Poll: would you comply
yes
no
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun owner poll
If a law was passed requiring you to get a license to own a weapon and to register all of your guns in your name would you comply?
Nope. Even in every attempt I have made at trying to resolve these issues, I have avoided the idea of a registry. I also don't like being licensed to own a firearm. I don't have any objections for a permit-to-purchase, which is different, or even a permit to carry in public, but a license to own should not happen.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I would but wouldn't like it if it involved minor guns like a simple hunting rifle, a .22, or a single load shotgun for example. Or any older guns handed down.

If it is more powerful gun from semi handhelds to assault rifles, I don't have much of an issue with that. ANd if not, at least make it a lot more difficult than it currently is to obtain with background checks, permits, etc.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-03-2019, 05:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would but wouldn't like it if it involved minor guns like a simple hunting rifle, a .22, or a single load shotgun for example. Or any older guns handed down.

If it is more powerful gun from semi handhelds to assault rifles, I don't have much of an issue with that. ANd if not, at least make it a lot more difficult than it currently is to obtain with background checks, permits, etc.

My hunting rifle is more powerful than an AR-15. Just saying.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-03-2019, 05:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My hunting rifle is more powerful than an AR-15. Just saying.

Sure, but is it scary looking?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Who pays for the license?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Worth noting, this poll means Fred is getting a record of who here owns guns (by people who vote) and who would hide them if confiscation happened (by answering you would not comply).

It's why a lot of gun polls I don't think are very accurate. There's a large chunk of gun owners out there who don't prefer to openly advertise they are, or if they do, what/how many they own. Likely doubly so these days with candidates touting confiscation and cities calling them terrorists for supporting a Constitutional right.

(10-03-2019, 07:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worth noting, this poll means Fred is getting a record of who here owns guns (by people who vote) and who would hide them if confiscation happened (by answering you would not comply).

It's why a lot of gun polls I don't think are very accurate. There's a large chunk of gun owners out there who don't prefer to openly advertise they are, or if they do, what/how many they own. Likely doubly so these days with candidates touting confiscation and cities calling them terrorists for supporting a Constitutional right.

You noticed that too?

This thread is actually unnecessary as the real world has already supplied the answer to this question.  The compliance with New York states registration law has been estimated at around 4%. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-safe-act-weapons-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/massive-noncompliance-with-safe-act/
(10-03-2019, 07:01 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worth noting, this poll means Fred is getting a record of who here owns guns (by people who vote) and who would hide them if confiscation happened (by answering you would not comply).

Μολὼν λαβέ !
(10-03-2019, 05:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would but wouldn't like it if it involved minor guns like a simple hunting rifle, a .22, or a single load shotgun for example. Or any older guns handed down.

You just described my gunz!  Gave the double barrel (1900 Simmons, damascus barrel) to my nephew.
(10-03-2019, 07:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You noticed that too?

This thread is actually unnecessary as the real world has already supplied the answer to this question.  The compliance with New York states registration law has been estimated at around 4%. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-safe-act-weapons-registry-numbers-released-article-1.2267730

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/massive-noncompliance-with-safe-act/

I'm on record as a gun owner, already, so not a concern for me. And hell, I've only purchased one firearm this century, so it'll be hard for them to know what I have! LOL

(10-03-2019, 07:35 PM)Dill Wrote: Μολὼν λαβέ !

I think the ones driving around with that on their vehicles will be the ones of greater concern to law enforcement were such a law to pass. Saying I'd resist compliance on this message board ain't exactly broadcasting it as much as those folks.

Though to be fair, the ones that also drive around with a thin blue line flag right next to that would be very conflicted.

(10-03-2019, 07:35 PM)Dill Wrote: Μολὼν λαβέ !

Eh? Apparently either I wasn't being observant or there isn't too much of that out where I am at. What is it?

(10-03-2019, 08:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm on record as a gun owner, already, so not a concern for me. And hell, I've only purchased one firearm this century, so it'll be hard for them to know what I have! LOL

Yeah, I was just saying that it was funny how that turned out. Not like "haha" funny, but "hmm, that's odd" funny. 

Inheritance is exactly why I laugh when I see news articles where they are like "so-and-so had SEVEN guns in their house" as some kind of indictment on them. Your grandpa has three guns, your dad has three guns. You have one gun. It means eventually you'll own seven guns and might have only ever bought one. It's up there with articles mentioning people having "almost a thousand bullets" as absurdity, as if .22 LR isn't sold in 525 boxes, or you can't easily shoot a couple hundred rounds/shells at a range, shooting clay pidgeons, or on a farm just plinking in a short period of time.

(10-03-2019, 08:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think the ones driving around with that on their vehicles will be the ones of greater concern to law enforcement were such a law to pass. Saying I'd resist compliance on this message board ain't exactly broadcasting it as much as those folks.

Though to be fair, the ones that also drive around with a thin blue line flag right next to that would be very conflicted.

Until they pass the Cohen ACT, I don't think they'll have much interest in my collection of barely lethal weapons. Meantime I am not about to give up these family heirlooms.

My 1859 Remington cap and ball revolver doesn't even count as a "firearm" in some states. (That one's a replica, not an heirloom, though.)
(10-03-2019, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh? Apparently either I wasn't being observant or there isn't too much of that out where I am at. What is it?

All over Western PA.

[Image: th?id=OIP.st7avaUUX3dMqEAAFzhypAHaEK&pid...=291&h=165]
[Image: th?id=OIP.v8U6YsPC6A8dDLcCwtYAEQHaCh&pid...=550&h=187]
(10-03-2019, 08:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm on record as a gun owner, already, so not a concern for me. And hell, I've only purchased one firearm this century, so it'll be hard for them to know what I have! LOL

I am as well, but I'd never volunteer what I own on any internet board in the current climate.  Certainly not in response to a poll conducted by telephone.

Quote:I think the ones driving around with that on their vehicles will be the ones of greater concern to law enforcement were such a law to pass. Saying I'd resist compliance on this message board ain't exactly broadcasting it as much as those folks.

Seeing as there's almost zero appetite amongst law enforcement for going out and physically enforcing these laws I don't think there'd be any cause for being conflicted.  The vast majority of rank and file law enforcement and military are pro gun ownership.
(10-03-2019, 08:28 PM)Dill Wrote: All over Western PA.

You see them in Southern California all the time as well.
(10-03-2019, 08:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Eh? Apparently either I wasn't being observant or there isn't too much of that out where I am at. What is it?

(10-03-2019, 08:28 PM)Dill Wrote: All over Western PA.

Anglicized and not translated: Molon Labe. It's also written in the form you see in those images of Dill's. It's rooted in Leonidas's response to Xerxes when Xerxes demanded Sparta throw down their weapons.

From there, the phrase entered American mythology during the Revolutionary War but is most remembered from the Texas Revolution at the Battle of Gonzales.
[Image: 1920px-Gonzales_Flag.JPG]

Since then, it has been used by military units all over the world, including our special operations folks, as a statement similar to "never surrender." It was adopted by the 2A crowd around the time of the assault weapons ban and has been prevalent since then.

(10-03-2019, 08:33 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Seeing as there's almost zero appetite amongst law enforcement for going out and physically enforcing these laws I don't think there'd be any cause for being conflicted.  The vast majority of rank and file law enforcement and military are pro gun ownership.

I'm aware, though my point is that were such a law enacted it would be the responsibility of the police and/or military to carry out those orders and enforce the law. You'd have a lot of people refuse, and possibly resign, but you'd have those that would carry out those orders. The thin blue line for those guys would be at a breaking point in that moment.

(10-03-2019, 08:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm aware, though my point is that were such a law enacted it would be the responsibility of the police and/or military to carry out those orders and enforce the law. You'd have a lot of people refuse, and possibly resign, but you'd have those that would carry out those orders. The thin blue line for those guys would be at a breaking point in that moment.

I think far fewer than you'd generally consider.  Which is why I always get a kick out of politicians like Swallwell and Robert Frances who say the civilian population would have zero chance of resisting the government.  It's almost like they forget that law enforcement and military personnel aren't mindless automatons but citizens like everyone else.
(10-03-2019, 08:40 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Anglicized and not translated: Molon Labe. It's also written in the form you see in those images of Dill's. It's rooted in Leonidas's response to Xerxes when Xerxes demanded Sparta throw down their weapons.

People sometimes forget--that ended badly for the Spartan king.

[Image: 300_beautiful_death_by_arizlaan.jpg]