Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gutter people
Ok, clickbait title I know. You came here to figure out who I was calling gutter people. However, it does apply to my question. Who knows about gutters? I had some installed and I think it was done incorrectly. My gutter sags in the middle instead of giving that slant to let all the water out. Plus, water leaks between the gutter and the wood it's screwed into? WTF? I think when I see the guy who did it, I'm gonna slightly punch him in the face because I already asked him to fix it once, which he did come down, but problem remains. How do I fix? Do I need to totally remove the gutter?

JK on the punching in the face, but I can't honestly say it hasnt crossed my mind a few thousand times.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My advice would be to contact the original contractor and explain he has one more chance to fix the problems properly, then explain that if it is not done properly, another contractor will be brought in to fix the problems at his expense. If needed, you might contact your home owners insurance company for advice on the issue. They generally want to make sure the investment they are making in your dwelling is a safe one, so they might be willing to flex their legal muscle to the contractor. It's possible you might have to make a claim for that to happen thought...
Reply/Quote
I got a feeling that the gutter man will likely try to pass the blame onto the roofer, for not installing a proper "drip edge". (this is where you need to be preemptively getting onto your ladder, and doing some investigating) If you discover that there is a drip edge installed, then the gutter man screwed up. If there is no drip edge, then you could have more of a struggle in getting satisfaction.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2020, 08:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I got a feeling that the gutter man will likely try to pass the blame onto the roofer, for not installing a proper "drip edge".  (this is where you need to be preemptively getting onto your ladder, and doing some investigating)  If you discover that there is a drip edge installed, then the gutter man screwed up.  If there is no drip edge, then you could have more of a struggle in getting satisfaction.

I was up on the ladder yesterday. It has a drip edge but unfortunately in the locations where the screws go through the gutter into to roof, they tin snipped slots in it instead of going through it. I grabbed a tube of caulking and tried to seal them places off. I guess we will see what happens when it rains.

Reply/Quote
Maybe they want to put a new down spout on where it droops? Huh? Ever think of that? Maybe they are doing some new and improved work that no one, and I mean NO ONE, knows about yet? Your the first! Congratulations! ????
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 02:02 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Maybe they want to put a new down spout on where it droops?  Huh?  Ever think of that?  Maybe they are doing some new and improved work that no one, and I mean NO ONE, knows about yet?  Your the first!  Congratulations!  ????

LOL

It's right in front of the doorway to the mancave where it sags. 

Reply/Quote
(06-01-2020, 05:07 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL

It's right in front of the doorway to the mancave where it sags. 

Yeah, seems like you might have been the unlucky recipient of a rush job, on that installation.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The only solution is to rebuild the entire house starting with a new gutter....or new facia boards so you can reconnect the new gutters right the first time..well..second time now..  There's a good chance the facia boards are rotted or pretty close to rotted..  if that's the case replace them with rot resistant wood, preferably perhaps cedar or white oak. I don't trust box stores for lumber so if you have to go to those extremes go to a real lumber yard and NOT lowes or HD.. They only sell sh*t for lumber..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 06:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: The only solution is to rebuild the entire house starting with a new gutter....or new facia boards so you can reconnect the new gutters right the first time..well..second time now..  There's a good chance the facia boards are rotted or pretty close to rotted..  if that's the case replace them with rot resistant wood, preferably perhaps cedar or white oak. I don't trust box stores for lumber so if you have to go to those extremes go to a real lumber yard and NOT lowes or HD.. They only sell sh*t for lumber..

Really? Thats good to know about Lowes and Home Dept (Not HD, HD stands for, well, ME)? 

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2020, 06:31 PM)grampahol Wrote: The only solution is to rebuild the entire house starting with a new gutter....or new facia boards so you can reconnect the new gutters right the first time..well..second time now..  There's a good chance the facia boards are rotted or pretty close to rotted..  if that's the case replace them with rot resistant wood, preferably perhaps cedar or white oak. I don't trust box stores for lumber so if you have to go to those extremes go to a real lumber yard and NOT lowes or HD.. They only sell sh*t for lumber..

(06-05-2020, 07:01 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Really? Thats good to know about Lowes and Home Dept (Not HD, HD stands for, well, ME)? 

They both sold good lumber at one point in time, but then things changed with the way lumber is treated.  Since then the stuff from the Big Box stores can only be considered a temporary product, at best.  I built a ramp to a shed with Lowe's lumber rated for ground contact.  3 years later it was a pile of mush.  The shed it was attached to was still standing strong, 20 years after it was built with lumber from...Lowe's.
Reply/Quote
Ever been to Lowes to find..say..20 16 foot treated 2x12s? You'll have to dig through 50 of them to find 5 without knots, bends, twists, cupping and so forth not to mention almost every board comes directly from the treatment facilities so they're dripping wet and heavy as hell. 
We buy decking from a real lumber yard where everything is outside and covered so air can circulate and customers aren't digging around the trash boards for one decent board out of 50.
We recently built a deck for a customer and had it all delivered. Every board was dead flat, straight and nearly knot free. You'll never find that at the box stores stores. So we buy from a locally owned and family operated business who has a reputation to maintain with builders instead of every Tom, Dick and Harry with a circular saw in their garage. 
Box stores are ok for a one time item of convenience, a box of screws, a cheap ass shovel and such and the occasional sale items and maybe a few 2x's if you're feeling lucky, but I damned sure wouldn't buy a whole house full of lumber from one. Not now and not ever..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote