM-ZUIMlofBJNwnwnBto3fBiXbmMfSyWek1tuSMxKsofncGrbdgkame6CuxoCTX0QAvD_BwE

Yup, caught him at Fraze Pavilion a few years ago.  I've seen him 5 times.  I was going to catch this one, but it is only a week away from a music festival in my home town.....being that John Prine is headlining, I can't miss it.  I've never seen Prine.....bucket list.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 09:48 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yup, caught him at Fraze Pavilion a few years ago.  I've seen him 5 times.  I was going to catch this one, but it is only a week away from a music festival in my home town.....being that John Prine is headlining, I can't miss it.  I've never seen Prine.....bucket list.

Saw John Prine at the Kentucky Theater in Lexington about 20 years ago or so. A National Treasure imho. Father Time is taking his toll on John, if recent YouTube video is any indication, but I'm willing to bet you'll be amazed.

On topic, this thread is proof that no matter how many guitarists have been mentioned here, it's only the tip of the iceberg. My personal favorites of Bonamassa, Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks will always challenge my imagination.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2018, 10:52 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Saw John Prine at the Kentucky Theater in Lexington about 20 years ago or so. A National Treasure imho. Father Time is taking his toll on John, if recent YouTube video is any indication, but I'm willing to bet you'll be amazed.

On topic, this thread is proof that no matter how many guitarists have been mentioned here, it's only the tip of the iceberg. My personal favorites of Bonamassa, Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks will always challenge my imagination.

Love all of those cats too.  Freddie King, Magic Sam, Earl Hooker, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, BB King, The Vaughan Brothers, Duane Allman, Dickie Betts, the original Skynyrd guys, Slash, Johnny Hiland, Jimi, Billy Gibbons, Kirk Hammett, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Jeff, Beck, Johnny Winter, Tom Morrello, Tommy Iommi, Fast Eddie from Motorhead, Carl Perkins, Chuck Berry, so many greats.....hard to nail them down.

As for Prine.....that's the main reason I can't miss this.  I consider Buddy Guy a natural treasure too.

Reply/Quote