Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guys Remember This Moment
(12-06-2018, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'll admit that I don't understand the benefit of wallowing in self pity and actively avoiding hope.  So please enlighten me.

And everyone who disagrees with me rags on me.  Just look at the comments you just made about me.

So what is your point?

You believe that the only value a thing can have is monetary.  How can I explain the value of anything to you? 

My point is stop saying to each his own and then acting the exact opposite.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(12-06-2018, 08:10 PM)McC Wrote: You believe that the only value a thing can have is monetary.  How can I explain the value of anything to you?  

Actually I am the one who said hope was free, just the same as self pity.  To me the value is in living a happier life instead of trying to cultivate a hopeless victim mentality.

You can't make financial decisions based on hope, but the outlook for your favorite team has nothing to do with money.
(12-06-2018, 08:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I am the one who said hope was free, just the same as self pity.  To me the value is in living a happier life instead of trying to cultivate a hopeless victim mentality.

You can't make financial decisions based on hope, but the outlook for your favorite team has nothing to do with money.

Hope is as valuable as it gets.  Life without hope is not worth living, hence the preciousness.  Most of life's truly important commodities cost nothing, but that doesn't mean they aren't valuable.  But hope wasted is a scourge on the soul.  No one is even talking about financial decisions.  Please stay on topic.

How is it self pity to see bad things happening and be pissed by them?  It's what any normal human would do.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(12-06-2018, 08:33 PM)McC Wrote:  But hope wasted is a scourge on the soul. 

There is no such thing as "wasted" hope when it has no effect on the outcome.  

You can either live a hopeful happy life or a sad depressing life wallowing in self pity.  The choice is yours.
(12-06-2018, 08:33 PM)McC Wrote: How is it self pity to see bad things happening and be pissed by them?  It's what any normal human would do.

You can't see the future.  You can be as sad as you want when something bad happens, but no need to be sad before it happens.

How many Eagle fans thought they would win the Super Bowl before last season started?  Lots of them wasted months being miserable because they "knew" they were not going to win a championship.

I will not waste my life being miserable about something that might not happen.
(12-06-2018, 08:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually I am the one who said hope was free, just the same as self pity.  To me the value is in living a happier life instead of trying to cultivate a hopeless victim mentality.

Hope springs eternal, after sixteen years it starts to fade into oblivion.
(12-06-2018, 08:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't see the future.  You can be as sad as you want when something bad happens, but no need to be sad before it happens.

How many Eagle fans thought they would win the Super Bowl before last season started?  Lots of them wasted months being miserable because they "knew" they were not going to win a championship.

I will not waste my life being miserable about something that might not happen.

Just because you can’t see the future doesn’t mean you can’t shelter yourself from things that may go wrong. Research has proven that people who see the worse in things (pessimism) have a better ability dealing with stress, which leads to being less prone to heart related problems. Just because someone looks at a situation different than you doesn’t automatically means it’s worse.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(12-06-2018, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Only s fool calls hope "a precious commodity".  Hope is absolutely free.

To me wallowing in self pity and trying to avoid hope in order to maintain a victim mentality seems like a pathetic way to live life.

But to each his own.

Or, you could just look at the results of the past 25/15+ years, including the team doing things differently, see the same outcome and realize that no matter what they do, it's not enough to move past the first round of the playoffs. 

Then you simply adjust your expectations to the most realistic possible outcome. No need to go all extremist and think everyone wallows in self-pity and has a victims mentality.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Hope flew out the Jungle in the form of an all out blitz against Pittsburg.

Do the Bengals deserve our hope? We know MB doesn't care about doing things to keep the City hopeful. At this point it's safer on the soul to expect the worst as long as Marvin remains HC.

After 16 years all we can do is yearn for the days of playoff meltdowns. A sad state of affairs for Bengal fans.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Remember this moment? Pfft! In my lifetime, it seems like I've had a few dozen "remember this moment" moments, as a fan of the Bengals. One thing in common? They were all bad moments. The first of which that brings a stinging resonance to mind is 1st and goal from the 3, in Super Bowl 16. Each "moment" from then on seemed to get worse, like watching the Bengals lose the lead in the 4th Quarter in Super Bowl 23. (I really thought we were going to win that game..). Then, fast forward past a few "moments", like Paul passing and Mike gutting what was a proud organization, we land in 2005.

Yep, in 2005 we were full of hope, for change... Marvin Lewis looked like he was actually going to come through on making us relevant, Carson Palmer was living up to expectations, the team was on the rise. Then, Kimo takes the knee... What a moment.

Then, we skip past several more "moments" and land in 2015. I was confident, this was the year! Zimmer had built a fantastic defense, the offense was only a Center of being completely unstoppable. Then, just when Marvin Lewis was about to overcome all the frustration, criticism, and negativity? Boom, Burfict takes the brain.. The team melts down, gets additional penalties, effectively giving the game away to our most hated rival.

My point from my story? Nobody needs to tell me to "remember this moment", as I have a lifetime of "moments" to remember as a fan of this team. I'll be 50 in February, I just take solace in the confidence that I'm going to outlive Mike Brown, and hopefully the team will return to the proud organization it was when I was young. Call me a homer, but I still believe that I'll see the Bengals win a Championship in my lifetime. (I just figured they would have had a couple by now..)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(12-06-2018, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remember this moment?  Pfft!  In my lifetime, it seems like I've had a few dozen "remember this moment" moments, as a fan of the Bengals.  One thing in common?  They were all bad moments.  The first of which that brings a stinging resonance to mind is 1st and goal from the 3, in Super Bowl 16.  Each "moment" from then on seemed to get worse, like watching the Bengals lose the lead in the 4th Quarter in Super Bowl 23. (I really thought we were going to win that game..).  Then, fast forward past a few "moments", like Paul passing and Mike gutting what was a proud organization, we land in 2005.  

Yep, in 2005 we were full of hope, for change...  Marvin Lewis looked like he was actually going to come through on making us relevant, Carson Palmer was living up to expectations, the team was on the rise.  Then, Kimo takes the knee... What a moment.  

Then, we skip past several more "moments" and land in 2015.  I was confident, this was the year!  Zimmer had built a fantastic defense, the offense was only a Center of being completely unstoppable.  Then, just when Marvin Lewis was about to overcome all the frustration, criticism, and negativity?  Boom, Burfict takes the brain..  The team melts down, gets additional penalties, effectively giving the game away to our most hated rival.

My point from my story?  Nobody needs to tell me to "remember this moment", as I have a lifetime of "moments" to remember as a fan of this team.  I'll be 50 in February, I just take solace in the confidence that I'm going to outlive Mike Brown, and hopefully the team will return to the proud organization it was when I was young.  Call me a homer, but I still believe that I'll see the Bengals win a Championship in my lifetime.  (I just figured they would have had a couple by now..)

I really hope the Bengals win a championship in your lifetime and everyone else's on this board. But its not gonna happen anytime soon. My point is nothing changes from year to year with Lewis, its always the same outcome. Always! So next season if you think its going to be different, it wont be.

Speaking of 2015 wild card game, I knew they would blow it. Was I pissed? Yes but I also looked at my son with a shrug and a "There it is, classic Bengals" We both knew they would find a way to implode and lose. Lewis cant compete on that next level as a coach. All sports especially football say things really take things to a different level in playoffs. Lewis has proved time and time again..he isn't up for the challenge and will never be.

And if for some miracle we have a different HC AND staff next year, dont expect a big heavy run year one. It will take some time for whoever takes over to steer the ship right if it is indeed someone at that caliber.

If its Hue, I will refer to it as Marvin Lewis 2.0...
(12-06-2018, 09:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Or, you could just look at the results of the past 25/15+ years, including the team doing things differently, see the same outcome and realize that no matter what they do, it's not enough to move past the first round of the playoffs. 

Then you simply adjust your expectations to the most realistic possible outcome. No need to go all extremist and think everyone wallows in self-pity and has a victims mentality.

^
This. Glad someone gets it.
(12-06-2018, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why would anyone choose misery over hope.  It will all turn out the same no matter what.  So why choose to be miserable when you can have hope?

I guess some people just love to.  .  .  .  

Never mind.

To each his own.

Asking why anyone would choose to be miserable could be seen as a compelling argument to stop being a fan of this franchise. 
I'm just hoping for some real change this time. No more window dressing, no more lipstick on a pig, no more nibbling around the edges !

Hire an offensive minded outside HC and let him rework staff to his liking. Actually go out and get a couple real free agents. Get rid of the dead wood and stop this loyalty BS.

I'd add a GM but Mikey will never allow that.

Give us some hope MB, fat chance I know.
(12-06-2018, 07:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  And if we fire Marvin and get rid of every coach you still won't be happy if we go 5-11 next year.

The whole line about "being happy if we just try something different" is total BS.  If we don't win you won't be happy no matter how much they change.

Um.....why wouldn't I?  I'm fine with 5-7 at FSU because I KNOW that a regime change will take time to yield results. Mellow  You're putting words in my mouth that you have no clue about.  I'm not some casual fan.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Life lessons about hope on a message board for a team that has won 5 PO games in 51 years? I have truly seen it all now.

(12-07-2018, 10:27 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Life lessons about hope on a message board for a team that has won 5 PO games in 51 years? I have truly seen it all now.

Yeah....you're right.  This isn't how people live their lives.  This is a message board dedicated to a team that has an owner that has pummeled its fans for decades.  We're all fans of the team.  We're just frustrated, not wallowing in misery or any other ridiculous description that gets tossed around.  This is a sounding board for people to express those frustrations and vent a little.  It shouldn't be taken that seriously.

"Better send those refunds..."

(12-06-2018, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why would anyone choose misery over hope.  It will all turn out the same no matter what.  So why choose to be miserable when you can have hope?

I guess some people just love to.  .  .  .  

Never mind.

To each his own.

It's choosing to be realistic and face facts, not miserable.  MB, ML and HJ are never going to win anything......ever.
(12-06-2018, 05:38 PM)GodFather Wrote: Remember this moment and you won't be in traction this time next year because you know its coming. 

This is complete BS.

The people who claim the saw it coming are the most miserable people on this board.  They are the ones crying the loudest and ranting the hardest.  So they have gained nothing by being miserable longer than me.

What cracks me up is the way they try to claim that it does not bother them any more or they are numb to it.  Then they come 9ut with threads like this saying "DON'T FORGET THE PAIN!  HOLD ON TO IT AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN!  DON'T LET HOPE CREEP INTO YOUR THOUGHTS!"
(12-07-2018, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is complete BS.

The people who claim the saw it coming are the most miserable people on this board.  They are the ones crying the loudest and ranting the hardest.  So they have gained nothing by being miserable longer than me.

What cracks me up is the way they try to claim that it does not bother them any more or they are numb to it.  Then they come 9ut with threads like this saying "DON'T FORGET THE PAIN!  HOLD ON TO IT AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN!  DON'T LET HOPE CREEP INTO YOUR THOUGHTS!"

Fred the only thing we have to hold onto is the hope. Hope that Mike Brown will give us some hope and shit can the crew that's running the show now. 

Without a complete new direction under a new staff this team is going nowhere again next season and Hue isn't the answer.