Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys Don't Get Too Upset Or Excited Over FA And The Draft
Some people are getting fired up about what we should or shouldn't be doing in FA with our own players and other players. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one bit. Marvin Lewis is coming back to coach this year and that means it doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign. With Lewis back we aren't going far because he doesn't have the ability as a head coach to do that. He had a window to do something special with this Version 2.0 Bengals and whiffed it the same way he did with the past players/personal.

This season is going to end just as ugly as it has every season, so just have fun with the few scraps of wins and moments we get from the Bengals because thats all we're getting!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Some people are getting fired up about what we should or shouldn't be doing in FA with our own players and other players. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one bit. Marvin Lewis is coming back to coach this year and that means it doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign. With Lewis back we aren't going far because he doesn't have the ability as a head coach to do that.  He had a window to do something special with this Version 2.0 Bengals and whiffed it the same way he did with the past players/personal.

This season is going to end just as ugly as it has every season, so just have fun with the few scraps of wins and moments we get from the Bengals because thats all we're getting!

Truth.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Marvin has ever had to operate as our head coach without the guarantee of a contract the following year.

Making him coach out a contract year like he loves to make players play out contract years could maybe, just maybe see him show some urgency to win.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Some people are getting fired up about what we should or shouldn't be doing in FA with our own players and other players. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter one bit. Marvin Lewis is coming back to coach this year and that means it doesn't matter who we sign or don't sign. With Lewis back we aren't going far because he doesn't have the ability as a head coach to do that.  He had a window to do something special with this Version 2.0 Bengals and whiffed it the same way he did with the past players/personal.

Lol

You are talking to the fan base that makes "I'm leaving" threads during UDFA signings...........

While not quite as down on the teams future.... I can still agree that our fan base is severely over reactive at times.
Reply/Quote

I don't agree. This team started 8-0 before Dalton got injured. Don't tell me injuries are part of the game. Losing your starting QB after an 8-0 start hurt. ...Then we lost all those Bengals to Free Agency last March and we just weren't as good.  If we lose even more players 12 months later, that team that started 8-0 will have many starters on other teams.  So the team was 8-0 with Coach Lewis, and losing players to free agency again this March will hurt. It IS important who we keep starting 4 PM Thursday. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I don't think Marvin has ever had to operate as our head coach without the guarantee of a contract the following year.

Making him coach out a contract year like he loves to make players play out contract years could maybe, just maybe see him show some urgency to win.

you're proposing enacting a policy of trickle down urgency.  unfortunately there is only one thing trickling from the limp pinnacle of this org chart...  it aint urgency.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:34 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: Lol

You are talking to the fan base that makes "I'm leaving" threads during UDFA signings...........

While not quite as down on the teams future.... I can still agree that our fan base is severely over reactive at times.

There is some truth to what you say. However, I think a lot of the fans are tired of watching other teams win every year. I think 1 Lombardi would change a lot of things for Bengals fans. Just 1. The problem is, since our owner took over, we've never even been close to getting that 1. Our owner/GM keeps trying to force his square peg in the round hole that is the NFL. Yes, we have seen some regular season success, but fans (understandably) want more. For almost 30 years, Mike Brown's way HAS NOT WORKED. I think we'd all like to see the team finally catch up with the 21st century NFL and show us that they really do want to win.
Reply/Quote
Is this really Marvin coaching in a "contract year?" The way I see it, he's going to look at this like some sort of farewell tour. He's not going to get re-signed and he knows enough about football to know he wouldn't have enough talent left to win anyway. He's going to bank this one last season and ride out into the sunset.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I think Marvin will probably be back. He keeps saying he wants an extension and Jim O has said that Marvin usually gets extended in April. We're not out of the woods yet.

The thing that really has to suck is that even if we do move on from Marvin, the next coach will still be stuck with Alexander the Great coaching the OLine.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:27 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Is this really Marvin coaching in a "contract year?" The way I see it, he's going to look at this like some sort of farewell tour. He's not going to get re-signed and he knows enough about football to know he wouldn't have enough talent left to win anyway. He's going to bank this one last season and ride out into the sunset.

Well, at least he won't have to worry about losing that 8th playoff game.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Oh I totally agree godfather - we're not going anywhere with Marvin still our HC.

But it would still be nice to see Mike Brown commit to this core group of players and try and get them some help before it's to late.

Most likely it's going to be the same old same old. Then resign Marvin as the icing on the cake !
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 06:30 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: I think Marvin will probably be back. He keeps saying he wants an extension and Jim O has said that Marvin usually gets extended in April. We're not out of the woods yet.

The thing that really has to suck is that even if we do move on from Marvin, the next coach will still be stuck with Alexander the Great coaching the OLine.

hey, watch out for making fun of "alexander the great". After all, he WAS a guest speaker! Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:39 PM)kevin Wrote: I don't agree. This team started 8-0 before Dalton got injured. Don't tell me injuries are part of the game. Losing your starting QB after an 8-0 start hurt. ...Then we lost all those Bengals to Free Agency last March and we just weren't as good.  If we lose even more players 12 months later, that team that started 8-0 will have many starters on other teams.  So the team was 8-0 with Coach Lewis, and losing players to free agency again this March will hurt. It IS important who we keep starting 4 PM Thursday. 

Dalton wasn't injured until game 12 and we were on a 2-2 run after that 8-0 start.

Besides, that was the window Marvin had to make his run and he flopped.

For me, Dalton had his best year last year, but it wasn't enough to overcome the poor drafts and free agent choices. No reason to believe he'll be able to this year. Ogbuehi fulltime on the left side? We gotta be kidding!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I totally agree godfather - we're not going anywhere with Marvin still our HC.

But it would still be nice to see Mike Brown commit to this core group of players and try and get them some help before it's to late.

Most likely it's going to be the same old same old. Then resign Marvin as the icing on the cake !

I know and won't it feel like a big F-U to Bengal fans from Mike Brown and company?

(03-08-2017, 11:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Dalton wasn't injured until game 12 and we were on a 2-2 run after that 8-0 start.

Besides, that was the window Marvin had to make his run and he flopped.

For me, Dalton had his best year last year, but it wasn't enough to overcome the poor drafts and free agent choices. No reason to believe he'll be able to this year. Ogbuehi fulltime on the left side? We gotta be kidding!

That sums it up perfectly!
Reply/Quote